PRODUCTS? What products are you using for your Bantu Knots, Twistouts, Braidouts....

Hair? Products?

• Dry Hair

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Wet Hair

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • Damp Hair

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • Gel

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Setting Lotion

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Holding Spray

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Styling Cream

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • Pomade

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Other (please elaborate)

Votes: 22 44.9%

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shaley

Hi Ladies,

I’m not sure if this has already been posted as a thread or not but if so, please direct me there.

My question and or concern is that everytime I’ve attempted bantu knots, twistouts or braidouts, my curls or waves stay for maybe 2 hours but start to fall and the curls are sometimes completely gone by the end of the day.

What products, techniques, or combination of products are you using to have curls or waves that are defined and stay in all day or for at least most of the day.

I like setting my hair on dry or damp hair but I don’t like doing these sets on wet hair because it gives too much shrinkage.

These are some of the following products I’ve used that give temporary results but not lasting – but then again, I may not be using the right combinations to make them work.

• Afroveda Pur Gelly
• Afroveda Curl Define (curl custard)
• Shescentit Macadamia Fixing Gel
• Silk Elements Designing Foam mousse
• Silk Elements Curl Define mousse

ANY suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

(I've also posted a poll just to get a broad idea)

ETA: Hair: Relaxed/Telaxed

Last edited:

BlackMasterPiece

Re: PRODUCTS? What products are you using for your Bantu Knots, Twistouts, Braidouts.

My product for my Bantu Knot/ Knot-outs: I would use ORS Olive Oil moisturizer

My product for my twists/twist-outs: ORS Lock and Twist Gel with some unrefined african shea butter added

My products for my braid-outs: I do a little shea butter and some ors lock and twist gel

I hope to gradually switch all my products to black owned haircare products:yep:

RavingBeauty

Re: PRODUCTS? What products are you using for your Bantu Knots, Twistouts, Braidouts.

I currently have relaxed hair with about 2" of new growth and this is my grow out style.

I do mine on damp hair with a mixture that I whip up in my Magic Bullet - Coconut oil, olive oil, and castor oil. I slather that stuff on after a DC and let it air dry a little bit. Then I do my knots and if I'm in a hurry, I'll sit under the dryer. Otherwise, I'll sleep on it. Sometimes I just finish it off with 10 minutes under the dryer to set it. This lasts for about 5 days if I can stand to not wash my hair that long.

If I happen to do it with dry hair for a silkier look, I use the same mix and I have a spray bottle of water for my ends since they seem to not look as finished when I start with dry hair. I mist the knots with water after they are in and then I sit under the dryer or sleep on them. I notice it seems to set better with the dryer for sure. This lasts about 2-3 days.

Also, experiment with different sized knots. Smaller ones will give you a tighter curl that will probably last longer. Oh, and when I sit under the hooded dryer, I use a satin cap so that the heat is not directly on my hair. I don't know if it really helps, but it makes me feel better about using heat!

I only use leave-in conditioner and natural oil (e.g. Coconut, Castor) with my braid-outs. My hair doesn't like gel, pomades, or any "stiff" products. I like to keep it light.

LoveCraze

Naturalista

I like to use Oyin Whipped Pudding and David Babaii volcanic ash sculpting clay for my bantu's and twists. They come out moisturized and defined. I would love to find an equivalent product that I can uy locally though.

exoticmommie

On slightly damp hair I put on a creamy leave in. Then I put my aloe vera gel mixture on each section before I braid/twist (aloe vera gel mixed with my favorite oils: avocado, coconut, macadamia etc.) then I seal with more oil.

I haven't done bantu's in a long time. When I did, I just put a moisturizer on dry hair and seal. Before doing each section.

Shaley

My product for my Bantu Knot/ Knot-outs: I would use ORS Olive Oil moisturizer

My product for my twists/twist-outs: ORS Lock and Twist Gel with some unrefined african shea butter added

My products for my braid-outs: I do a little shea butter and some ors lock and twist gel

I hope to gradually switch all my products to black owned haircare products:yep:

I've heard about that ORS twist and lock gel, I may have to try that.

I currently have relaxed hair with about 2" of new growth and this is my grow out style.

I do mine on damp hair with a mixture that I whip up in my Magic Bullet - Coconut oil, olive oil, and castor oil. I slather that stuff on after a DC and let it air dry a little bit. Then I do my knots and if I'm in a hurry, I'll sit under the dryer. Otherwise, I'll sleep on it. Sometimes I just finish it off with 10 minutes under the dryer to set it. This lasts for about 5 days if I can stand to not wash my hair that long.

If I happen to do it with dry hair for a silkier look, I use the same mix and I have a spray bottle of water for my ends since they seem to not look as finished when I start with dry hair. I mist the knots with water after they are in and then I sit under the dryer or sleep on them. I notice it seems to set better with the dryer for sure. This lasts about 2-3 days.

Also, experiment with different sized knots. Smaller ones will give you a tighter curl that will probably last longer. Oh, and when I sit under the hooded dryer, I use a satin cap so that the heat is not directly on my hair. I don't know if it really helps, but it makes me feel better about using heat!

Sitting under the dryer, good idea, I never thought of that. I'll probably try that on dry hair after spritzing my hair with a little water.

I only use leave-in conditioner and natural oil (e.g. Coconut, Castor) with my braid-outs. My hair doesn't like gel, pomades, or any "stiff" products. I like to keep it light.

I've tried this also but i think my hair needs some type of holding product because it always falls within a couple of hours.

I like to use Oyin Whipped Pudding and David Babaii volcanic ash sculpting clay for my bantu's and twists. They come out moisturized and defined. I would love to find an equivalent product that I can uy locally though.

So do you use the Oyin and the David Babaii together or separately/alternatively? Do you like one more than the other? or does one provide moisture and hold?

On slightly damp hair I put on a creamy leave in. Then I put my aloe vera gel mixture on each section before I braid/twist (aloe vera gel mixed with my favorite oils: avocado, coconut, macadamia etc.) then I seal with more oil.

I haven't done bantu's in a long time. When I did, I just put a moisturizer on dry hair and seal. Before doing each section.

I have some trader's joes aloe vera gel in my cabinet that i normally use after I shave. I may have to try this on my hair.

THANKS LADIES! :yep:

LoveCraze

Naturalista

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephElise

So do you use the Oyin and the David Babaii together or separately/alternatively? Do you like one more than the other? or does one provide moisture and hold?

I use one or the other seperately. I like them both actually. They both moisturize and have great hold. I usually apply on slighly damp hair but I've also applied on dry hair. I think it sets better when hair is slightly dampened though.

Your Cheeziness

I do my braid outs on dry hair and only use a little spray leave in (Jane Carter) and a little coconut oil.

darlingdiva

For twistouts on wet/damp hair, I use the Jane Carter Solution Hair Nourishing Cream and KBB hair oil.

For twistouts on dry hair, I use Hairveda's Almond Glaze and the Jane Carter Solution Revitalizing Leave-In.

hillytmj

I recently had my best braidout ever by sitting under my hood dryer until my hair was damp. I had setting lotion in it when it was wet, but I didn't add my Qhemet Biologics heavy cream until it was damp. Then I detangled, made a few braids and got back under the dryer for 30 minutes. When I woke up the next day, my hair was wavy and soft, not dry and frizzy like it is when I braidout on soaking wet hair.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!

^^^ Loving Qhemet. I ordered Burdock Root for my braidouts, but I'm waiting on my Amla Heavy Cream because my NG is out of control and I need something a bit more moisturizing to tackle the dryness there.

I've also tried Uncle Funky's Daughter Extra Butter as well. Both products are fantastic!!

4evershika

For twist-outs: I do them on wet/damp hair and I use HE LTR OR Healthy Sexy Hair Pumpkin Potion and sealing with some type of oil... my braidouts last usually 3-4 days w/out re-twisting.

For bantu knot-outs: I do them on dry (at least 85% dry) hair with just about any product that does NOT contain glycerin and sealing. They usually last 2-3 days.

I've never used gel and only use mousse occasionally... not very often tho...

TamedTresses

Normally, if my hair is wet I use setting foam. I use Treasured Locks Locks of Curls pomade. I had a lot left over once I went natural, and it still works great so I am using it up.

longhairlover

I have been doing twistouts since i'm working out alot now, on towel dried hair I use silk elements mousse which I love, it's alcohol free too which is a plus. I dry under my dryer it is a lil' crunchy at first but normally in the next few days it softens up, or I add carrot oil. it comes out really really nice and shiny.

infojunkie

Even though I'm natural now, I use Black and Sassy Setting Cream for my twists. It's one of the few products that made the transition from relaxed to natural. It has no alcohol, it's creamy but fairly light, and my hair stays soft while having good definition and hold. (It's also cheap and available at any BSS.)

levone

I normally do twistouts, but want to play around with braidouts soon. I use a multitude of products, but normally prefer to finish off with a gel or setting/holding agent. A few examples of what I've used are Miss Jessie's (curly pudding, meringue), Taliah Wijaad Loc Gel (best flattwist out with this and castor oil), Ecostyler Krystal (be sure to use moisturizer under this), Cantu Shea Leavein (this gives a little hold and worked suprisingly well). BTW, these are the products I would use for an overnight set.

If I wanted to wear twists for a bit first (week or more) I may start with a creamy product (favorite is Carol's Daughter hair butter) instead of a gel or holding product, Oyin's Whipped Pudding, Miss Jessie's buttercreme, etc, then wet my hair (dry overnight) before releasing. Hope this helps.

NikStarrr

I do wet and dry braidouts. On wet braidouts I use a shea butter/EVOO blend and Fantasia IC gel. On dry braidouts, I let my hair airdry in a bun after applying coconut oil, a little fantasia IC gel and castor oil on the ends. once about 90% dry, I take down and braid.

Nouvelle

For twistouts, braidouts, bantu knots, etc. on dry or damp hair I use the same products. Either it's a combination of just Giovanni Direct Leave In and coconut oil, or a combination of Giovanni Direct Leave In, coconut oil, and Fantasia IC Gel.

EMJazzy

Happily retired

I use Elucence MB mixed with JBCO & wheatgerm oil for my twists (and as my regular leave in) and when I wear my twistout I freshen my hair up with Organics Cornrow & Braid Revitalizer (I was able to have a nice lookin twistout for 3 days using that stuff) :yep:

LadyRaider

I've been bunning so last night was my first braid out in a while. I used Shescentit coco cream on damp hair. It was pretty, but my braidouts don't last more than a day.

Tonight when I redid them, I dampened my sections with Shescentit Moisture Mist, added some Jojoba Hair Milk.

We'll see how they go. :)

lboogie2679

I use Giovanni Direct Leavin and qhemet burdock root butter cream on damp hair for braidouts.

goodmorningruby

I usually just use any one of the many moisturizers and sealants I have on wet or damp hair, doesn't matter which.

When I do any of those styles on dry hair, I only use a sealant (non water based product), like QB Hydrating Balm.

venusd

I did my first (public) braidout last weekend. After I washed my hair, I let it air dry to slightly damp, applied Darcy's Botanicals twisting cream to each section and let it airdry completely. Once dry, that it was, I dampened a little with Jasmine's leave in spray and put some Karen's super silky and it looked great. I had a party going on in my head but it was cute:lachen:.

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love

I usually add moisturizer, twist, spritz with water. However today I'm not spritzing after moisturizing. I hope it turns out ok since I used a water-based moisturizer. :nervous2:

Vonnieluvs08

If I want really defined twistouts I do it on wet/damp hair and use a leave-in (Coco Cream, Aloeba, Shea Cream Rinse) then EVCO/Vatika frosting and either Almond glaze (but it does have wax in it) or a Butter mix I made. I also find doing 3 strand twists on wet hair give great definition for twistouts.

If I want neat twists then I do it on stretched air dry hair. I still use the same combination of products but I don't expect the twistout to last as long 2-3days at most. My wet twist outs last up to a week with minimal retwisting.

ctosha

I only do twistouts, when I do these its on damp hair initially add a leave in, darcy's or Taliah Waajid mist(haven't tried yet) then add JBCO and afroveda's curl define. All my twistouts contain a leave in and JBCO. If I do not use curl define I combine the leave in and JBCO with oyin burnt sugar, afroveda pure whipped jelly, lustrasilk shea and mango or kinky curly curling custard all on different occasions i twist not at once.

me-T

wet hair ('cause i don't feel like waitin on it to dry)
moisturize w/ a water-based leave-in, seal w/ oil or pomade(oyin burnt sugar:lick:)

30something

Braid out - (I always do this when I do braid outs ever few days)
Damp hair
Chi Keratin Leave in
Creamy leave in - HE Long term relationship
Proclaim natural 7 Olive Oil http://www.sallybeauty.com/Natural-7-Olive-Oil/SBS-631076,default,pd.html
Sometimes Chi Silk infusion for extra shine

The braid out holds up for about 3 days, I'll just re braid it on day 3. I don't use any hold lotions or sprays or w/e. I notice the tighter I make the braid the longer it holds. When its loose and slack or looks like a sloppy corn row/ braid/ plait, the style falls faster.

I also notice certain conditioners make a better defined look / hold better. But this probably varies from person to person.

Last edited:

2Cute!

For my bantu's, I have used a variety of products. Lately, I have been spritzing my hair with water only and then adding a serum before twisting.

I will say that the best knots I have ever done was when I used Wild Growth Hair Oil.

They were shiny and lasted all day.