What gives your twist-outs hold?

soslychic

I like my twist-outs to have a little bit of hold to them (not crunchy, but some hold) because they last longer. But as I posted in this thread, http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=13513523#post13513523
the ecostyler gel provided good hold but also flakes in my hair.

What do you gals find helps your twist-outs to last longer. I'm not even talking a week. I'd be content with 3 days without having to re-twist. Any suggesions are appreciated, whether it be an actual setting lotion or just your regular shea butter mixes or anything in between! :)

ETA: I usually like to just leave my twists in overnight, or 24 hrs max.

Last edited:

iri9109

i like sheamoisture deep treatment masque...i use that on my sisters twistouts/braidouts and it easily lasts a week...and she only keeps the twists in over night...i use it too, but i usually retwist after a couple of days, or wash my hair.

keepithealthy

I use Shae Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie with Elasta QP Olive Oil and Mango Butter Moisturizer on the ends to seal. Most recently I used a whipped Shae Butter mix I made at home (experimenting) and sealed with the Elasta QP and that is doing fine. I can usually get my twists to last around 3 weeks without unraveling. (if I don't wash). I used to use gel but I didn't like how stiff my hair was. Now my hair is fluffy and soft!

curlyninjagirl

I wanna say that leaving my hair in about 24 braids for 5 days does the trick. On the 6th day I turn the 24 braids into 12 twists (braided at the roots) then I co-wash the twists and put straws on the ends to curl. On the 7th day, before I go out, I take the straws off the ends and untwist and TADA! No product!

I stumbled upon this method totally by accident and it consistently gives me a beautiful twistout that lasts at least 3 days or more (I usually wanna go right back to hiding my hair though LOL).

OH! I forgot to add...I do re-twist at night though (12 twists). I gotta! or my hair will be a ball of knots in the morning. I only slept with loose hair once since I started this HHJ! :nono:

eta: Also, during the take-down I find that if I'm careful to separate each twist towards wear the curls seems to want to go, this doesn't upset the crimp pattern as much and reduces frizz for a longer lasting style.

Last edited:

~~HoneyComb~~

For my last few twist/twistouts I've been using Miss Jessies Curly Merigue.

This stuff has given me the best definition, hold and it's not crunchy just a firm hold.

I retwist nightly to protect my hair, but I could seriously go a few days without it.

It smells good too, and I live in a very humid climate and my hair holds well throughout the day :yep:

Cherokee-n-Black

For my last few twist/twistouts I've been using Miss Jessies Curly Merigue.

This stuff has given me the best definition, hold and it's not crunchy just a firm hold.

I retwist nightly to protect my hair, but I could seriously go a few days without it.

It smells good too, and I live in a very humid climate and my hair holds well throughout the day :yep:

OMG, look at that shine! I tried the pudding-it did nada. I'll check out the meringue..next payday. LOL

Switching subjects (for in between paydays):
RE: ecostyler - i got the olive oil one, and it basically was like using nothing. Was I supposed to be using the maximum hold one (level 10)? It sounds so...severe!

~~HoneyComb~~

OMG, look at that shine! I tried the pudding-it did nada. I'll check out the meringue..next payday. LOL

Switching subjects (for in between paydays):
RE: ecostyler - i got the olive oil one, and it basically was like using nothing. Was I supposed to be using the maximum hold one (level 10)? It sounds so...severe!

Those were not done with the Curly Meringue, they were done with Long Aid Curl Activator gel which is very moisturizing but doesn't hold well for me in the humid weather.

This my twist out today done with the Curly Meringue (please excuse my deodorant armpits :nono:)

Cherokee-n-Black

Those were not done with the Curly Meringue, they were done with Long Aid Curl Activator gel which is very moisturizing but doesn't hold well for me in the humid weather.

This my twist out today done with the Curly Meringue (please excuse my deodorant armpits :nono:)

Girl, ain't nobody lookin' at your armpits with that hair! That is reeeeally pretty. I haven't heard the words "long aid" in a minute! They still make that stuff? :lol::lol::grin: I'm one to talk, I'm using Sta-Sof-Fro on my son! Thanks for sharing!

~~HoneyComb~~

Girl, ain't nobody lookin' at your armpits with that hair! That is reeeeally pretty. I haven't heard the words "long aid" in a minute! They still make that stuff? :lol::lol::grin: I'm one to talk, I'm using Sta-Sof-Fro on my son! Thanks for sharing!

:lol: Yes, they still make it--it's one of my staple products since becoming natural--I really like it for my hair, but when the humidity hits, my twistouts poof up really bad using it.

I'm hoping that the Curly Meringue can withstand the summer humidity and I will use it only for the summer months. It's kinda pricey.

soslychic

:lol: Yes, they still make it--it's one of my staple products since becoming natural--I really like it for my hair, but when the humidity hits, my twistouts poof up really bad using it.

QUOTE]

Me too! Long Aid is the BEAST when it comes to moisture. My hair stays soft for...EVER when I have that in my hair. But yea....as far as hold...........nada.

soslychic

i like sheamoisture deep treatment masque...i use that on my sisters twistouts/braidouts and it easily lasts a week...and she only keeps the twists in over night...i use it too, but i usually retwist after a couple of days, or wash my hair.

I just looked up this product and it looks intriguing. So you find that it provides both moisture and hold? Does it seem different than homemade shea butter mixes (if you have tried them).

soslychic

I use Shae Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie with Elasta QP Olive Oil and Mango Butter Moisturizer on the ends to seal. Most recently I used a whipped Shae Butter mix I made at home (experimenting) and sealed with the Elasta QP and that is doing fine. I can usually get my twists to last around 3 weeks without unraveling. (if I don't wash). I used to use gel but I didn't like how stiff my hair was. Now my hair is fluffy and soft!
So when you seal with elasta qp olive oil, you are referring to a cream made by elasta qp?

growingbrown

KeraCare Natural twist and defining cream. I loved it. It defined every twist and had a great hold! The next day it still had a little hold without retwisting the night before. If you retwist that next night, you don't need any product! 2 thumbs up!

Sent from my PG06100 using PG06100

gcchick_07

i tried a twist out the other day with the shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie, and while i must say my hair is STILL soft (from 4 days ago) my hair had NO hold. the tennessee humidity destroyed any definition i had. :(

D.N.A.

I don't really use anything in particular for hold. I moisturize my hair with my LTR leave-in, seal with olive oil, and twist overnight. The twist-out stays soft yet defined throughout the day.

Ms Lala

Honestly doing my twists small to medium size and dampening my hair w/water and moisturizer gives the best hold. I just have to be sure it's fully dry before taking the twists out.

fivetimestwo

I use HE tousle me softly finishing cream on top of my leave in (Giovanni direct) this seems to hold my twistouts for days (although I workout, so all my twistouts only last a day anyway). It doesn't make my hair hard an you really only need a little. I also find that twisting while wet and letting my hair completely dry makes my twistouts more defined. :yep:

beautyaddict1913

I get hold from a few different products. I love:

Donna Marie Curling Cream or MiraCurl Jelly
Kinky Curly Custard with Shea Moisture Smoothie
Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding or Curly Meringue (works great with the Shea Moisture Smoothie for added moisture)

Those are all staples for me! Took me a while to learn that I needed a moisturizer and a styling agent to get a great twistout!

southerncitygirl

i layer my products i use oyin hair dew to detangle then do fantasia ic gel(clear one) with sparklelites on each section.....my twistouts last a whole week no re-twisting. i stuff under my bonnet and fluff/shake in the a.m. i forgot to mention i do my twistouts on wet hair that is freshly washed as well.:yep:

darlingdiva

Usually, my twistouts hold just fine and have good definition because I keep my hair in twists for at least five days before unraveling them for a twistout.

However, the product that has ever given me the most hold and definition is Barry Fletcher's Twist Like This Herbal Putty.

~~HoneyComb~~

Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding or Curly Meringue (works great with the Shea Moisture Smoothie for added moisture)

Those are all staples for me! Took me a while to learn that I needed a moisturizer and a styling agent to get a great twistout!

Yes to the bolded!!

I have used these two products together recently and they work well together---I have to be very gentle witht eh Shea Moisture because it gives too much moisture and will cause my hair to poof if the humidity is high.

Not only that but the smell of the two products together smell so good.