What is wrong with Propylene Glycol in hair products?

dlove

I know it is commonly used as break fluid in cars, has been labeled a skin irritant and breaks down cells if used on skin, but what damage does it cause in hair products. It is usually the 2nd, 3rd or 4th product in AA hair products. I could not find any research on line and LHCF search- :rolleyes: well, you know...

Anyone has research or knowledge about the ill effects of this product?
TIA

I think I read somewhere about it breaking down the protein in hair strands.

I think I read somewhere about it breaking down the protein in hair strands.

Wow, I wonders if that's why most of the products that "change the curl pattern" in your hair have it listed as one of the top ingredients. Like 6 'n 1 wave and curl texturizers, Kids organic shea butter, etc.

Keep it coming ladies...

Nothing :)

I don't think anything is wrong with any ingredients in hair products.

I agree. Everything is about concentration and application. With that being said, not every head of hair is the same so everyone isn't going to react to the same things. There is a difference in the industrial use of something and then the cosmetic use. Hell, some forms of glycerin are unstable and dangerous but the cosmetic version helps the hair hold moisture. I am not saying that I don't think there are some things in products that probably shouldn't be there but again, it goes back to concentration and application.

I don't know about the health implications, but my hair does not like this ingredient anywhere near the top of the ingredient list, so I avoid products that use it, generally. It makes my hair dry and rough feeling. My hair does tolerate it in lower concentrations though.

I agree. Everything is about concentration and application. With that being said, not every head of hair is the same so everyone isn't going to react to the same things. There is a difference in the industrial use of something and then the cosmetic use. Hell, some forms of glycerin are unstable and dangerous but the cosmetic version helps the hair hold moisture. I am not saying that I don't think there are some things in products that probably shouldn't be there but again, it goes back to concentration and application.

I agree with both you and poohbear.

I don't know about the health implications, but my hair does not like this ingredient anywhere near the top of the ingredient list, so I avoid products that use it, generally. It makes my hair dry and rough feeling. My hair does tolerate it in lower concentrations though.

yes i agree!!...a number of my products have Propylene Glycol, but it is towards the middle to end of the ingredient list. I don't use anything with propylene glycol as the 2nd ingredient. Tresemme' and some Pantene products are very good offenders of having propylene as the 2nd ingredient..which sux cuz i like tresemme':wallbash:

This is weird because I read an article where propylene glycol was listed as in an ingredient in good heat protectants since it helps prevent water evaporation.

http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/04/29/how-to-protect-your-hair-from-heat-damage/

I hope other ingredients can tone it done because my Paul Mitchell skinny smoothing balm has it as a second ingredient :nono:. I might start looking for an alternative.
my beloved VO5 moisture milks has this...way down the list. i was in the shower reading the labels on the herbal escapes kiwi whatever scent and the strawberries and creme to see what made one "moisturizing" and the other "clarifying". still dont know but i saw it and panicked cause i love this stuff. i wonder if it is why i have a little breakage (i cowash every 2 days)...i really hope not.

my beloved VO5 moisture milks has this...way down the list. i was in the shower reading the labels on the herbal escapes kiwi whatever scent and the strawberries and creme to see what made one "moisturizing" and the other "clarifying". still dont know but i saw it and panicked cause i love this stuff. i wonder if it is why i have a little breakage (i cowash every 2 days)...i really hope not.

I hope that's not the cause of your breakage either :(. I havent been experiencing any problems with my Paul Mithcell.

Back