What products do you need? Like basics??

Rikku

I mean for like hair in general ^^

I'm just wondering since I see sooo many names of products and stuff here >.< and it's very very confusing....

So far I have a rose water/glycerine/aloe vera juice mix that I use as a moisturizer - and infusium 23....as....iduno? I read somewhere it had protein in it, but I guess it is also a moisturizer?
And I have deep conditioners and use dr. bronner's shikakai soap as shampoo

Is there anything else that you need besides, deep conditioner, conditioner, shampoo and moisturizer? ^^; (for hair products I mean, not like combs/brushes and stuff to style your hair with).

;__; I'm soo confused lol I wish this site had a buddy system where we can annoy one person with all our newbie question =S lol

Tyra

I have a lot of stuff. The only things I need are:

vegetable glycerin
aloe vera gel
castor oil
distilled water
WGO
My trusted cheapie Breck conditioner.

I wish I new this before I spent loads of money over the last year.

Last edited:

ceebee3

I don't have too many products. My basics are:

Moisturizing Deep conditioner
Protein Reconstructor
Water based moisturizing leave in / Protein Leave in
Oil - coconut and olive
Serums
Moisturizing Shampoo / Protein Shampoo
Cheapy Conditioners -Herbal Essence/Suave/Aussie
Protein Treatment - Nexxus Emergencee/ Aphogee 2 Step

loolalooh

It depends on the person. I say start off with a deep conditioner, moisturizer, shampoo and see how your hair responds.

Some people also add a cheapy conditioner (i.e., for co-washing), a prepoo (i.e., condition before washing), leave-in conditioner, serum, etc.

But don't get overwhelmed; start with the first three types of products and work from there.

andromeda

Hey! I replied to your intro thread with a newbie guide - are you finding that useful?

I agree with the other ladies suggestions, start simple, "listen" to your hair and build from there. I also think that part of a strong foundation for one's healthy hair care is understanding the "why" and "how" and not just asking for the "what". While accumulating a list of basic products is useful, understanding why you need them and how they work is even more beneficial. In finding out the "why" and "how", you'll also discover that what's necessary goes beyond what's applied to the hair and starts with what you put in your body. Is your diet (and lifestyle) addressing the basic needs of your hair? IMO, this question goes hand in hand with asking what products you need.

The LHCF search function is also an invaluable tool. I think there's a newbie challenge/support thread - it might be too late to "join" but reading it might be helpful.

HTH

Last edited:
Moisturizing deep conditioner
Coconut oil
Leave-In Conditioner
Moisturizing conditioner
Light Protein conditioner
Moisturizing shampoo
Wide-toothed comb
Silk/satin scarf

Mz.MoMo5235

if my house was to burn down and all my products gone, and yall had to create a hair care package for me... what i would absolutely need for my hair to survive is:

a moisturizing sulfate poo and cond (i prefer aussie moist poo and cond)

water, infusium23 and a spray bottle

some sort of cond for a leave in (i prefer HE LTR leave in lol)

EVOO

i can make it with out the rest of my pj addictions

me-T

Is there anything else that you need besides, deep conditioner, conditioner, shampoo and moisturizer?
um...not really. those are just the basics to start from.
eventually you'll have to add chelating poo, clarifying poo, serum, oil, gel pomade, leave-in spray, porosity conditioner..............:drunk: all kinda stuff lol

Rikku

eventually you'll have to add chelating poo, clarifying poo, serum, oil, gel pomade, leave-in spray, porosity conditioner..............:drunk: all kinda stuff lol

What???? ;____;

Can I get some definitions for those things??

Also thanks for the replies everyone ^^

MarieB

I think it depends on what you're doing with your hair. Are you manipulating a lot, using heat on a regular, rollersetting, air-drying, relaxed, natural, etc? How you wear your hair on a regular sort of dictates what products you need, at least for me.

Mz.MoMo5235

i would have to disagree. these are certain things that may be beneficial, but one can go on their hair journey with out these things.

for instance, you you dont use cones or gels or other heavy products, a regular sulfate poo would be clarifying enough, so you wouldnt need a clarifier.

gels may only be needed during extreme weather cases. for example, i only use gel during monsoon season which lasts for 2 months out of the yr. of course you would adjust your gel use to suite you. and if you use aloe vera gel instead of regular gel, it washes right out.

serums, are not needed by some and used daily by others.

i'm not even sure what a pomade is so that shows you that its not required on every journey.

and if your hair doesnt have a pourosity issue, you wont need anything to balance that.

now i think oil is a must have (though i'm sure someone could disagree with that :) ) but even then, the type of oil would be debatable. some like pre-mixed oils you can buy from walmart or sally's. others love evoo. other say only evco will work.... and there's i dont even know how many other oils there are lol

my point is, dont feel pressured to keep up with the hair jones'

start with the basics. a good poo, a good cond, a good moisturizer, and some oil of your choice or budget. then, and only if your hair does not quite behave or feel quite right, then expand from there. listen to your hair and learn the signs of what's what. learn about pourus hair and what that feels and looks like. learn about protein and what too much and too little can do and feel like. then diagnose what could be wrong, ask questions, and then try things and dont give up.

but if you try to jump in the pj pool now... you'll be very frustrated and very broke.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
If I were to empty out my hair cabinents, drawers, etc, there are the basics I would need to keep:
- Clarifying Shampoo
- Moisturizing Shampoo
- Moisturizing Conditioner
- Light Protein Conditioner
- Stronger Protein Conditioner (depending on your hair) - I rarely use mine
- Leave-in with heat protectant
- Daily Moisturizer (I mix essential oils into mine)
- A light gel for those days when the bun hairs won't stay put :)

Depending on your styling methods, you may also want a serum.

ResultsMayVary

I've learned simplicity is the key to healthy hair
All I really need is:
A basic conditioner (Giovanni Smooth As Silk Deeper Moisture Conditioner )
A deep conditioner (Elasta Qp Dpr-11 Deep Penetrating Conditioner)
A moisturizer (Giovanni direct leave-in) < this also provides my protein
Shea Butter + Olive Oil

PJaye

As a fellow LHCF newbie, I would recommend the following basics:

- Clarifying/Chelating Shampoo (to remove hair product build-up and calcium/mineral deposits)
- Moisturizing Shampoo
- Moisturizing Deep Conditioner (you can add honey and oils to it to increase its moisturizing effects)
- Light to Medium Protein Conditioner (to assist in maintaining the protein-moisture balance)
- Porosity Control (to restore the hair to a more acidic level and flatten its cuticles)
- Ceramides/Lipids/Other Proteins (assistive agents that help strengthen, protect, provide elasticity and facilitate the moisture-protein balance; best if contained within the moisturizing deep conditioner)
- Leave-in Conditioner (added protection)
- Detangler (for some it’s a conditioner, for others it’s the leave-in. In either case, it is essential to unearth a method for effectively detangling your hair)
- Moisturizer (can be either water/oil based or protein/moisture based; your hair will decide which of these is best. Can be applied daily or intermittently)
- Sealant (a light oil applied to the ends of the hair that helps aid in moisture retention)
- Thermal Protectant (if necessary)

Factors such as being natural, relaxed, texlaxed, etc. as well as your personal styling preferences (air drying, blow drying, or flat ironing, wearing it straight, curly, up, down, or sideways, etc.) will dictate your decisions regarding hair products; it will also determine the constituent parts of the products used, i.e., whether they are protein or moisture based, and water or oil based. I feel that once you have mastered the basics, you can then opt to explore other additives like essential oils, growth aids, different brands of products, et al in an effort to further refine your hair regimen (at least, this is my personal methodology).

I know all of this seems overwhelming, it did to me and I am still relatively new to all of this. However, once you come to understand the functions each product serves in encouraging healthy hair, it will become much clearer. I hope that this has helped in some way.