What do you mix your henna with?

MissFallon

After reading tons of threads on henna I want to try it. I am going to the Indian BSS to get the henna. I am also going to get amla and vatika oil. Should I put those in the mix? What else shoud I add?

What do you add to your mixture? What results do you get? Also what type of henna do u use?

gymfreak336

I had my mix posted in my journal.
This is my henna mix. Just though I add the final one to my journal.

100 grams of henna
A spoonful of weak tea
Cloves and Paprika- about 1/4-1/2 cup of each
Hot water
Couple of drops of orange essential oil- helps with smell
1/2 cup of oil- alma, sweet almond, whatever is on hand

Mix all except oil in a plastic container. Add enough water to make it look like thick yogurt. Wrap container with plastic wrap and foil to keep heat in. Let sit for atleast 4 hours. Before using mix in oil until smooth and apply. Sit under dryer for atleast an hour and wash and condition with you fav. moisturizing conditioner

MissFallon

wow that seems so complicated. Can I just use the Henna and some oil? Are there instructions on the package?

what is the difference between the henna that everyone talks about and the Bigen kind?

gymfreak336

MissFallon said:
wow that seems so complicated. Can I just use the Henna and some oil? Are there instructions on the package?

what is the difference between the henna that everyone talks about and the Bigen kind?

It really isn't complicated I promise. You can mix just henna and oil but don't forget your hot water. All the henna brands that I have tried don't have instructions on the package because there are soo many ways to mix it. The cloves and paprika in mind just help me change the color, that is all.

Bigen is not henna, it a dye

HoneyDew

I mix 2 oz. of cassia ("neutral henna") and 2 oz. henna, a cup of plain yogurt, 1 tbls. oil, and an ounce of hot water.

It is not that complicated for me.

It used to be a pain to rinse, but since adding the oil and yogurt, it is eazy-peazy.

gn1g

about 12 hours ago I mixed 3:1 Jamila henna to amla, lemon juice, jojoba oil and tea in a plastic container seal it shut with the lid.

Do I have to add hot water? I plan on using this mixture in about 10 hours.

JLove74

gn1g said:
about 12 hours ago I mixed 3:1 Jamila henna to amla, lemon juice, jojoba oil and tea in a plastic container seal it shut with the lid.

Do I have to add hot water? I plan on using this mixture in about 10 hours.

Not trying to scare you or anything, but mixing the henna w/lemon juice and tea could be drying. I know that both have a tendancy to be drying agents. When you added the tea, was the water hot?

gn1g

No.

JLove I might have to start over. How did your aunties hair turn out? What exactly do you mix with your henna?

JLove74

gn1g said:
No.

JLove I might have to start over. How did your aunties hair turn out? What exactly do you mix with your henna?

You don;t have to start over, just mix up some henna and boiling water, let it release and add some of the other mixture. Make your ratio 2:1 (2 of the new mix and 1 part of the old) also add some condish to the mix.

Their hair turned out really nice :). I indigo'd 1 and it was lookin' real shiny, like Sareca's. They loved it and I sent them home with boxes and instructions - fool proof!

I only mix hot water let it sit for a few hours (the brand I use, Reshma, releases color in about 4-5 hours), oils and some condish.

Every other week, I'll do cassia and henna mix, with oils and condish.

gn1g

what kind of conditioner JLove? I read that silicone should not be used with henna.

JLove74

gn1g said:
what kind of conditioner JLove? I read that silicone should not be used with henna.

I use some from Aubrey Oganics that is -cone free - can't think of the name right now. But I've also used Silicon mix with henna and didn't see any problems

gn1g

JLove74 said:
You're very welcome :)

One more question, if I follow the henna with indigo will that change the reddish color to brown?

Can indigo be purchased at local india markets?

JLove74

gn1g said:
One more question, if I follow the henna with indigo will that change the reddish color to brown?

Can indigo be purchased at local india markets?

I've never seen indigo at the local markets. I've seen some black powder stuff - but I dunno anything about how good or safe it is.

Adding indigo (depending on how much) will give you a deep brown. There is a henna info sheet thread that gives you measurements to acheive certain colors, I'll bump it up for you.

gn1g

JLove74 said:
I've never seen indigo at the local markets. I've seen some black powder stuff - but I dunno anything about how good or safe it is.

Adding indigo (depending on how much) will give you a deep brown. There is a henna info sheet thread that gives you measurements to acheive certain colors, I'll bump it up for you.

thanks a million.

Ebony Majesty

I mix with water and ACV, then later on I add either amla or EVOO, and some conditioner to make it relaxer consistency

pistachio

I use Rainbow brand henna( in Persian Black color) I mix 4 oz. of henna with 8 oz. of boiling water, and 1/2 oz. of coconut oil.

tenderheaded

I use 1 box of Dulhan Deluxe Heena Powder, 2 tbl amla powder, 2 tbl amla oil and enough hot water to make a thick paste. This brand only needs to stand for 2 hrs, then 1 add 2 tlb of Proclaim Aloe and Shea butter and start smushing into my hair. I leave it on a minimum of 2 hrs. Sometimes I use 30-60 of the time under the dryer.

I also do this on unwashed hair. I just don't add any oil the day before henna.