What hair coloring is needed to cover gray?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
My mother wants to cover her gray so she can wear a sewn in and leave some hair out.

What is a good hair color that helps achieve this withoug turning the hair technicolor? Her gray hair always turns blue after getting it dyed.

I don't know much about color.

aileenadq

Hi DSD:

I think it depends on what percentage gray she is. Also consider whether she is relaxed, as relaxers have a tendency to pull color out (I think it's because it opens the shaft).

I would call L'oreal or Revlon and ask them.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :ohwell:

balisi

DSD, virtually any color can cover gray hair, but the gray must first be "softened up." If her grays are turning bluish, it sounds as though she is using black (with a blue or violet base) to cover them.

Last edited:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
bgsix said:
Balisi, what does "softened up" mean? And how does one go about doing that?
I was going to ask the same question.

My mom has black hair and colors her hair black. In the back of her head her gray is salt and pepper and in the front she has one big patch in the front of her hairline. She hates that big ole patch because it is yellow.

She is transitioning. She hasn't relaxed in about a year.

HoneyDew

My mom had been having trouble coloring her grey. We tried several thing. Last week we tried a Kiss Colors kit and it really worked well!

The only complaint we had was that the color did not match theone on the box. She wanted a brownish color and it was almost black.

Other than that, it colored and covered her greys SO well.

thickness

I use bigen in oriental black...I have tried them all, this is the best one for anyone wanting to achieve "true" black hair. The base is brown, while some other colors may have blue or purple as their base.

Neroli

This is about the umpt time I'm posting this in the last couple of weeks so please forgave me for repeating myself but have you considered using henna instead of chemical color? I am relaxed, with about 30 percent grey mostly in the front and henna colors, conditions and strengthens my hair like da bomb. Whenever some asks about color, I feel a moral obligation to at least mention henna as an option worth considering, especially since it is so good for relaxed hair. It is permanent red color that can be mixed with indigo ("black henna") for a wide range of colors from blue black to bright red.

I never used or even considered using chemical dyes so I can't help you there -- I refuse to use chemical dyes 'cause they're just too damaging and you have to keep applying them as new growth comes in, thus repeating the damaging cycle. Whereas with henna, I can apply every week to keep up with the color and not worry about damage; indeed, it conditions and glosses my hair as well as maintains my deep reddish brownish mahogany color on my black hairs and a reddish gold on my grey hair. The only time I lay off is two weeks before touchup and two weeks after, then I'm back to my weekly henna treatments such that I hardly use shampoo anymore. Just henna and apply deep conditioner after. Simple and beautiful!

If you're interested, below are a couple of links to threads on this board for henna ladies as well as a link to the "henna for hair" websit that helped me understand that henna is an excellent colorant, conditioner and "secret weapon" for awesme relaxed hair. . . .

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/for...ad.php?t=87256

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/for...ighlight=henna

http://www.hennaforhair.com/

Neroli

sareca said:
Tell it henna sista!

LOL! I think there's so little information or misunderstanding about henna that nobody thinks about it as a coloring option and I just like to to get it out there. It's sooooo good for my hair! I feel like I'm on a mission to tell folks there is a fabulous and benefical way to color. . .

tenderheaded

I have a "skunk patch" that I've dealt with for the last 5 yrs. With everything else it would turn an ugly reddish shade. I started using Bigen oriental black and black brown last year - now it doesn't fade. This is gentle and easy for even a klutz like me to use:)

balisi

bgsix said:
Balisi, what does "softened up" mean? And how does one go about doing that?
Sorry, I meant to include that it would be done chemically, which you might not want to do. The resistant areas can be softened up with the use of lightener, just enough to open the hair shaft, which in turn allows the dark dye to penetrate the hair, thus covering the grays.

Keep in mind that black dyes are often much too dark and harsh for most people. The darkest brown you can find is usually a better choice, as they will appear to be black/blackish.

I can attest to the effectiveness of Kiss Colors for covering gray.

Miss*Tress

Neroli said:
LOL! I think there's so little information or misunderstanding about henna that nobody thinks about it as a coloring option and I just like to to get it out there. It's sooooo good for my hair! I feel like I'm on a mission to tell folks there is a fabulous and benefical way to color. . .
Isn't henna messy? That's one of the reasons why I haven't tried it.

Neroli

Miss*Tress said:
Isn't henna messy? That's one of the reasons why I haven't tried it.

It is EXTREMELY messy! Especially my first application, what a complete and utter mess, but what awesome results. The benefits far outweight a lil bit o mess, IMO. That's why I'm sticking with it inspite of the mess. Plus, as with anything, the more I use it, the easier it becomes and I'm learning little tricks to get thru it with minimum mess -- experience has its rewards!

IMO, applying relaxers is waaay more messy then applying henna (not to mention dangerous if you leave the relaxer on too long whereas henna is non-toxic and about all it will do is stain your hair and skin). Lord knows I learned to get thru the relaxer process early on 'cause I wanted straight hair. Now I've learned to get thru the henna process 'cause I don't want grey hair and I sure don't want the double processed hair that would come with a bit more convenience from the chemical dyes. I'd rather deal with the mess of henna every now and then, then with the permanent damage from repeated use of more convenient chemical dyes . . .

One of the reasons I use henna is because it does not penetrate the hair shaft at all (as do relaxers, perms, chemical dyes, etc.), which is how the hair is weakened in the first place, and then repeated applications to new growth just perpetuates the viscious cycle that keeps hair hostage to damaging chemicals. Since I already relax my hair, the last thing I want to do is get involved with another process that is also damaging. Henna deposits color on top of the hair shaft and actually binds with proteins on the hair's surface, which leaves hair colored, stronger, smootherr and conditioned like nothing else.

Soooooo, I opt to deal with the mess of henna, initially because I wanted to cover my grey hairs, but was stunned by the CONDITIONING benefits of the stuff. Henna is messy, that is a definite and no way around it. But the mess is sure worth it, IMO . . .

CynamonKis

Neroli I am considering going back to henna. I do not relax my hair at all. I started using semi permanent color bi-weekly on my gray on the hairline but I noticed a great deal of breakage that I don't like to see so, as messy and as time consuming as henna was for me, I may go back because at least there was no breakage.

CynamonKis

Neroli I've gotta high-five you on the use of henna.

I constantly cover my gray, because it seems to grow back so fast, in the front only. I have used every type of hair dye you can think of, but nothing conditioned my hair like henna and I am here to tell you that I am going back to henna IMMEDIATELY!

The front of my hair is all broken off, due to frequent coloring, even with semi-permanent color. The back is weak, also due to this. My hair was very strong and healthyn with Henna.

The only concern with henna I have is complete gray coverage. I need to experiment. I have just ordered ahmad henna from everydayhenna.com and if I need to darken the gray in the front more I'll get something else but no more hair color for me!

Neroli said:
This is about the umpt time I'm posting this in the last couple of weeks so please forgave me for repeating myself but have you considered using henna instead of chemical color? I am relaxed, with about 30 percent grey mostly in the front and henna colors, conditions and strengthens my hair like da bomb. Whenever some asks about color, I feel a moral obligation to at least mention henna as an option worth considering, especially since it is so good for relaxed hair. It is permanent red color that can be mixed with indigo ("black henna") for a wide range of colors from blue black to bright red.

I never used or even considered using chemical dyes so I can't help you there -- I refuse to use chemical dyes 'cause they're just too damaging and you have to keep applying them as new growth comes in, thus repeating the damaging cycle. Whereas with henna, I can apply every week to keep up with the color and not worry about damage; indeed, it conditions and glosses my hair as well as maintains my deep reddish brownish mahogany color on my black hairs and a reddish gold on my grey hair. The only time I lay off is two weeks before touchup and two weeks after, then I'm back to my weekly henna treatments such that I hardly use shampoo anymore. Just henna and apply deep conditioner after. Simple and beautiful!

If you're interested, below are a couple of links to threads on this board for henna ladies as well as a link to the "henna for hair" websit that helped me understand that henna is an excellent colorant, conditioner and "secret weapon" for awesme relaxed hair. . . .

GEE I FORGOT THAT I POSTED EARLIER ON THIS TOPIC-JUST GOES TO SHOW HOW DETERMINED I AM TO GET BACK TO HENNA!

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/for...ad.php?t=87256

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/for...ighlight=henna

http://www.hennaforhair.com/

Last edited:

Neroli

CynamonKis said:
Neroli I've gotta high-five you on the use of henna.

I constantly cover my gray, because it seems to grow back so fast, in the front only. I have used every type of hair dye you can think of, but nothing conditioned my hair like henna and I am here to tell you that I am going back to henna IMMEDIATELY!

The front of my hair is all broken off, due to frequent coloring, even with semi-permanent color. The back is weak, also due to this. My hair was very strong and healthyn with Henna.

The only concern with henna I have is complete gray coverage. I need to experiment. I have just ordered ahmad henna from everydayhenna.com and if I need to darken the gray in the front more I'll get something else but no more hair color for me!

I'm glad you're re-discovering henna, especially now that you have the experience with chemical dyes, you may have a greater appreciation for the "henna mess" . . .

I know that some ladies are getting jet black by doing a two step application by doing straight henna first, followed by indigo. I use straight henna only 'cause my hair is about 30% grey and I LOVE the way henna turns my greys reddish gold while the rest of my hair is a rich dark red -- it LOVE LOVE the color of straight henna. Check out the links in my prior post above for more ideas.

Welcome back to the Henna Revolution!

ekomba

dontspeakdefeat said:
My mother wants to cover her gray so she can wear a sewn in and leave some hair out.

What is a good hair color that helps achieve this withoug turning the hair technicolor? Her gray hair always turns blue after getting it dyed.

I don't know much about color.

Hey Dontspeakdefeat Bigen oriental black should do the trick. i have a couple of white hair since i was a kid in the hairline but u cant tell i always use the Bigen blue black 88 or oriental black 69;) and it covers everything and makes my black really black and shiny:p ;) :D but in the pix it s the blue black but oriental black would be great cause you want the grey to just stay a nice natural black and not too dark

Last edited:

Synthia

I like the henna suggestion.

HOwever, not having tried that, my mom and I use Robert Craig hair color.

It has no peroxide or ammonia and doesn't damage hair.

http://www.robertcraig.com/php/index.php

ETA: Instead of black we order Chocolate Brown -- the hair still come out dark, but not stark like Morticia.

Neroli

Synthia said:
I like the henna suggestion.

HOwever, not having tried that, my mom and I use Robert Craig hair color.

It has no peroxide or ammonia and doesn't damage hair.

http://www.robertcraig.com/php/index.php

ETA: Instead of black we order Chocolate Brown -- the hair still come out dark, but not stark like Morticia.

Hey Synthia,

What are the dye ingrdients? I don't know much about chemical dyes but if it is permanent color without ammoinia nor perioxide, then something else must be in there with ammonia like and peroxide like qualities to penetrate the hair shaft and deposit color. It's like no-lye relaxers, sure they don't contain lye, but they contain something else that is lye-like and equally as or even more damaging. The cosmetic industry is notorious for "marketing and packaging" things in ways that lull us into believing it's all good . . .

Synthia

In this box of Chocolate Brown color I have, the ingredients are: Toluene-2, 5-Diamine Sulfate; m-Aminophenol Sulfate; 2-Chloro-p-Phenylenediamine sulfate, p-Aminophenol Sulfate; p-Phenylenediamine Sulfate; Sodium Lauroyl Sarconsinate; Sodium Lauryl Sulfate; Sodium Perborate; Sodium Silicate; sodium sulfate; xanthan gum.

If you peruse the Robert Craig website, you'll see the company is really healthy conscious. Their shampoo and conditioner are great. I've used them for about four years with pleasure.

I've never had trouble with color damage (although I only use it once or twice a year).

It's in the same vein as Bigen hair color.

It doesn't contain alcohol either.

On the box it says "Finally! Truly gentle, permanent color with NO peroxide, ammonia, or alcohol. Just add water. Perfect for every type of hair- unique no damage formula makes hair look healthier. Covers up to 100 % gray."

Neroli

Synthia said:
In this box of Chocolate Brown color I have, the ingredients are: Toluene-2, 5-Diamine Sulfate; m-Aminophenol Sulfate; 2-Chloro-p-Phenylenediamine sulfate, p-Aminophenol Sulfate; p-Phenylenediamine Sulfate; Sodium Lauroyl Sarconsinate; Sodium Lauryl Sulfate; Sodium Perborate; Sodium Silicate; sodium sulfate; xanthan gum.

If you peruse the Robert Craig website, you'll see the company is really healthy conscious. Their shampoo and conditioner are great. I've used them for about four years with pleasure.

I've never had trouble with color damage (although I only use it once or twice a year).

It's in the same vein as Bigen hair color.

It doesn't contain alcohol either.

On the box it says "Finally! Truly gentle, permanent color with NO peroxide, ammonia, or alcohol. Just add water. Perfect for every type of hair- unique no damage formula makes hair look healthier. Covers up to 100 % gray."

Thanks for the ingredients list. Glad it works for you . . .

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Please everyone be careful, because Phenylenediamine is carcinogenic (sp).
Unfortunately, it's an ingredient in most darker hair colors.