Why Do New/Temporary Stylist Try to Trim Your Hair

kim1006

Here's the situation:

I went to another stylist in the same shop the weekend of the 4th of July because my regular stylist needed to leave early. The stylist asked if she could trim my hair, I said no.

Two weeks later I went to my old stylist who owns a different shop and had my hair trimmed. However, instead of trimming my hair straight, she chopped into it. Two weeks later, I went to my regular stylist, who had never trimmed my hair and had it retrimmed straight - I liked the trim.

Today, I go to my regular stylist's shop, but she was not there, so I asked the other stylist in the shop to style my hair. Guess what, she asked if she could trim my hair.

I have recently had two trims and have evaulated my own ends and know I do not need a trim, not even a little one. What's up with this stylist wanting to trim my hair everytime I sit in her chair?????:perplexed

Solitude

^^^ They're crazy. This happened to me, too. I don't normally go to stylists, but my hair got soaking wet the night before law school graduation. I went to a new stylist just for a quick wash and flat iron. (Had an event that night.) She told me my ends were "bad" and needed a trim. Well, I had just had my hair professionally styled and trimmed a week before for my grad pictures :ohwell:.

I actually got up out of the chair and told her I would pay for the wash and flat iron my hair at home. She asked what the problem was and I told her do not touch my hair with scissors. I will make a scene and I will not pay you. Just like that. She apologized and finished my hair and did not say another word.

kim1006

The only thing I can think is that they must be looking for that extra $15-20 for doing a trim

I had not thought of that. You may be right because she said something to me about leaving clips in my hair. It is only $2.00 but that adds up. She styles really nice and my hair holds, so I do not need to leave the clips in.

kim1006

^^^ They're crazy. This happened to me, too. I don't normally go to stylists, but my hair got soaking wet the night before law school graduation. I went to a new stylist just for a quick wash and flat iron. (Had an event that night.) She told me my ends were "bad" and needed a trim. Well, I had just had my hair professionally styled and trimmed a week before for my grad pictures :ohwell:.

I actually got up out of the chair and told her I would pay for the wash and flat iron my hair at home. She asked what the problem was and I told her do not touch my hair with scissors. I will make a scene and I will not pay you. Just like that. She apologized and finished my hair and did not say another word.

Congratulations on completing law school!!!! What a wonderful accomplishment!!!!!

I don't get these stylists. Do they know we care for our hair?????

Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

It could be the extra $10 - $20 or maybe she subscribes to the belief, like many stylist, that cutting hair makes it grow. :perplexed

I am still not sure why anyone believes it, but I do hear women (including stylist) say often that they need to cut hair to make it grow. A stylist at the Aveda salon said that to me a couple of years ago. I refused to let her anywhere near my hair with scissors.

kim1006

It could be the extra $10 - $20 or maybe she subscribes to the belief, like many stylist, that cutting hair makes it grow. :perplexed

I am still not sure why anyone believes it, but I do hear women (including stylist) say often that they need to cut hair to make it grow. A stylist at the Aveda salon said that to me a couple of years ago. I refused to let her anywhere near my hair with scissors.

My hair grows pretty fast, without constant trims, and I am pretty sure she has noticed.

Last edited:

Glamorous_chic

i think the bolded is the reason. i could not understand it for years, and was trying to figure out why i ALWAYS needed TRIMS. no matter what i did, i always needed a trim. but not knowing much about hair, and trusting my stylist, i let her continually trimming my hair, all the while trying to figure out why my hair wouldn't grow. i started going to my stylists biweekly, and considered weekly visits just to try to keep my hair healthy so i wouldn't need such frequent trims. (this was pre-lhcf) i can't even say it was for the money, b/c she would never charge me for the trims(really cuts).

RoseTintedCheeks

I think most stylists don't really know how to style your hair, so cutting it is the easiest way to look like they really did something....

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL

Do you know how many people I've had to correct.

I tell them very nicely and slowly with a SMILE of course:
the hair grows because you are alive and healthy
it looks like the hair is growing faster because it was cut blunt.
When it grows back it is more obvious because the strands have different growth rates.
When healthy hair is growing it looks better and you are more aware of it.

With most people I don't even comment because they are stuck in their antiquated ways.

I'm always hearing "you're hair grows so fast and my response is no it grows at an average rate of .50 inch a month. I just dont let anyone hack away at it all the time. I go to a specific place for my trims.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
A stylist informed me that She trims hair out of habit.

Good grief::perplexed:perplexed:perplexed:perplexed:perplexed:perplexed:perplexed:perplexed:perplexed:perplexed:perplexed

They just dont get it. If they would allow their clients hair to grow they would get even more clients and would not have to rely on the nickle and dimeing that comes from "trimming.

Black Ambrosia

If your ends aren't bad then its probably the stylist not understanding the cut of your hair. Maybe the layers are growing out or its cut into a V shape and she thinks it should be a U and she wants to correct it with a trim. I think they are looking at a head of hair and they don't see the shape so they want to fix it with a trim.

Last edited:

kim1006

If your ends aren't bad then its probably the stylist not understanding the cut of your hair. Maybe the layers are growing out or its cut into a V shape and she thinks it should be a U and she wants to correct it with a trim. I think they are looking at a head of hair and they do see the shape so they want to fix it with a trim.

I wear my hair blunt and it is very even right now because of the last trim.

CoilyFields

I can see multiple reasons for this:

1. Adhering to the myth that cutting hair makes it grow

2. Wanting a "crisp canvas" to do their style on (even hair makes most styles look better and the hair seem thicker).

3. Not understanding that hair grows at different rates so thinking its breakage and lead hairs need to be evened out.

4. I have had a couple stylists tell me that I needed maybe two-three inches taken off due to damage but they didnt want to shock me by taking it all at once so they only took 1 1/2 inches and left the rest for another time (which is believeable to me).

kim1006

I can see multiple reasons for this:

1. Adhering to the myth that cutting hair makes it grow

2. Wanting a "crisp canvas" to do their style on (even hair makes most styles look better and the hair seem thicker).

3. Not understanding that hair grows at different rates so thinking its breakage and lead hairs need to be evened out.

4. I have had a couple stylists tell me that I needed maybe two-three inches taken off due to damage but they didnt want to shock me by taking it all at once so they only took 1 1/2 inches and left the rest for another time (which is believeable to me).

She did not say my hair looked damaged, uneven, thin etc. In fact, she did not even say I NEEDED a trim. She asked if she could trim my hair. :perplexed