What percentage do you relax your hair?

RabiaElaine

I'm trying to determine what percentage I should relax my hair to prevent breakage, I'm 4a/b. I think that I've been allowing my hair to be straigtened too much and am losing my elasticity, causing breakage after awhile.

Plus my hair dress has been combing the relaxer through my hair a couple of inches past the new growth, which I'm learning is not good for my hair.

Just looking for some basic advice on relaxing.

I just want to start off by saying that I went to a new stylist for my last touch-up and she, as well as the rest of the spa, was very professional. Her 4a/b hair was highlighted & relaxed and very close to bra strap. So when I realized after my relaxer that I still had one "curl" of newgrowth left I was a little nervous that the new relaxer didn't take. But I really do trust her and the ladies on here say it's best not to relax your hair straight lessening the chance of breakage at the line of decramation*. So to answer your question, I'm not sure of the percentage but leave one curl. Does anyone else agree?

Edited- incramation to decramation
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
canadiana said:
At the salon that I go to, my hair is relaxed 80%

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your texture?? What does your hair look like when it is 80% relaxed? Does it get frizzy easily when you want to wear it in a straight style?

[ QUOTE ]
RabiaElaine said:
[ QUOTE ]
canadiana said:
At the salon that I go to, my hair is relaxed 80%

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your texture?? What does your hair look like when it is 80% relaxed? Does it get frizzy easily when you want to wear it in a straight style?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm a 4a/b. And surprisingly, my hair is straight, it's just the roots that are more texturized. I have pictures in the first link of my hair after a relaxer. And my hair doesn't get frizzy when I want to wear it in a straight style. HTH!

I relax mine maybe 60-70%. I'm not sure of the percentage but it's a little less than half the time recommended. It didn't start out that way on purpose, it just seemed to happen. I prefer having more texture to my hair anyway rather than bone straight.

I really don't know what the percentage is but for example my 4a parts look like something in the middle of 3c and 3b. So I guess that would be 60%. My 4b parts are straight so I guess that would be 90%.

I have 4b and have my hair is relaxed about 85% using affirm lye mild -- it comes out straight and full of body and bounce with each rollerset. . .

Hiza,

Beutiful, just beutiful hair....

You ladies are really inspiring me to not straigten my hair as much. It will probably take more getting used to, but I have a feeling my hair will be easier to deal with, because the relaxed texture won't be soooooo drematically different from my natural texture. This will also give me the option of wash and go's where my hair will look curly.

However with relaxing the hair 50-60% is that considered a texturizer, or do you still consider that a relaxer??

Keep adding your posts about experiences with this. Is anyone able to stretch the relaxer time longer due to this??

Interesting question...
I'm texturized, so 10-30% (I have one very underprocessed section) I plan to have it straightened a bit more. I'm thinking 30-50%... but I'm liking my hair now.
perplexed.gif
Yes, I can do it less often (twice a year) and it's not as difficult to manage the new growth.

I was tired of stylist combing relaxer thru my hair so I relaxed my own hair not bone straight and loving it.
I have seen a big difference in not combing relaxer thru to the ends of the hair.

[ QUOTE ]
ricamorena03 said:
Mine is relaxed about 85%. It straightens when I rollerset my hair, but is wavy when I airdry it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like me too but I am thinking of going to 60%.
scratchchin.gif

Chichi
bdance.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RabiaElaine said:
[ QUOTE ]
flyjump00 said:
About 60% for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fly Jump, what texture is your hair?? It's beutiful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhh! Thank you!
I think I am a 3b according to the chart.

I'm thinking of doing my own relaxer too, or having a friend of mine relax it, who relaxes hers.

I'm 4a/b not sure which. I use Affirm Regular, usually left in for 20-25 minutes. How long should I leave it in to reduce the amount my hair is relaxed, so that my hair will have elasticity, and have a wash and go look when I want and a straight look when I want?

Should I switch to Affirm mild???

Will I really be able to see the results of a test with just the new growth, which might be about an inch of curly hair, with the rest relaxed if I can stretch my relaxer a few more weeks?

Back