Best Wash Day Method?

lamaria211

I've seen so many different ways ladies use to do their hair on wash day. So I thought we could have a thread dedicated to some of the best, easiest and most effective wash day techniques!! So do you.....

Pre poo, wash, CW then DC?

DC, wash, then CW?

Pre poo, wash, DC then CW?

HOT, wash, DC then CW?

Wash, HOT, DC, then CW?

I'm sure there are many more combos that you ladies will share. I would have added a poll but I want details:)

My hair type is 4b,c texlaxed and I DC, wash with sulfate free poo then CW once a week (Saturdays). On Wednesdays I DC and CW only. You ladies are also welcomed to add the products you use.
So what's your wash day routine?????

faithVA

I wash once a week, usually on Sunday

I prepoo with Deva Curl One
I wash with As I Am Cleansing Conditioner
I DC with AO Blue Chamomile.

I rarely cowash on washday, unless my hair feels very rough after the wash.

If I wear my hair loose which is rare I will cowash midweek with Deva Curl One.

Ajna

In the winter I wash my hair about once a week so it goes wash (black soap and neem oil), oil rinse (not every time but like twice a month and that is half half olive oil and castor oil) then DC

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Since it's Cold Out & I'm using Heavier Creams/Butters/Lotions/Oils (and Wigging daily)

I:

Use a gentle Cleansing Conditioner
Do a quick Protein or Reconstructor
Cowash with a R/O
Steam - Deep Condition

x2 per week Currently Tuesdays & Fridays

Ogoma

Pre-poo and Detangle, Co-wash or Wash depending on the week, DC and leave it in.

Last edited:

empressri

Prepoo-heavy oiling of my hair the night before

Shampoo

Condition, let it soak in and then detangle

Lately I've been DC by using saran wrap and then my electric heating cap. That method is AMAZING because the heat is really getting through all of my hair.

Then I style however, I did a wash and go twice in a row but I might flatiron for my bday

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I wash 1x a week. Normally wash day for me is pre-poo, shampoo, DC. Sometimes I switch it up like today - DC with heat on dry hair, sometimes I co-wash with V05 Strawberries and Cream and air dry.

Rozlewis

I pre-poo with Hair Trigger on my scalp and AO Honeysuckle Rose on the length of my hair. I sit under my conditioning cap for about 20 mins. After that I wash with a conditioning shampoo. After that I DC with various Dc's. I add rosemary and peppermint oil and steam for 40 - 60 mins. After that I rise, apply leave-ins, serum, and air dry. Sounds like a lot but I have it down to a science.

Marand13

When I'm not PSing I cowash a few times a week. On wash day every weekend I DC, wash with As I am Coconut cowash or if I need to actually shampoo I use Aussie moist or a clarifying shampoo. Then cowash again and DC again.

So, DC, wash, CW, DC. Sometimes I skip the first DC but I always have to DC after I shampoo or my hair will be dry.

It usually takes me 2 days to complete my wash day.. May be excessive, but it does work for me and with all the extra care my breakage is minimal.

spellinto

Prepoo: I perform prepoos irregularly, usually when my hair needs to be detangled beforehand (like after a braidout). I either use a blend of oils or a conditioner I wasn't too crazy about.

Wash: I cleanse with the sulfate free cleanser Hair One weekly and clarify with any sulfate shampoo 1x a month/as often as needed. I follow up with V05 Moisture Milks conditioner unless I plan on deep conditioning afterwards.

DC: Sometimes I DC on damp, clean hair, sometimes I DC on dry hair the day after my wash, occasionally on dry, dirty hair...it just depends on how I'm feeling :drunk: My staple DC is Silk Elements Mega-Silk Moisture Treatment :love3:

Cowash: I cowash whenever I deem necessary. I use V05 Moisture Milks conditioner, or whatever conditioner that's available and I feel comfortable enough to use.

Hope that helps...as you can see, I don't really have a set way of doing things on wash day, it just depends on what my hair feels like it needs first. The only part that occurs regularly is washing 1x a week and DCing 1-2x a week.

naturalmanenyc

Just washed and sitting with my hair in braids now. I prefer to pre poo with aloe vera juice and oils, detangle, wash and deep condition.

I used aloe vera juice, coconut oil and safflower oil in my pre poo and leave that on for at least one hour.

I detangle with my seamless combs with the pre poo in my hair.

I washed with my Chargin Valley Ayurvedic Herb Shampoo Sample.

I deep conditioned with Aubrey Organics GPB

My leave in is a mix of Nature's Gate Henna conditioner along with aloe vera juice, safflower oil, coconut oil and castor oil.

Last edited:

alove15

Started this and it's been working:
-Remove shed hair w/ water and conditioner spritz
-Cleanse
-Conditioner Detangle (or DC then detangle)

EnExitStageLeft

Since its Winter I'm Shampooing majority of the time.

I prepoo Hair Trigger on my scalp and a Ceramide Oil on my length and ends. (My staple is Hempseed Oil, but Wheat Germ is giving it a run for its money honey :spinning:. If I do not have either of the two then Grapeseed and Rice Bran are awesome substitutes.)

Then I Shampoo with a moisturizing sulfate free shampoo, Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo and lather twice. However, if its a clarifying session. I'll lather once with Elucence Moisture Acidifying Shampoo and the follow that once more with the Elasta QP CCS. (Both Staples)

Depending on the week I would *insert a reconstructive treatment here* (I have many I really like and no real staple as of now)

I will then steam with my Moisturizing DC (Various Staples, but my HG's are the AO Condish's)

I will then cowash the DC out with a Cheapy Slippy Silicone Free Condish

Apply leave In's to wet/damp hair, Air Dry and Be on bout' my bidness :yep:.

So its Prepoo, Shampoo, DC then CW for me :grin:

Last edited:

Aireen

I just wash and deep condition. I get the quickest results with little effort. By deep condition, I just leave the product on for 5-20 minutes depending on if I have to shave/exfoliate.

I used to really like pre-pooing and leaving conditioner on overnight when I was now starting my journey but I don't really need all those extra steps anymore.

isawstars

Use diluted shampoo on my scalp if I have build up.
Follow up/begin with Wen.
DC with Silk Elements Mega Silk.
Apply castor oil then rinse.
Use Wen as a leave in and for detangling.

I'm noticing a big trend in pre-pooing... I think I'm going to give that a shot! I wanna know what the big deal is about it. lol

Kindheart

Shampoo + DC + Leave in+oil Prepooing with oils is a bit hit and Miss with my hair ,it doesnt always give good results
.what i do sometimes is use conditioner as a moisturizer leave it on my dry hair for an hour or longer then shampoo and rinse with a lighter conditioner .

reeko43

I'm noticing a big trend in pre-pooing... I think I'm going to give that a shot! I wanna know what the big deal is about it. lol

For me, prepooing really helps me to detangle my hair, especially after several days of a wng where my hair is just one big tangled mass.

I put the conditioner on dampened hair and a shower cap or plastic bag. After about 1/2 hr, I am able to detangle fairly easily with a wide toothed comb. I then twist my hair in 5 sections. It makes the subsequent wash and dc so much easier.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
DC on dirty hair (steamed in or not with various combo's)
Cowash (apply tea/coffee squeeze out the excess, then add oil, then my cowash conditioner put a cap on while I wash my body)
Rinse it all out and apply leave in of avj and tea, squeeze the excess out, apply oil - apply leave in conditioner apply more oil.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
Overnight MT DC on dirty hair
Co-cleanse the next day, and use LOC method (co-cleanse, detangle, oil, conditioner as a leave in)
let dry till damp, apply gel, and shake
Done

SimJam

every 7 - 10 days

Poo - DC protein - DC moisture - tea spritz
my hair does not take kindly to me mixing protein and moisture products together so Im stuck with 2 separate sessions.

1. Poo (sulphate free) - HV amala creme rinse/HQS coconut lime/AsIAm coconut cowash
2. DC light protein - SSI okra/fortifying mask, CJ repair me, Aphogee 2 minute
3. DC moisture - HV sitrinillah, SD vanilla silk/chocolate Bliss, Pura body chocolate smoothie, KBB luscious mask
4. tea spritz

I try to do an overnight scalp/hair oil soak twice a month, but it normally works out to only once a month

DCs last 30mins if using heat therapy wrap and 15 - 20 if using steamer

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Prepoo (when needed), put hair in 6-8 twists, use a watered down poo in applicator bottle, rinse, dc and style. It is much easier than it looks typed. I detangle on damp to dry hair. Less breakage that way.

bride91501

My serious wash day happens only once/month because I co-wash in my month-long PS 3x week. Here is my process:

~ Pre-poo & finger detangle the night before using Chicorro's method (AVG & castor oil, sealed with coconut oil)

~ Clarify shampoo, then detangle in shower with V05 conditioner

~ Protein treatment, then DC. I haven't regularly DC'd with heat in nearly 2 years...I usually put on the DC, baggie, then throw a hat or scarf over that & sleep in it overnight.

SimJam

isawstars pre-pooing came about, I believe, to counteract the dryness that can be associated with sulphate shampoos.

I dont prepoo regularly because I dont use sulphate shampoos, but I still like to throw an over night pre-poo once in a while just for sh!ts and giggles