what is the purpose of a hardcore protein treatment like aphogee?

Quita3514

I'm trying to get started on a healthy hair care journey and I'm 7 weeks post relaxer and I wondering when should you incorporate a hardcore treatment like aphogee. I mean I use a light protein conditioner every week and I wonderin if a protein treatment is even neccessary in my regimen.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I think every Relaxed Head should keep their Protein/Moisture Balance in check. It's a Balancing Act.

I also use a light/med Reconstructor OR Protein Treatment weekly. Always followed up with a Moisturizing Conditioner or Final Rinse.

I also use a Medium Protein Treatment as a Mid-Step After Relaxing & Prior to Neutraliziing.

Something like: Redken Deep Fuel, Joico K-Pak, Sebastian Penetraitt, Nexxus Keraphix. (I have never used Apoghee Products).

I use my Heavier Protein(s) a Week before I relax or whenever I feel my Hair needs that extra Shot of something heavier than my Light/Med Products.

And I use Nexxus Emergencee for this purpose. Would like to eventually pick up either Dudley DRC28 or Ultra Sheen Duo Tex for this too.

simone103

I think if a weekly light protein conditioner is working for you then you should continue to use it without introducing another product into your regimen. However, light protein treatments for whatever reason do not do a good enough job of strengthening my hair. So, I use the Aphogee 2 step protein treatment every 6 weeks and follow it up with a moisturizing conditioner. It keeps the breakage at bay and also thickens up my hair.

Lady_q_tee

Im natural, I use hardcore protein treatments AFTER ive pressed my hair, to strength my hair strands as heat can be damaging

Also, if your experiencing major breakage, a hardcore protein treatment may help

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Long Hair Care Forum App

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I just thought of something else.

When you Relax, You are totally breaking down the Bonds of your Hair and you need to build those back up & keep them strong, so that's where you Protein Treatments will be helpful to you.
To keep your Hair Strong and Keep it Strong.

I also forgot, I have Dudley's Cream Protein & Dudley's Hair Rebuilder. Keeping a Solid Regimen of Protein/Moisture is very important.

dcprdiva

You need a hard core Aphoghee if you are relaxed. It stops breakage and relaxing and color, like I have, need more protein and moisture. TONS of moisture and protein. Need a good balance. I do Aphoghee the hard core, once every two weeks. I do the Keratin Aphogee reconstructor every other wash.

dcprdiva

I'll just add, that because I'm double-processed now, I need to do hard core protein more often. So I do the 2-step once every 2/3 weeks.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
In my experience, aphogee 2 step worked great when I wasn't using a light protein weekly. Now that I use aphogee 2 min weekly mixed into my DC, I find that using aphogee 2 step protein overloads my hair. I found this out the hard way a few months ago when I decided to aphogee 2 step about 15 weeks into a stretch (because I read on LHCF that many protein treat before/after relaxer). My hair became overly brittle and started breaking. Prior to the 2 step, I think my hair was nicely balanced. ETA: I should have never aphogee 2 stepped but I was being bandwagonish and doing what others do...never again. My hair is still not right and not in balance, in my opinion. You're situation may differ from mine but that's just my experience. Btw, I bonelaxed.

LushLox

You need a hard core Aphoghee if you are relaxed. It stops breakage and relaxing and color, like I have, need more protein and moisture. TONS of moisture and protein. Need a good balance. I do Aphoghee the hard core, once every two weeks. I do the Keratin Aphogee reconstructor every other wash.

Whilst I would agree that relaxed ladies should incorporate a strong protein into their regi not everyone can tolerate the very strong Aphogee, many are sensitive to strong protein. There are a number of good alternatives though like Emergencee and Dudley's DRC, which, although these are strong they don't seem as harsh to use.

Do you REALLY use the two step every two weeks? :eek: They recommend that it should not be used earlier than 6/8 weeks! I don't think I'd have any hair left if I did that!

Last edited:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL

Please OP dont do this if you dont need it, this is a serios protein product. I am relaxed and I DONOT use this, everyones hair cannot tolerate a heavy protein treatment like this.

I ONLY Use a keratin regular conditioner (millcreek keratin) every 4-6 weeks ( I keep it on for no more than 8 min), I follow this up with a leave-in with oil on top, rinseouts dont work for me after this my hair would still be hard. I may throw in a mild keratin conditioner every couple of weeks or so(joico k pak reconstructor conditioner, I dont follow this up with moisture) when i feel I need it.

OP I say this to say do what has been working for your hair and not because of what many on the board are doing.

Last edited:

Lady Esquire

I'm trying to get started on a healthy hair care journey and I'm 7 weeks post relaxer and I wondering when should you incorporate a hardcore treatment like aphogee. I mean I use a light protein conditioner every week and I wonderin if a protein treatment is even neccessary in my regimen.

I use my hardcore protein a week before and after a relaxer. Also, every six weeks or so. My mild protein is applied on dry hair, either overnight or under heat. Then I follow it with a regular wash and a moisturizing DC. If I'm pressed for time or if I'm unsure, I mix a mild protein with a moisturizer = reconstructor. That way I feel I'm covered. You can start off with a schedule, but your hair will usually let you know whether it needs a hard, mild, or any protein at all.

lovelexi

If you have fine strands and are relaxed (as I a myself) then a hardcore protein is good. Since using aphogee 2 step every 8 weeks and the 2min reconstructor every two weeks my hair has become much stronger. Even when my hair is wet and I use a fine tooth comb to roller set it rarely ever breaks.

HappilyLiberal

My hair HATES heavy proteins.

I use the Aphogee 2-step the week after my relaxer to put those proteins back in. Other than that, I don't touch the stuff. A weekly light protein (Aphogee 2 minute) or bi-weekly medium protein (Emergencee) should be sufficient for someone who is relaxed. And always follow up a protein treatment with a moisturizing deep conditioner.

Quita3514

thank u guy for the info! I think i might wait till after my relaxer to do the protein treatment because i dont want any uneccessary breakage and rom the looks o it my hair has been good so far. Just trying to get it to thicken up a little and gain some length

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•

That seems a bit much.
My relaxed hair would have walked right off of my head if I did the 2 step every 2 weeks.

imaccami

I don't use protein and I'm relaxed. The one time I tried protein I had so much breakage it was awful. OP, listen to your hair, if you're doing fine without protein then don't feel pressured to use it.