What makes a wonderful Minister?

JustKiya

Greetings, Ladies.

I'm posting here to ask for a bit of a favor for a class project that I am doing, where I need to conceptualize what a minister/pastor/preacher should be - as seen by the people that s/he ministers to.

I don't have much church experience, and I was hoping that you ladies might be able to share anecdotes with me of ministers who ministered to you personally, and what are the talents/skills/knowledge/abilities of the best ministers that you know.

Thank you kindly for any assistance.....

K. :peace:

HUMILITY

I feel a good minister is one who is incredibly humble and is ready to serve their congregation and not for people to serve them only.

A good friend of mine and former pastor always exemplified to me what being a pastor is about. Basically, he was there to love and serve the people. He wasn't there to tell the people what they wanted to hear, he was there to help people experience healing in their personal lives and live lives reconciled to God.

More generally, a pastor has to have a genuine love and passion for people. He/she should be familiar enough with scripture to teach and have the character to lead by example. And also a pastor has to have faith for their vision. Church work is hard work, and if someone is in it for personal ambition, etc., it can suck them dry. Or if they end up being successful, it can become just about the money. A good pastor will not be driven by his/her own glory or ambition, but will be driven by the perception that he/she has been called by God to give him/herself fully to the spiritual growth of a congregation.

Here are a few of the common qualities that I think make a great pastor. There are other qualities that are specific to the type of ministry (e.g urban ministry, rural ministry, cultural issues that require different skills/personality traits), but I am just naming the common traits that I think should be in all.

1) Servant-leader. I believe that a pastor should have a servant's heart. This means that their primary goal is to serve God and the people he/she has been called to lead.

2) Must have a vision (divine of course) for his/her flock.

3) Patient - There are all kinds of people in a congregation and some require more patience than others. :look:

4) Loving/Must love people - If you don't love God's people, why are you in ministry?

5) Strong in faith - Must be able to hold on to what is true and what is of God regardless of who is in their ear.

6) Integrity and strength of character - If you teach/preach it, you should do your best to live it, otherwise, your example and your words won't be effective.

7) Optimistic with a good does of reality - I'm not talking about blind optimism (they must be aware of the world we live in and the reality of what goes on in it), but if you really believe what is written in the bible and the promises of God, how can you not be optimistic? I believe that pastors who are not optimistic may unknowingly pass down a defeatist attitude to their congregants and as Christians, we should not live defeated.

That's all I have for now. I pray your project goes well.

All the above and their life must exemplify what they teach or as they say "practice what you preach".

All of the above.

The Bible gives these qualities for a bishop/pastoral leader

2 Timothy Chapter 3

3:1 This [is] a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3:3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
3:4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
3:5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
3:6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
3:7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

All of the above.

The Bible gives these qualities for a bishop/pastoral leader

2 Timothy Chapter 3

3:1 This [is] a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3:3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
3:4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
3:5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
3:6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
3:7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

Exactly. The word of The Lord always "sums" it up :yep:

Someone who preaches the TRUTH but in LOVE. Not preaching about sin and consequneces is not sharing the truth. People should be convicted by your words but not feel judged.

If you look at your congregation and they are living right then you have done the will of God. If your church looks like the world monday through saturday then they may be coming for the experience but its not life chaging.

Back