What products do you use to keep your natural curls curly??

1lboogie

Hello ladies,

Please help me. I have naturally curly hair. Whenever I wash it, the strands clump into what looks and feels like little tight springs. I have no idea what type of hair I have. Does anyone know what hair type I fall into?

Also, I have been natural for 2.5 years. However, I have never worn my hair in it's natural state. I either get it straightened or get flexi rods (my favorite). Could anyone please suggest what products I could use, so that I can wear my hair out? For example, what can I use to get more curly? I am tired of being so dependent on a hairdresser.

I would really appreciate anyone's help!!!

honeybadgirl

i would like to know this too. i have worn my hair curly using aveda be curly but havent used that in about a yr. i used to just use conditioner, a serum and something else:confused: . i didnt really have a set line of product. it was trial and error but i would like to know what everybody else uses too. i would like better results also:grin:

frostydoll

I use Paul Mitchell Foaming Pomade most of the time but I've experimented with quite a few other products.

caligirl

I just let regular conditioner dry in my hair. It acts like a gel but leaves my hair soft.

honeybadgirl

Pokahontas said:
I use Beyond The Zone Curling Creme and a Denman brush to define the curls even more.

i just got the denman brush this weekend and i brushed my wet hair but it didnt make the curls "pop" like so many people said. am i doing something wrong:confused: ? it separated the curl but i didnt let it airdry all the way because i just didnt think the curl would be nice looking after i brushed it. most of my curls looked better as a whole(ringlets) without brushing them....i dont know...help!!:(

glamazon386

honeybadgirl said:
i just got the denman brush this weekend and i brushed my wet hair but it didnt make the curls "pop" like so many people said. am i doing something wrong:confused: ? it separated the curl but i didnt let it airdry all the way because i just didnt think the curl would be nice looking after i brushed it. most of my curls looked better as a whole(ringlets) without brushing them....i dont know...help!!:(

I didn't work for me either. My curls pop on their own. I use the blue fantasia gel or just a good leave in conditioner (cantu shea leave in). I've also tried noodlehead. It was alright... OP, what hair type are you? Do you have to scrunch your hair to make it curl up more?

Last edited:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
honeybadgirl said:
Well I can tell you what I do. On soaking wet hair I apply the noodlehead and brush it through w/ the denman. The curls just start springing up everywhere. Then I go in and define them even more by twirling small sections around my finger for a chunky look.

Did you apply some type of product before brushing? Maybe that would help.

ETA......what denman do you have?

imstush

I am still experimenting with products. But so far on my hit list is Curls whipped cream, Jamaican Mango & Lime. I still have Curls Milkshake and Boots - which I am dying to try.

ETA: I also want to try Curl Junkie

Last edited:

honeybadgirl

thanks ladies. all i put it at that time was, well really, i took just a section of my hair to test the brush out. i put some leave in conditioner in and a little damage remedy spray and i think that was it. i dont know which denman brush i have. i have seen people say they have a d-3, d-4 etc. its not a small one though. its about the size of a regular brush with bristles. all it did was separate my hair and made it stringy looking. i could tell that it was going to dry like a bush:lachen:
on one ringlet on the other side of my hair, i had brushed it and it sprung right back to the same looking pretty ringlet but nothing special was going on with it.

Last edited:

honeybadgirl

bmoreflyygirl said:
I didn't work for me either. My curls pop on their own. I use the blue fantasia gel or just a good leave in conditioner (cantu shea leave in). I've also tried noodlehead. It was alright... OP, what hair type are you? Do you have to scrunch your hair to make it curl up more?

i would say i'm a 3b-3cish. i'm not totally sure though. i know i do have different textures going on from waves to ringlets to tight corkscrews(mostly in the crown area)

Dual

I also use the curls range. i use

Curls Milkshake
Curls Quenced Moisturizer

Occasionally I use Mixed Chicks leave in conditioner as well but I mix that with Olive oil as it can leave my hair a little crispy/hard feeling, but it works all the same.

sunshinebeautiful

I've used Pantene Curl Scrunching Gel with pretty good results. What really made my curls pop was Proclaim Curl Activator Gel.

My problem with wearing curly hair is that I usually have to rewet it everyday to have it looking decent. This is a no-no for me while it is cold outside. Does everyone else have to "reset" your curls from day-to-day?

1lboogie

Dual said:

Curls Milkshake

Occasionally I use Mixed Chicks leave in conditioner as well but I mix that with Olive oil as it can leave my hair a little crispy/hard feeling, but it works all the same.

Who makes Curls Milkshake?

neenzmj

I've been natural for about two years now and I've found that NTM leave-in conditioner has done the best job of defining and smoothing my curly hair.

aminata

I really like Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue and Kinky-curly curly custard. I think these products work best on really wet hair, with a little leave-in before. I air dry or sit under a bonnet hair dryer for a few-especially during the winter.

glamazon386

sunshinebeautiful said:
I've used Pantene Curl Scrunching Gel with pretty good results. What really made my curls pop was Proclaim Curl Activator Gel.

My problem with wearing curly hair is that I usually have to rewet it everyday to have it looking decent. This is a no-no for me while it is cold outside. Does everyone else have to "reset" your curls from day-to-day?

I can usually go 2 or 3 days but yeah I have to rewet too. Or I'll have bed head.

bLackButtaFly

aminata said:
I really like Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue and Kinky-curly curly custard. I think these products work best on really wet hair, with a little leave-in before. I air dry or sit under a bonnet hair dryer for a few-especially during the winter.

I defintely like the miss jessie's products. But if you're looking for a cheaper product I like carol's daghter hair milk, for moisture, and some fantasia gel, the pink one, for hold. Honestly, the stretching of your curl without heat will only get as good as it is when it's wet, and usually, that'll shrink too. The important thing to really define curls is to give your hair lots of moisture. The more moisture the less frizz and the less frizz the more definition. If you like the way your hair looks when wet there is probably a product out there, or combination of products that will give you that look. If you are constantly straightening your hair, or curling it, and want to stretch the curl I would think about getting texlaxing or something like that because all that heat isn't to much better for it. But always baby your hair and try to feel how it's doing becasue what works for one may not work for you. Good luck!

blazingthru

Dual said:

Curls Milkshake

This is what I use to all of it plus Whipped cream well I have used it but I did not get mine yet I should in a few days I really like it. Actually I have so many products its really a shame.