What Length of Fake Hair is just TOO Long to You?

What length of fake hair is considered to long?

• BSL+ weave/wig is too long (real hair is shorter)

Votes: 76 19.7%
  • Nothing wrong with a long BSL+ weave/wig (no matter real hair length)

Votes: 126 32.7%
  • BSL+ weave/wig is ok (real hair is same length)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • I don't wear weaves

Votes: 143 37.1%

• Total voters

Ediese

In the past circa 1999, I didn't mind wearing weaves/wigs down to my butt. I think once I got a little older, I realized that 1) it looked really fake and I couldn't do it to myself anymore, 2) no one would believe that it was real (what's the point in wearing it if everyone think it's fake). I think a part of this is because alot of bw IRL don't usually walk around with real hair that length. So, I know that people would be watching my head extra hard if they saw it.:ohwell:

Now that I've done the short bob weave for the past 3 months, I'm tired of this length and want to be adventurous and get a long weave:grin:. Even though my real hair should be around BSLish, I think I still feel self conscious walking around with fake hair that long. Has anyone else ever felt this way? What do you think when you see women walking around with really long hair that you 'think' is fake?

Last edited:

MA2010

My hair is now SL. I prefer my weave, no matter my hair length, to be no longer than 12-16 inches.

It sounds weird, I know, but the longer the weave the more fake it looks to me. When I wear a short weave even if it's 16 inches most people always think its my hair.

MizAvalon

I think it depends. For example, Naomi Campbell wears those butt length weave/wigs all the time and I think they look great on her. Hairline aside.

Some women can pull off those super long lengths.

Ediese

My hair is now SL. I prefer my weave, no matter my hair length, to be no longer than 12-16 inches.

It sounds weird, I know, but the longer the weave the more fake it looks to me. When I wear a short weave even if it's 16 inches most people always think its my hair.

Thanks. I've never gone past 14", that's about APL on me. I've always thought 16" would be too long. I'm thinking of getting that though for my next install.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
fake hair is too long to me when its like 2 inches past what i have, if its being worn down. if its up all the time then it can be as long as it needs to me to make a bun easily(usually bsl)

mxdchiq86

i usually do 16''.. i've even done 18. i think it all depends on what looks natural for that particular person. if you have alot of hair out with your weave and can make it blend ( meaning your hair is at least apl+ ) then i think having a BSL-MBL weave is fine. that's just me, tho.. i like long hair. i wouldn't wear a waist length weave but anything above that is cool for me personally. i wear bsl weaves and people are very shocked to find out that it's a weave. i've seen it on some and it looks very unnatural. just depends on the person.

Ediese

fake hair is too long to me when its like 2 inches past what i have, if its being worn down. if its up all the time then it can be as long as it needs to me to make a bun easily(usually bsl)

Yep, I'm thinking if it's BSL or a couple inches longer, then that might be ok.

Anew

Also, the only reason I'd get a weave was b/c I didn't want to do hair, it would defeat the purpose if I got a long one

fluffylocks

Even if your real hair was MBL?

Oops I posted before I saw the poll.

If im ever wearing anything thats really long or thick, then I also feel self-concious.

When I see a woman with a really long weave that I think is fake I usually think " :perplexed :rolleyes: What is she thinking/why/that doesnt look real AT ALL/she needs to stop"

If I were MBL, I wouldnt have a problem with it.

The things im thinking about with fake hair are

1. I dont want this weave to be "better" than my real hair ( alot thicker, or my hair is the same length, but looks more raggedy because of the ends or the way it looks)

2. If Im going long, I dont want it to be THAT much longer than my real hair, because I dont want it to feel like something that I can never obtain and want to feel comfy walking around with my hair after I take it off. Or even if my hair was Chin length, the longest I would probally go is BSL, I would just want my hair on point when I take the fake hair off.

--If those two are good, then I dont really care about other people. Friends/family/coworkers, they probally know what your real hair looks like or will see it one day, and other people on the street *shrugs*

Ediese

i usually do 16''.. i've even done 18. i think it all depends on what looks natural for that particular person. if you have alot of hair out with your weave and can make it blend ( meaning your hair is at least apl+ ) then i think having a BSL-MBL weave is fine. that's just me, tho.. i like long hair. i wouldn't wear a waist length weave but anything above that is cool for me personally. i wear bsl weaves and people are very shocked to find out that it's a weave. i've seen it on some and it looks very unnatural. just depends on the person.

Thanks! Your hair is gorgeous btw.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
YEARS AGO, I let a hair dresser talk me into some WSL corn rows before and I was self conscious about them the minute I walked out the salon so they were bunned up until it was time to take them down.

When I wore them weaves and wigs were between shoulder and apl.

There has been no fake hair in my life for about 3 years. It's cheaper to just grow my own.

Ediese

Oops I posted before I saw the poll.

If im ever wearing anything thats really long or thick, then I also feel self-concious.

When I see a woman with a really long weave that I think is fake I usually think " :perplexed :rolleyes: What is she thinking/why/that doesnt look real AT ALL/she needs to stop"

If I were MBL, I wouldnt have a problem with it.

The things im thinking about with fake hair are

1. I dont want this weave to be "better" than my real hair ( alot thicker, or my hair is the same length, but looks more raggedy because of the ends or the way it looks)

2. If Im going long, I dont want it to be THAT much longer than my real hair, because I dont want it to feel like something that I can never obtain and want to feel comfy walking around with my hair after I take it off. Or even if my hair was Chin length, the longest I would probally go is BSL, I would just want my hair on point when I take the fake hair off.

--If those two are good, then I dont really care about other people. Friends/family/coworkers, they probally know what your real hair looks like or will see it one day, and other people on the street *shrugs*

Thanks for posting this!

Chameleonchick

Hmm the longest I have worn was 18 inches. If the hubby wouldn't mind the price for some good quality longer hair I would probably rock it too.

Neith

I've never worn a weave, but I'll be damned if someone is gonna tell me what I should do with my own hair whether or not I bought it :lol:

If it looks good to you, wear it :yep:

TCatt86

I wouldn't care. As long as it looks cute what does it matter. As long as my weaves don't look like a wig I'm cool. My hair is natural anyway so when people see me with straight hair whether it be mine or not, they think it's a wig anyway.

justsimply

I've done braid extensions before, and this is in essence a weave. I've always had my braids about 3 inches longer than my hair.

I think only lengths that you would never allow your real hair to grow to is too long. I personally think that if you're not trying to pass it off as your real hair who cares if everyone thinks it fake. It still has to be on point, but you don't have any qualms saying it's a wig/weave, etc. I would never cut my real hair just because no one believed it was mine so why would I choose the length of my weave based on this.

Amerie123

Ediese, we are always on the same page. LOL, it's funny. I say that to say, when u make a post, it was probably on my mind. I have been wearing my weaves in bob-style for the past 3 months too (this install is shorter than the first one i did), and I told myself, I am taking this out this weekend, and putting in a 14 inch weave with a side bang. I want a longer weave now. Also, I'm taking the current one out sooner than I'd expected (4 weeks), so Im gonna leave the old cornrows in, wash, and re-sew in the longer weave.

But to answer the question, I wouldn't go past BSL in weave, and even that is pushing it a bit. I remember the longest weave i wore was 16". It looked pretty good.

heyfranz

I have a 16" right now. Braids in front - install in back

Attachments

• IMG00008.jpg
    IMG00008.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 73

Ediese

Ediese, we are always on the same page. LOL, it's funny. I say that to say, when u make a post, it was probably on my mind. I have been wearing my weaves in bob-style for the past 3 months too (this install is shorter than the first one i did), and I told myself, I am taking this out this weekend, and putting in a 14 inch weave with a side bang. I want a longer weave now. Also, I'm taking the current one out sooner than I'd expected (4 weeks), so Im gonna leave the old cornrows in, wash, and re-sew in the longer weave.

But to answer the question, I wouldn't go past BSL in weave, and even that is pushing it a bit. I remember the longest weave i wore was 16". It looked pretty good.

Thanks girl! I think I'll go for BSL with my next weave. Are you doing it yourself? Sounds like it will be really cute.

I'm thinking of getting it straight with a middle part and long layers throughout. My only problem is that I hate having to use heat to blend when I leave hair out, but I'm kinda tired of the full head weave with everything braided.

DaDragonPrincess

I think it depends. For example, Naomi Campbell wears those butt length weave/wigs all the time and I think they look great on her. Hairline aside.

Some women can pull off those super long lengths.

OMG I love Naomi, and yes she be rocking that long weave,lol.

The longest I would go far as weave is MBL , but it has to be a little longer then my hair.

ajoyfuljoy

I do MBL but I won't go past booty (if it looks good, I'm not talking about the cheap looking stuff)

Thann

I don't go past BSL length myself. I'm 5'8 and 16" falls right at that for me. My biggest concern was making sure that the density wasn't too thick b/c I noticed that it took more hair to install 16" verses 14".

My real hair is only SL, but it doesn't make a difference in how realistic my weave looks imo. I have the horseshoe/sides left out and I use my real hair to make my bangs.