What is the difference between DC and regular Conditioner?

lovelexi

I have been searching for a good DC that i can find in a drugstore or local beauty store. I just bout the nexxus DC but it was in such a tiny bottle. i also saw that they had the regular conditioners in huge bottles. if i use regular conditioner as a DC will there be any difference? or is it all the same stuff?

arosieworld

Thanks 4 our nail *****!
There are regulars that I dc with or mixing with something else to dc. I don't know what the difference is but I love to mix the HELTR in the red bottle with honey and olive oil for a serious DC. I used to use it when I was natural but I texlaxed a few days ago and haven't used that mix on this hair.
bump

lovelexi

i figured there was no real difference except DCs have a thicker consistency than regular conditioners. i've never tried honey before...for some reason i have this strange feeling that i will get this thick gooey mess on my hair :ohwell:

Americka

Instant Conditioners

There are three main conditioners; instant, deep penetrating and leave-in. Instant Conditioners are applied to the hair and then rinsed out after a few minutes. They attempt to smooth the cuticles and coat the hair shaft to make the hair look shiny and healthy. They work by coating the cuticle with a microfilm coating, usually a wax, that fills in or lays down the cuticle to make it shine and/or easier to detangle.

However, artificially laying down the cuticle will only provide a temporary fix. If you really want results, you need to deep condition with a penetrating conditioner. Deep conditioners use natural body heat or artificial heat from a hood dryer to lift the cuticle and penetrate the cortex.

Deep Penetrating Conditioners

There are two main types of deep or penetrating conditioners; moisture and protein.

Protein based conditioners are designed to increase the diameter of the hair with a coating action. This will strengthen the hair and add body.
Hair that is severely damaged will need a concentrated protein conditioner. These conditioners are designed to pass through the cuticle, penetrate the cortex and replace keratin lost during chemical services. They are designed to equalize porosity, increase elasticity and improve overall appearance. Because the hair is filled with new keratin, it will feel hard after use and should be followed with a moisturizing conditioner to soften and lubricate the hair shaft. Concentrated protein are NOT recommended for use after a chemical treatment like a relaxer, color or perm. These conditioners will disrupt the desired rearrangement of protein bonds formed by these chemical services.

In addition, to protein based conditioners, there are moisturizing deep penetrating conditioners. These conditioners contain humectants that attract moisture and are absorbed into the hair cortex. The difference between instant and deep moisturizing conditioner is that deep treatments contain a
quaternary ammonium component included in the chemical formulation of moisturizers so they are able to attach themselves to the hair fiber and provide longer lasting moisture.

Taken from this thread:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=280741

arosieworld

Thanks 4 our nail *****!
i figured there was no real difference except DCs have a thicker consistency than regular conditioners. i've never tried honey before...for some reason i have this strange feeling that i will get this thick gooey mess on my hair :ohwell:

It dissolves as soon as you mix it into your conditioner. I find that sometimes I'll have a little stickiness around the rim of my cap if I sit under a dryer for a long time with it or use my steamer but honey is also good for your skin. I shower and co-wash it all out and there is never any mess or sticky. I just wrap my head in plastic or a disposable cap. Honey is the best thing ever I always use it in everything. It is natures humectant and helps you hold onto moisture. If you steam with honey its amazing!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
A Product that is a Deep Conditioner will usually be Labeled as such and greatly differs from an "Instant" Rinse/Out Conditioner. You will know most times by the Label.

Usually, a DC will instruct you to leave it on at least 10-30 minutes, may also tell you to use with Heat and may contain words such as Deep Penetrating, Intensive, Deep Reconstructing, Hair Masque/Hair Paste, Treatment etc.....:yep:

The molecules are smaller in the DC which causes it to penetrate the hair more effectively.

An Instant, on the other hand may say apply & rinse or leave in 1-3 minutes etc......:look: and are just to coat the hair.