What does healthy hair feel like??

deidrerod

Hi guys,

Sorry if that seems like a dumb question. I'm new to the HHJ after having dry, brittle dull hair for years and after heat and color damage and a few texturizers. My hair is a mix between 3b/3c and I've been following the curly girl method and have been using oils (wheat germ, JBCO, avocado, vatika and jojoba) basically nightly for about 5 weeks (on scalp, ends and sometimes shaft) and I've also been using WEN 613 for 3 weeks. So my question is, after washing my hair last Sunday, I noticed my hair felt soft and moisturized and...........light?? Does that make sense?? I actually had to run out and do some errands while the 613 was in my hair (probably about an hour or so) so I'm not sure if it was that, if I have moisture overload or if.....my hair is just getting healthier and I'm so not used to that that I actually think something is wrong :lol:. If this could potentially be too much moisture can you guys please tell me other signs I should look for as from what I know from lurking moisture/protein balance is pretty important so if I need a protein treatment I'd like to know the signs to look for.

I used to hear ladies say your hair feels mushy when it's too moisturized and I had no idea what and how that could have felt UNTIL one time I did overmoisturize. It wasn't just soft and bouncy it was limp and mushy. I can't describe it, more like a wet cottonball? to me it sounds like your hair is okay. Why not do a strand test on a wet shedded hair of yours. Pull on it and if takes a little effort, you are okay. If it snaps instantly then trouble.............

I don't think one can overmoisturize from oils. When people do things like the Greenhouse Effect method or prepooing overnight with waterbased products (like conditioner) that can overmoisturize the hair. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

When it's nicely moisturized my hair feels...manageable. Pliable, flexible, easy. Overmoisturized hair can feel this very same way too though :lol:

The one thing you said that makes me think your hair is not over moisturized is its light. When your hair is overmoisturized it is heavy limp gummy oily feeling (at least mine is). From the way your hair sounds I think its good.

I'm 3BC as well. The curls should feel soft (although the 3C section feels more coarse, the right amount of product can still make it soft, springy.) It may or may not be shiny depending on products, your actual hair and what have you. You should be able to grab a lock, pull it and watch/feel it snap back in place.

Whenever I use too much product it's because I disrupted my curl pattern. That occurs when I allow my hair to dry too long while wearing a towel after showering, touching it too much before adding styling products, rinsing out too much conditioner after co washing and/or my hair just wants to do its own thing.

Personally I never really liked using oils too much. I can't stand the lingering feeling on my hands and my hair. I find using thick, leave in creams are best.

Last edited:
When your hair is overmoisturized it is heavy limp gummy oily feeling (at least mine is).

O.k. my hair doesn't feel like that - I guess using the LOC method and different products has actually WORKED and i'm not used to the feeling of moisturized hair. I think I also probably don't need to mositurize 5-6 times a week. Maybe I'll scale it back to 3 times a week just sealing my ends every night. Thanks guys for the replies and info!

Back