What Is Your Wash Day Like?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
What is your typical/best wash day like?

How often do you wash your hair?
What is your hair like at the beginning of your wash routine? (Is it in a protective style? Is it an old twist out? Etc.)
How much time does your wash day routine typically take, including styling?
How many steps are in your wash day routine, including styling, and in what order do you do those steps?
Do you use a different product for each step, or do you have products that multi-task?
Do you do all of your steps in the shower, the sink, or a combination?
Do you have a lot of shed hair?

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
I wash my hair weekly in fall/winter and daily in spring/summer. Usually it's in a bun. Including styling, wash day can take anywhere from 30 mins- 8 hours depending on how lazy I am. There's 5 steps in my routine: wash, protein, dc, detangle, style. Most times I use a different product but I have some deep conditioners that I can use to detangle. I do everything in the sink except detangle. I don't shed a lot.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
  1. How often do you wash your hair? Usually once a week, but twice if necessary.
  2. What is your hair like at the beginning of your wash routine? (Is it in a protective style? Is it an old twist out? Etc.) 6 braids that I've worn under a wig when at work.
  3. How much time does your wash day routine typically take, including styling? 2-2.5 hours (I don't include the hours I sleep with my prepoo in)
  4. How many steps are in your wash day routine, including styling, and in what order do you do those steps? 6 steps: apply overnight prepoo and sleep, scalp exfoliate, shampoo, apply DC and detangle, steam DC, style.
  5. Do you use a different product for each step, or do you have products that multi-task? My DC is also my leave in. Every other step uses a different product.
  6. Do you do all of your steps in the shower, the sink, or a combination? I apply prepoo and scalp exfoliant at the sink. I shampoo, detangle, and apply DC in shower. I steam under steamer. Style at sink.
  7. Do you have a lot of shed hair? Yes, especially since they get trapped in my braids and don't fall out naturally.

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
Weekly in spring/summer; biweekly in fall/winter

What is your hair like at the beginning of your wash routine? (Is it in a protective style? Is it an old twist out? Etc.)
I wear my hair in two strand twists

Can be anywhere from 3-8 hours, depending on how lazy I'm feeling that day.
Typical:
15-30 minutes for exfoliate
Up to 1 hour for light detangling/cleanse/protein treat/apply DC
30 mins to 1 hour for DC with heat

30 mins to 1 hour for thorough detangle and post-wash (without sealant)
Up to 1.5 hours for light detangling, post-wash seal, and style
I usually have Hulu or Netflix on during all non-shower steps so yeah :look: :laugh:

How many steps are in your wash day routine, including styling, and in what order do you do those steps?
Exfoliate, light detangling (fingers & wide tooth comb), cleanse, protein treat (if needed), DC with heat, thorough detangle (medium tooth comb), post-wash, light detangling (fine tooth comb), style

Do you use a different product for each step, or do you have products that multi-task?
Different products for each step. I probably have products that could multitask but I'm not using them that way.

Everything EXCEPT exfoliate, DC with heat, post-wash seal, and style is done in the shower.

Not since I began using NW21. My shed/broken hair ball after all steps is nearly 50-75% smaller since I've been using that spray.

Last edited:

HaveSomeWine

Every four days

I put it in a bun loaded with coconut oil as a prepoo treatment the day/night before my actual wash day.

30 minutes to 1 hour from start to finish depending on how long I leave my deep conditioner on.

Coconut Oil Prepoo and scalp massage, thorough shampoo, apply hair mask/deep conditioner, brush out hair with a paddle brush, rinse, apply leave ins, shake and let air dry.

Different products for each step.

I apply coconut oil outside of the shower the day before, but everything else gets done in the shower.

Yes, from being slightly underweight I suppose. My hair falls out more when I don't eat properly. I have been losing a palmful of hair every wash day. However, I have started to take vitamins which in the past has helped to curb my shedding back to normal.

PJaye

Every 7 to 10 days

It's in two braids (every braid-out-esque style I wear originates from those two air dried braids).

If I don't lollygag, the entire process takes less than two hours (pre-poo = 30 mins; cleanse & detangle = 15 mins; DC = 1 hour; finishing products & braiding 10 mins).

Five Steps: pre-poo & detangle, cleanse & detangle, DC, finishing products (leave-in and sealant), braid & air dry

I use a different product for each step in my routine. The only time I combine steps is when I let one product serve as pre-poo, cowash and DC all in one, e.g., apply product to dry, lightly product-laden hair and let it sit for an extended period of time before detangling, rinsing, apply finishing products and air drying.

I only use the shower for rinsing products; all steps take place outside of its confines.

No.

VictoriousBrownFlower

What is your typical/best wash day like? My wash days are a breeze. I thoroughly enjoy them.

How often do you wash your hair? Once to twice a wk unless I'm experimenting. If experimenting and trying to perfect a style I have been known to wash everyday with no ill effects.

What is your hair like at the beginning of your wash routine? (Is it in a protective style? Is it an old twist out? Etc.) My hair is either in an old wash and go or braidout.

How much time does your wash day routine typically take, including styling? With styling and 20-30 min dc the whole process including detangling takes under 1.5 hrs. for wash and goes and under 1 hr and 45 min for braidouts.

How many steps are in your wash day routine, including styling, and in what order do you do those steps? I shampoo thoroughly including length of hair 30 min, apply dc in sections and detangle each section after applying dc 15 min, let sit around 20-30 min with heat, rinse with cold water, apply leave in on soaking wet hair in sections and seal, then apply eco styler and either braid or style in wash and go 15 min for wash and go and 30 for braids.

Do you use a different product for each step, or do you have products that multi-task? I use different products for each step unless I'm prepooing. Then I use my dc to prepoo for a few hrs to overnight(I don't do this often at all).

Do you do all of your steps in the shower, the sink, or a combination? I do it hanging over the tub using a hand held shower head.

Do you have a lot of shed hair? Not at all. If I wait a wk I lose a dime size to at most a nickle throughout the whole process including styling.

hothair

What is your typical/best wash day like?

Pre poo with eggs and oil for at least 15 mins, apply organic soap to roots, wash out. Use a rinse of ACV in water apply conditiiner, wash out, seal with a butter and dry in 4 twists .

About once a week

Depends on style I'm rocking could be any of those mentioned.

1hour and other steps through the day/evening.

2 or 3? See first answer

I don't think about it i use the eggs an oil, a conditioner, a styling gel and a butter

The messy/washing bits. Styling usually watching TV or reading a book.

I don't really comb my hair maybe once a month so a decent amount when I do comb. When i brush (while styling) not much comes out in the denman bristles.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Every two to four weeks

What is your hair like at the beginning of your wash routine?
Protective style of some kind

About two hours

Pre-Wash Detangle, Cleanse, Condition, Post-Wash Detangle, Leave In, Style

Different product for each step

All in the shower except pre-wash detangle

YES!

charmtreese

What is your typical/best wash day like? Typical I start my wash day the day before my actual wash day with a pre-poo overnight.
How often do you wash your hair? Bi-weekly
What is your hair like at the beginning of your wash routine? (Is it in a protective style? Is it an old twist out? Etc.) Normally it’s anywhere from a few hours to a day or two old twist out.
How much time does your wash day routine typically take, including styling? Not including the overnight pre-poo, 8 hours.
How many steps are in your wash day routine, including styling, and in what order do you do those steps? 1. Pre-Poo 2. Shampoo 3. Treat (optional) 4. Tea Rinse 5. Deep condition 6. Detangle & Leave-ins 7. Style
Do you use a different product for each step, or do you have products that multi-task? Yea, I use a different product (s) for each step.
Do you do all of your steps in the shower, the sink, or a combination? Pre-poo: on dry hair, Shampoo & Tea rinse: in Shower, Deep Condition: out of the shower (rinse out in the shower)
Do you have a lot of shed hair? No, it looks about average for wearing a my hair in twist for 2 weeks.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I wash once a week usually on Wednesday.

I shampoo in the sink (2 lathers).

I apply DC in sections and let it sit for 30 minutes with a plastic cap and turbie towel.

I rinse in the sink or shower.

Then I towel blot and cover my hair with another turbie towel to partially airdry.

All steps are done in braids. I don't unravel and detangle until my hair is 50% dry. I lose about 100 strands on wash day.

I wear the same braids under a wig all week, so the amount of hair I shed is relatively low.

The entire process takes about 2 hours.

Damaris.Elle

I'll use @Nightingale's template:
  1. How often do you wash your hair? Once a week.
  2. What is your hair like at the beginning of your wash routine? (Is it in a protective style? Is it an old twist out? Etc.) It's in an old braidout that I've worn for the past week,
  3. How much time does your wash day routine typically take, including styling? A basic wash day without a protein or henna treatment takes me about 1.5-2 hours. Detangling on a good day: 25 minutes, Rinsing/shampooing each section: about 15 minutes, DCing: 20 minutes, Blow-drying and braiding my hair: about 20-25 minutes
  4. How many steps are in your wash day routine, including styling, and in what order do you do those steps? 5 steps: Detangling, rinsing or shampooing, DCing, blow-drying using the cool setting and the tension method and then braiding my hair into 6 braids.
  5. Do you use a different product for each step, or do you have products that multi-task? I use different products.
  6. Do you do all of your steps in the shower, the sink, or a combination? I detangle at the sink in front of the mirror. I shampoo and apply my DC in the shower.
  7. Do you have a lot of shed hair? At times, yes I feel like it's a lot...but I guess considering that my hair hasn't been combed for a week it's not bad and probably average. I notice a kind of pattern...for a few weeks I don't get much shed hair and then maybe 1 week a month it seems like I get more shed hair than usual.

GGsKin

On average, about once a week these days.

What is your hair like at the beginning of your wash routine?
Wng- either loose or styled in some kind of updo.

Usually between 2.5 - 4hrs. Can be longer. Never shorter.

Typically 5. I rinse & remove sheds, DC & remove sheds, clay & finger detangle, rice water/ oil rinse, and seal (gel). The past two washes, I apply shea butter to my ends before gel. Also thinking of regularly adding egg+oil overnight prepoo.

Yes, different products.

I always apply products out of the shower. Sometimes I'll jump in and out to rinse, other times I just use the shower head leaning over the bath.

It doesn't seem like a lot but it is a fair amount. There's more when I comb my hair but that isn't often.

Last edited:

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Every other week full regimen. Weeks in between, water rinse ..
A couple of times a week I lightly dampen hair in the shower.

What is your hair like at the beginning of your wash routine? (Is it in a protective style? Is it an old twist out? Etc
In flat twists

2-3 hours if doing full regimen. Water rinse days the time I spend in the shower..

1)light oil on hair in sections
2)lightly finger detangle
3)apply deep conditioner on dry hair (moisturizing con + add neutral protein filler)
4)deep condition under steamer
5)shampoo in shower (focus on scalp)
6)Optional step * quick condition and rinse (remove remaining shed hair in shower)
7)air dry 85%
8)oil scalp
9)moisturize
10)flat twist

different products

1-4 out of shower
5-6 in shower
7-10 out of shower

Not really. My flat twists only come down fully 2xs a month, so the amount of shed hair is normal

Last edited:

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
How often do you wash your hair? 2x per week to every 2 weeks, depending on how lazy I am and how I styled my hair.
What is your hair like at the beginning of your wash routine? (Is it in a protective style? Is it an old twist out? Etc.) Old bun, wash n' go or two crown braids
How much time does your wash day routine typically take, including styling? 40 mins to 2 hours (depending on detangling)
How many steps are in your wash day routine, including styling, and in what order do you do those steps? Deep condition overnight, shampoo/co-wash, conditioner to detangle (sometimes), apply leave-in, then style
Do you use a different product for each step, or do you have products that multi-task? Different products
Do you do all of your steps in the shower, the sink, or a combination? Wash & Condition in Shower, and everything else at sink
Do you have a lot of shed hair? Only if I waited 2 weeks to wash

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
1. My wash days are easy breezy as long as I don't fall into neglect.
2. Hair gets reset every 3-10 days, closer to 3 days when it's hot outside (if not daily), if my last style was a wash n go, or if my last style was ugly; closer to 10 days when I've left a DC in my hair, if my last style was a set of braids/twists, or if it's extremely cold outside.
3. Most likely my hair is in a simple PS, 2-12 braids or twists. I only style my hair if I'm going somewhere other than work.
4. Wash day takes 20 minutes to 4 hours, depending on how lazy I'm being or whether I'm trying to look cute.
5. Simplest wash day is entirely in shower: lightly detangle with rinse out conditioner under running water, shampoo bar or black soap for cleansing, DC which I leave in until next time (doing 2-6) braids, cornrows, twists, or flat twists. Longer wash days I do henna or a protein treatment or a HOT and those take place outside the shower. I'll usually do most of the routine in the sink then wash out my conditioner in the shower. If I'm styling my hair to go out, I do so outside of the shower. So 4 steps (detangle, cleanse, DC, style) or 5 steps (added treatment for moisture or protein). I make an effort not to do treatments on dirty hair.
6. I use different products for each step, except I use DCs as stylers when I'm lazy or doing the minimum.
7. Combination. When I'm being lazy, everything is done in the shower. If I'm being more ambitious, I do the last parts in the shower and first parts in the sink.
8. I have just a little shed hair most of the time.

lesedi

All is well with me
Once a week usually
Celie braids under a headscarf, a (struggle) bun or puff
I DC over night so technically many hours but in reality, I only really deal with my hair for+- 1hr 30 mins total
1. (Sometimes) prepoo with castor oil under cling film
2. Finger detangle and section
3. Shampoo
4. Condition for 3-5 minutes)
5. Apply DC
6. Sleep (lol)
7. Rinse out DC
8. Moisturize and seal
9. Braid
Different products for each step
Combo
Do you have a lot of shed hair
I shed quite a lot, but protein helps

Curls&Justice417

1-2x weekly
Usually an old twist out. Or a failed curlformer/rollerset lol or flat ironed hair, but not often
Probably about 2-4 hours depending on what style I do. But I do everything on a Sunday so I'm in no rush so sometimes I poke around.
1. prepoo with avocado and/or coconut poil under plastic cap
2. Finger detangle
3. Shampoo
4. Deep condition for 20-30 min under heat cap
5. Rinse out DC
6. Moisturize and seal
7. Style
Do you use a different product foreach step, or do you have productsthat multi-task?
Different products for each step
Do you do all of your steps in theshower, the sink, or a combination?
Shampoo, DC, and rinse is in the shower. I prepoo and style at the sink.
Do you have a lot of shed hair
Yeah I feel like a shed a lot

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
1-2 times a week
I don't usually do anything special but sometimes I spray my scalp with a pre cleanse spray from Sally's and I also will occasionally put some serum or oil in my hair a little while before washing.
3-4 hours if I deep condition. If not maybe 2 hours if I don't include all the time I waste letting my hair dry lol.
How many steps are in your wash day routine, including styling, and in what order do you do those steps? Shampoo ( I do three lathers on my scalp only and use a shampoo comb thingy to loosen what's on my scalp), condition, sometimes deep condition with a heat cap. Apply leave in then wait for it to dry maybe 70% before blow drying it for a minute to fully dry. My hair is very porous and dries quickly. Then I flat iron first flat ironing the root to mid shafts of my hair in small sections at about 380 degrees then just going over the lower shafts in larger sections after at around 320.
I use a different product for each step. One staple is Vo5 cons which I use to detangle between shampoo lathers.
i use the tub for most of it
Not usually but it varies.

Last edited:

discodumpling

What is your typical/best wash day like? Easy peasy cause i'm lazy :)

How often do you wash your hair? 2-4 X per week
What is your hair like at the beginning of your wash routine? (Is it in a protective style? Is it an old twist out? Etc.) Usually in a fro. I wash n go 99.99% of the time.
How much time does your wash day routine typically take, including styling? A weekday wash takes as long as a shower...no more than 20 mins. A Sunday wash can take an hour and a half or until the hot water starts getting tepid.
How many steps are in your wash day routine, including styling, and in what order do you do those steps? Wash condition style done!
Do you use a different product for each step, or do you have products that multi-task? Yes different products for different steps.
Do you do all of your steps in the shower, the sink, or a combination? It all goes down in the shower!
Do you have a lot of shed hair? Only if i'm having hair issues. Other than that I lose a normal amount of strands with each wash.