What Product(s) Do You Use For Your Braidouts?

Chichi

I am trying to get my braidouts down to a science y'all
. This will be one of the styles that I plan to transition with. I have 15 weeks of new growth that I would like to "stretch" while doing my braidout. Right now, all I am doing is using some leave-in and the Pantene R&N wrap and set lotion and my braidouts are coming out okay
but I am sure they could come out even better with some new products specifically designed for waves and curls.

So what products(s) could you recommend that would:
-tame frizzes
-stretch new growth
-give great curl definition???

anyone?

Chichi

Angelicus

For me, after washing and conditioning my hair, for a nice wet look:
1. apply motions leave-in all over
2. throw a very small amount of olive oil all over
3. do the twist thing and secure with small, lavendar rollers and sit under the dryer for an hour.
4. unravel and throw a small amount of coconut oil all over for shine.

Ipanema

I've found that really thick products on wet hair work best when I do braid-outs. I used Palmer's cocoa butter (the thick, waxy kind that came in a jar). It really gave me some great waves & helped stretch out my hair, but it does cause build-up.

inthepink

I usually just spray my hair with a moisturizing spray and then braid. Spray a leave-in on the ends before rolling wiht perm rods.

Chichi

Thanks ladies... I will be giving EVERYTHING on this thread a try until I get the look that I want...

@Ipanema if you are using a heavy, waxy product, I wonder what will happen if I use the CD Mimosa Hair Honey
because it sure as heck feels like wax to me

@hairlove, what is the name of that moisturizing spray
?

any others?

Chichi

inthepink

Thank You, Labett.

Chichi, I make my own moisturizing spray. I use a little leave-in, rosemary growth oil, lavendar oil, proclaim 7 oil, and the rest is distilled water.

Lindy

My secret formula for a great braidout is this:

1) My JF Relax Retexturizing Serum (not really NECESSARY)
2) Motions Nourish Leave In Conditioner
3) UBH Moisturizer
4) Carefree Curl Gold Activator
4) Hot Six Oil

It seems like a lot of products but this combo always gives me the best results!!

Kha

For me...I use KemiOyl and Aloe Vera Gel. These two give me a nice soft and long hold.

Nay

I used to use Black & Sassy Creamy set. It worked pretty good, but my hair came out kind of crunchy, and it looked kind of dry by the third day.

Now I just use good old water and "grease." I wash my hair, condition, rinse> And then while my hair is still wet, I make my braids, liberally applying Liv Hair Dressing. My braidouts hold up great, and look pretty shiny for a good while!! My last braidout looked great for five whole days!

You just really have to try different products and see what works for ya.

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
I agree with anky with using coconut oil. I use Vatika. I just started doing braid outs...and the coconut oil give it shine and keeps the hair moisturized.

Chichi

wow and I have some coconut oil right here but never tried it for a braid out...it seems like no two people are using the same routine...I am feeling that I need something heavy to weigh my new growth down, so the coconut oil and grease sound good...who was it that said, so many products, so little time

Chichi

phynestone

I section my hair in about eight parts and spray it with S-Curl for moisture. Then I braid the parts and slather vaseline or some type of thick grease on the braids and curl the ends under. After a couple of days of doing this, I undo the braids and have nice curls to play with.

candie19

I use Kera Kare setting lotion, then do a 2-strand twist (it doesn't take a long a braiding). I put Creme of Nature's Holding Wax on the ends. I works well to prevent frizz. I put paper on the ends and roll it with "Jheri Curl" rollers in a spiral direction to make it look natural.

sengschick

The Bun Master
I use ApHogee Leave-in, Aveda Brilliant Styling Cream (gives great shine), along with Phyto Antidefisiant, Nexxus Botanoil and Coconut Oil. If my hair starts drying before I finish braiding I spray it w/a little distilled water. I don't use anything for "setting" b/c I haven't found it necessary.

hotshot

i used to use water, bronner brothers super gro grease and a water based gel, something shine, i forget what it was called. i am experimenting because i dont like the feel of grease versus moisturizer.

L.Mo.

I apply Profectiv BreakFree to my wet hair. I braid in 3 or 4 plaits when it is damp (not sopping wet). Apply shea butter to the ends and curl ends under with a roller. Then, I sleep in a plastic cap for the first 4 hours of the night. I wear my satin cap overtop to avoid the "rustle". At some point, I wake up in the night and take the plastic cap off. By morning, my hair is somewhat dry, but not completely. I release the damp hair, which, amazingly holds its curl. If my hair dries too much, it gets frizzy. Sometimes I apply jojoba oil after I've let out the braids.

Ipanema

Well, I've recently changed the products that I use for braid-outs. Right now, I apply Razac Leave-in conditioner, top that with Razac body lotion, and add a bit of scented petroleum jelly to the very ends. Then I roll the ends around rods. So far there has been much less build-up & a softer feel--plus the combination smells great.