What else does hair need?

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
After figuring out moisture/protein balance and the best ways to maintain your ends what else is needed? Does our hair beneift from topical vitamins and minerals? For example, I know hemp seed oil and moss have all these "benefits" but what does our hair need/absorb from it?

If this has already been posted can someone please tell me where to look?

TIA

charmtreese

I don't think that topical vitamins are as necessary as internal vitamins. I've realized that my hair has always flourished when I was taken supplements that support healthy hair growth. HTH

isabella09

:yep: I concur with using vitamins internally and I would also suggest a final rinse with ACV or Porosity Control in order to keep your porosity in check. I use ACV which is absolutely fantastic and once I incorporated this as a final step my hair felt so soft, locked-in more moisture, detangles like a dream and is shinier :cloud9:. I use a mixture of 75ml of ACV to 1 litre of spring water (this mixture lasts for multiple washes and leave the ACV on my hair) then I add a leave-in conditioner.
Here is a link to one of the threads on porosity;
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=341855

Last edited:

*Muffin*

Paying attention to protein/moisture balance is all you really need for the external care of your hair, but nutrition is very important in hair care as well. For instance, I'm anemic, and if I don't have sufficient iron and b12 levels in my body I start shedding like crazy and my hair is super weak. No amount of DC'ing can help it. But I've also found certain other external things, although not vital for hair growth, help enhance my hair's growth and appearance. Ayurvedic herbs have helped thicken my hair in places where it was thinner due to breakage.