What Do You Think of RELAXERS???

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I read this article Things Your Hairdresser Never Told You.

I've been thinking...

I've never had any problems with relaxing...no breakage, no bad ends, but I have noticed my hair stayed the same length but I really think that is due to trims and wearing my hair down all the time. My hair has always been fine and a medication made my hair thinner, not the relaxer. So...

Do relaxers just cause damage to the hair ONLY when they are not applied right???

How can a relaxer destroy the protein in process if all your hair is is protein???

I've heard that no such thing is healthy hair...once it grows out of your scalp, it's basically dead.

So what are the long-term effects of relaxing your hair for the rest of your life if you apply relaxers safely and properly???

What do you guys think about this? Please feel free to express your thoughts. If anyone has any valid information on this, please let me know the source of your information.

Devi

Re: All About Relaxers

The damage is precisely what causes the straightening affect.

I'm not completely understanding your second question. Are you saying that the relaxer should eat all of your hair up? If you leave it on long enough it would.

Health can be used to describe the condition of living and non living things. http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/health.html

I'll try to find a site about the relaxing process to post too

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Devi said:
I'm not completely understanding your second question. Are you saying that the relaxer should eat all of your hair up? If you leave it on long enough it would.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...I wasn't thinking what you said when I posted that second question...I was thinking how can it cause damage to your hair when your hair is made of protein and is already dead. But what you said makes sense. I forgot about relaxers eating up your hair if left on for a very long time. Thanks for your comment.

Bobbie

It breaks the sulfide bonds that are responsible for curly hair. These bonds bind to protein. What you're thinking of is keratin, what the hair shaft is composed mostly of. There's more than protein in the hair.

Also, seeing hair as dead is relative. There have been studies that show external substances can be absorbed through the hair shaft, or whatever you take in internally will eventually reach your hair. By that reasoning, nails are "dead" too, and we all now they can still be damaged.

Tai

IMO, anytime you're using chemicals there's a certain risk involved, even when they're done properly. Depending on how you care for your hair, your diet, medications, etc can all end up effecting the results you get from relaxing or texturing.
Do relaxers cause damage to your hair? Well, relaxers do break down the bonds of the hair in order to straighten it. That does leave your hair vunerable to damage IMO.
As far as healthy hair, from my understanding, it's true that hair is dead once it's left the scalp. But you can see that there's variations of health when you look at people's hair. How you take care of your hair is extremely important, no matter if your hair is chemical free or not. I've seen plenty of people with hair that looks healthy and what I mean by healthy is strong, thick, shiny with ends that are intact. The shiny part is relative because depending on texture and style it can very. My own hair is shinier when it's straight than when it's curly. We have plenty of examples of very healthy looking hair here at LHCF that is relaxed, texturized, and natural.

I don't know what the long term effects are if you decide to straighten your hair indefinitely. I think a lot of it depends on your hair and how well you treat it before, during, and after the relaxer. Relaxers over a 20 year period have turned my mother's naturally thin hair even thinner. In fact, I just relaxed her hair this weekend and it will be the last time I do it because of how thin her hair is. She never had any relaxing disasters, only gets relaxed about 3X a year (that's the most I'd do it because of the thinness), never had any problems with breakage or split ends. But it's rather thin. Basically the long term effects will vary from person to person because more than just the relaxer will play a role in the overall state of your hair.
If you decide to use chemicals, the best thing you can do is be an informed consumer. Find the mildest relaxer you can that will accomplish the look you want. Find a stylist that knows how to properly apply relaxers and if you're a self relaxer, only do it if you know what you're doing. I learned how by watching friends who were good stylists who showed me what to do. Figure out which relaxer works best for your hair. Some hair responds better to lye, others to no lye. Find a regimin that works for you by minimizing breakage and split ends while maintaining moisture, porosity, and strength.
Are you still transitioning, Jessica, or are you considering staying relaxed?

bettydavis

Relaxers affect everyones hair differently. For certain hairtypes, they will be damaging, while others can handle it and not be damaged at all. Relaxers are chemicals, like any other chemical treatment they do weaken your hair. How you care for it is a factor in having healthy relaxed hair, but I also think that genetically, some people are born with stonger hair that makes it easier for them to retain length while relaxed.

Here is a link about relaxers to learn more about them:
http://www.skinbiology.com/truthabouthairrelaxers.html

Devi

I define the breaking down of protein in the cortex of your hair to be damage... even if it doesn't cause splits and breakage.

So even non-breaking, shiny, moisturized relaxed hair is damaged in my eyes. It can be healthy and in good condition, but it is not in perfect condition.

Tai

The only hair that could have the potential to be in "perfect" condition would be hair that has never had any relaxers, texturizers, perms or semi or permanant hair coloring at any time.
Any chemical that's added to the hair has the potential to cause damage. But I've also seen people with virgin hair which did not look, feel, or appear healthy in any sense of the word. How you care for you hair is EXTREMELY important, IMO, regardless if your hair has chemicals or it is virgin/natural hair.

Devi

I agree. Even virgin hair can be damaged. "Perfect" hair is virgin hair with no damage.

Falon

Yes relaxers are damaging. If they weren't then we wouldn't have to dedicate so much time and money trying to hold onto relaxed hair.

But hey dying your hair is unhealthy too. Semi and Permanent dyes are believed to be detrimental to the health and they can cause severe damage if the color change is too drastic like say dark brown to blonde.

It's expensive to maintain (roots have to be done at least every 4 weeks) and a hassle to keep healthy too! Haven't you ever seen a non-AA with bleached out fried looking hair?

All chemicals have the ability to damage the hair. The only way to guarantee you won't suffer from the effects of chemical treatments is to avoid them. When you use them you are taking your chances.

I take my chances.

patience

Tai pretty much broke it down.

However, like her, I'm curious too. Are you still transitioning or are you planning to remain relaxed?

elite_chiq

[ QUOTE ]
Devi said:
I agree. Even virgin hair can be damaged. "Perfect" hair is virgin hair with no damage.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
Are you still transitioning, Jessica, or are you considering staying relaxed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank u 4 your response! Do u think her hair thinning can be caused by aging as well??? I've seen thin natural hair in older women as well!

Anyway, I have decided to relax every 4 months until mid 2005 and then I will consider transitioning to natural. I know that it may be easier to transition now since my hair is shorter but when I joined this forum, my goal was to achieve length first, so I just want to see the growth potential of my hair with some of the many things I have learned on the LHCF!

Tai

With my mom, her thinnest is due to the relaxer. Her stylist and I have been trying to convince her to stop relaxing for years but she's stubborn. She's always had thin, fine hair and relaxers are known for making hair thinner. I know because that's the only reason I texturize. I have enough hair for about 4 people when my hair is natural and texturizing it thins it out so I can work with it better.

Good luck with your decision!

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
With my mom, her thinnest is due to the relaxer. Her stylist and I have been trying to convince her to stop relaxing for years but she's stubborn. She's always had thin, fine hair and relaxers are known for making hair thinner. I know because that's the only reason I texturize. I have enough hair for about 4 people when my hair is natural and texturizing it thins it out so I can work with it better.

Good luck with your decision!

[/ QUOTE ]

Did relaxers make your hair thinner like your mom's?

Tai

Yes, but since my hair is so thick it wasn't a problem for me. My hair is still very thick with my texturizer so the thinnest that it brings hasn't caused a problem. But if that ever changed, then I would stop getting texturizers.

Donda

I think what makes the difference is that we take time out to care for our hair. Once I learned what my hair needed for health and protection. My overall hair condition when natural was 5 stars, I would say it is a 4 - 4 1/2 stars relaxed but I can live with that considering the convince of styling.

I understand the entire process of what happens when you relax your hair, yet I'm not afraid of what may happen. Why I'm I not? Because I take the time to study and learn about what is best for it and how best to apply my relaxers. Trust me I have list of everything from chemicals found in relaxers, shampoo, and conditioners to hair structure condition and break down points in my notes on my laptop computer LOL.

Various highlights from my notes:

1. I always put on a conditioner or neutralizing shampoo with a ph of 5.5 or lower (ex. Motions Moisture plus) on previously relaxed hair before applying my relaxers. This will stop you from over processing.

2. I make sure I bring my ph down after relaxing my hair! Not only with a neutralizer shampoo but with a normalizing rinse as well. Revlon has a nice one called Realistic Normalizing Rinse. If you can't find it use Sea Breeze or Witch Hazel facial toners yes you read it right! Not normalizing the hair (bring down the ph) is where the "true" damage comes. Actually using a neutralizing shampoo, as your clarifying shampoo is useful as well seeing everyday products can bring up your ph somewhat. Say use it every two to three weeks.

3. I stay away from everyday heat, actually that is the entire purpose of relaxers to eliminate the need for heat such as hot combing, curling irons etc. Only after shampooing do I use a blow dryer. I also use Bantu knots to protect my hair at night and give it style the next day.

4. I condition it regularly and give it an extra boost if it calls for it. Some weeks I need to use an after shampoo (I use CON) conditioner, some I don't (if I do my hair is too soft and snaps) Oils work best for me and a protein every so often helps out.

So there is my two cents, happy journey to all no matter what they decided. And remember take time out to care for your hair it is the best tool you well every have.