What do you use to clarify?

Cleve_gryl

Aside from the clarifying poos out here, I've read a few ladies use products like ACV and someone even said they added baking soda to their poo? Does this work? I have so many poos I'm trying to use up (PJ Challenge) and if I can buy a box of baking soda at the dolla sto for 50 cents I'd be in good shape?

Any suggestions? TIA! :D

i can vouch for adding baking soda to poo! about 2 weeks ago, my hair was breaking like crazy, and i didn't know why. between the coconut oil and the daily mtg use (at that time), any dummy would've known that i needed to clarify! i thought about buying some clarifying shampoo, then i just decided to run to the corner store and get some baking soda...i mixed it with my suave naturals citrus breeze that night when i poo'ed, and now two weeks later, i've noticed that my breakage has decreased significantly! so i'm all for adding baking soda to poo for clarifying!

hot_pepper96 said:
I used ACV first and then I shampoo 2 or 3 times w/ORS Aloe Neutralizing Shampoo.

How do you use the ACV? Do you dilute it and just run it through your hair? I think I'm definately going to pick up some baking soda...I can use it to exfoliate my skin in the shower too!

Anyone else have any other at home products?

Hi, I use ACV diluted with distilled water (about 50/50 each) poured into a plastic applicator bottle, then pour it through my hair prior to clarifying with either Aveda Scalp Benefits or Elucence Clarifying.

I really want to try the baking soda method....maybe this weekend. :)

I use alternate between acv and VO5 Kiwi Lime which I don't think I'll repurchase. I tried baking soda once a while ago but I didn't care much for the consistencey. Maybe I didn't mix it well enough. I'll revisit this one.

I used suave the other day and it felt so hard afterwards, almost like all the life got stripped out. Vo5 on the other hand doesnt make me feel like i've clarified.
So im curious about baking soda but I just have a feeling that using too much would probably make your hair break or at least feel brittle so need to know what is the ratio of baking soda to shampoo you ladies are using.

i've had a similar hmmmmmmmmm moment with vo5 kiwi lime.

i really thought a clarifying poo was supposed to make your hair "squeak".

i poo'd twice with this and still no squeak.

so i guess my question is; how do you know your clarifying poo has actually clarified?

squeak or no squeak?

i usually just eyeball it when i add baking soda to my shampoo...i generally like to feel the grittiness of the baking soda on my scalp, so i just add enough of it to however much shampoo i have in my hand and rub my hands together until i get the consistency that i want...i dunno how other ladies know if they've really clarified their hair, but i usually just monitor my shedding/breakage over the next few days...as i said in my OP, i felt like my hair had been sufficiently clarified because i was shedding/breaking less than i was before i clarified...i clarify every 2 weeks, but i'm also trying to prevent product overload by taking the time everyday to diagnose my hair's needs and ONLY applying what is necessary...HTH

Cleve_gryl said:
How do you use the ACV? Do you dilute it and just run it through your hair? I think I'm definately going to pick up some baking soda...I can use it to exfoliate my skin in the shower too!

Anyone else have any other at home products?

I usually used about about 4-6 tablespoons of ACV in 16 ounces of water. Sometimes I pour more ACV in there until I'm smelling the ACV a little strong.

I read online that you should add 1 teaspoon baking soda to your poo. I just made a batch in an old water bottle...1 tea soda, maybe 2-3 squirts VO5 tea tree clarity poo, and a little water...I'm doing my pre poo now, so I'll post my results in an hour or so!! :grin:

Back