What Prompted Your Hair Care Journey?

barbiesocialite

two things: 1) underprocessed relaxers and 2) I wear sew-in weaves 75% of the time and I couldnt figure out why my hair never grew past shoulder-length

also, regardless of hair length I still intend on wearing weaves (mainly bc Id rather abuse fake hair in styling than my own), however, weave installation and blending is much easier when the natural hair is strong and healthy.

BotanyGrl

Former stylist sewed in a couple of tracks to thicken my hair over the sumemr.

It was my first time with weave, and I just did whatever she said. I was 19, and she was the type of stylist that acted like she knew better than some "child".

I went to her and she gave me a relaxer with the tracks still in. Needless to say when I took them out, my hair was FUBAR.
Wow @ the stylist! It's stories like this that make me never want to frequent a hair salon. I know that majority of stylists would never give a client a relaxer who has a weave in her head, but I'm scared I will run one of the 8% who will.

SimpleKomplexity

Tired of being the kid with the messed up hair everyday!! I look better with shoudler length or longer hair, but my hair would never get to that length. When it was that length, I would always have to get it cut off because of "damage" of uneven endz...I knew there had to be a better way

ajacks

It started with postpartum shedding followed by a horrible stylist that I allowed to damage my hair w/weave which ultimately left me with severely damaged thin hair. Thankfully I found LHCF.

locabouthair

I've always had a passion for hair. But I gave up trying to grow it because i figured it would never grow.

But i got to college and lots of the black girls had long healthy hair so I like hmm, is it something in the water :lol: i got tired of being stuck at NL.

Then, i started researching black hair care online.

MizAvalon

What led me to start this journey was just wanting to have uber long hair. My hair has always been pretty healthy so that wasn't an issue.

Turns out that my problem all these years was that I was just getting it trimmed too often.:ohwell:

wheezy807

For me it was just that i wanted longer hair. One day i came oline trying to find that wanakee hair site to buy some products. So i googled something like black long hair or black haircare and found EZboard (blackhairblackbeauty). I was there for a couple of months and kept seeing ladies refer to LHCF and i decided to check it out. I lurked a few months and decided to join and the rest is history.

I was just tired of depending on stylist to tell me what was best for my hair. Also, I know my hair can grow longer than what it is now, b/c its been there before. I just wanted to figure out where I was going wrong.
I think the final straw was when my stylist told me that my hair probably wasn't retaining length because as your get older your hair stops growing as long as it did when you were younger.:perplexed 23 is old? :look: Umm k.
More knowledge, more power.

CurlyMoo

Well I always wanted long healthy natural hair. Although I desired it, I did not think that I could grow it hip length. Due to hairdresser ignorance and bad bad experiences. :nono: I still don't know if my hair will actually reach hip length but I am more determined to actually set a hair regimen.:yep: At least I will have full healthy hair.

What really made me realize that I had to put my desires into a reality was the Tyra Banks show. And a particular episode called Black Women vs. Black men where they talked about Black women and weave, body image and relationships. Tyra said she could NEVER grow her hair that long. I thought to myself, "what a defeatest attitude." Many people think that Black women cannot grow very long hair and I wanted to prove them wrong. So I searched the net and found Cathy Howse (again, because a few years ago I was not ready to make the commitment), LHCF & LHC and now I am ready.

Here is the episode of The Tyra Banks Show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaRxAk6VQ44

00:43-01:15 Is where I came in on a lunch break at work that irritated me. And then right there I knew I was going to prove Tyra wrong. Tyra you CAN grow your hair THAT long AND SO WILL I. :grin:

DivaD04

i was searching the net looking for natural hair care products. my scalp just gotten so tired of relaxers...i've came across lhcf and decided to take a look. low and behold a bunch of beautiful long hair all up and through this site :blush:! i thought wow, i know i can grow my hair...but i never kept my hair on my hair on my head long enough to grow it long b/c i love my short-short hair styles...but ladies have ya'll changed my mind! one day i've just said i want to give up relaxers and grow my hair long, my hubb loves long hair and i thought he deserves to have a wife with naturally long hair. i think if anyone wants long hair and needs the support this is the site for it. so here i am w/ a twa on my journey for long natural hair.

discodumpling

For the last 10 yrs I and all my hair dressers were clueless about why my hair was progressively getting thinner and would get to
SL and begin breaking. I was so ignorant I didn;t realize that my natural hair was an "alternative" until I went home to Antigua after a 15 yr absence.

When I went home I saw that ALL of my cousins that I had grown up with and those that came after me had LONG, strong, beautiful natural hair in all sorts of styles. They laughed at me when I touched their hair and wondered out loud if my hair would do the same thing:rolleyes:...like we ain't kin!

I want to be an example to my sons. I want them to see and appreciate beautiful natural hair in ALL textures. Trust that when my boys grow up and have children of their own...they know they basics of black hair care.
I've made my husband fall in love with the napps...and he had never seen my real hair in the 15 yrs we were together before I made my decision.

I had my last relaxer in Oct 2006 (the last time I was home). I found NP days AFTER my BC in April 07 and it's been on ever since.

vlucious

my hair journey ends when i have back the length of natural hair before i got a relaxer a couple years ago.. so id say bout SL natural hair, i was tired of relaxers, i just didnt like the way they made me feel, like everyone else w/ straight flat 'uh' hair. i loved my huge puffs. damaged hair and a yearning for natural hair was my prompt! :grin:

MizAvalon

I was just tired of depending on stylist to tell me what was best for my hair. Also, I know my hair can grow longer than what it is now, b/c its been there before. I just wanted to figure out where I was going wrong.
I think the final straw was when my stylist told me that my hair probably wasn't retaining length because as your get older your hair stops growing as long as it did when you were younger.:perplexed 23 is old? :look: Umm k.
More knowledge, more power.

Well, that can be true for older people like 60 and up but for her to say that to a 23 year old was just ridiculous.:perplexed

vestaluv1

Well I always wanted long healthy natural hair. Although I desired it, I did not think that I could grow it hip length. Due to hairdresser ignorance and bad bad experiences. :nono: I still don't know if my hair will actually reach hip length but I am more determined to actually set a hair regimen.:yep: At least I will have full healthy hair.

What really made me realize that I had to put my desires into a reality was the Tyra Banks show. And a particular episode called Black Women vs. Black men where they talked about Black women and weave, body image and relationships. Tyra said she could NEVER grow her hair that long. I thought to myself, "what a defeatest attitude." Many people think that Black women cannot grow very long hair and I wanted to prove them wrong. So I searched the net and found Cathy Howse (again, because a few years ago I was not ready to make the commitment), LHCF & LHC and now I am ready.

Here is the episode of The Tyra Banks Show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaRxAk6VQ44

00:43-01:15 Is where I came in on a lunch break at work that irritated me. And then right there I knew I was going to prove Tyra wrong. Tyra you CAN grow your hair THAT long AND SO WILL I. :grin:

Hmm, some interesting comments there from the guys :ohwell:. Tyra with the my hair will never be that long comment...:nono:...this is what I mean about 'weave reliance'. This is one thing that made me want to grow my hair longer...and now I know I can.
I realised she was pointing to the floor when she said 'my hair will never be down to here', so slight exaggeration, but I think she might fuelled the myth that 'kinky' hair can not or does not usually grow long :nono:.

Lavendar

Hair coming out by the handfuls and no edges due to highlights and relaxer not being properly neutralized by a stylist.:nono:

Simply_Kelz

When I left Philly last summer and a stylist in NC underprocessed me .. and left my hair greasy but dry and breaking.

I searched online for ways to do my own hair and discovered MacherieAmour youtubes videos ..

which led to Wanakees site and LHCF.

And I think Wanakee said something like .. "everytime you get a touch-up, your hair is growing you should see some progress" and it was like a lightbulb went off in my head.

Which brought me back to LHCF.

LivingDoll

Um, let me see...:look:

Okay...well...I have always been blessed to be able to grow my hair out (but the longest I've ever had was probably somewhere between APL/BSL). I've gone back and forth with wearing short hair, growing it out to APL, cutting it off again, etc.

For me, hair is emotional. I find that when I am happiest, my hair is longest. When I've gone through emotional turmoil, my hair suffers the consequences. I always cut my hair after break-ups (I can finally look back and realize this). My last relationship, my "friend" (for lack of saying SO) loved short hair, so I kept it short for him, not for me.

After being single for a year and a half, I'm finally happy again and I've started my long hair care journey again. I've always wanted to find a resolution for my dandruff/product buildup/dry scalp and that's also attributed to my journey.

Now that I'm able to see my patterns with my hair, I'm confident that I won't snip again when a relationship goes south.

mrsjohnson75

My hair was jacked up and I just thought it is what it is. Then I had a daughter and I knew that I didn't want her hair to be like mine so I started looking for a better way......I found LHCF....It was a godsend!:grin:

civic4800

My journey was prompted 3 months ago, after going to my stylist 1/week for the past 5 years, my hair started breaking around the crown, nape about 6 months ago. After pointing this out to my stylist on several different occasions, no solutions/suggestions were given to me. I felt that while I'd made tremendous hair progress under her(no blowdrying, strictly rollersets), I couldn't continue to pay for breakage! After searching the internet, I wound up on lhcf and quickly realized the 1st rule of thumb is moisture, moisture, moisture and that I hadn't had a deep condition in 5 years:nono:!! After reading all of the info here, I just couldn't continue to go to her weekly and have been trying to incorporate all that I've learned here into my haircare plan. The only thing is that my rollersets look so awful that sometimes I want to give in and schedule an appointment with her!

SelfStyled

It started with postpartum shedding followed by a horrible stylist that I allowed to damage my hair w/weave which ultimately left me with severely damaged thin hair. Thankfully I found LHCF.
This is my exact hairstory. Except I relied on the weaves for a few years until my hair was so thin, it couldn't even cover the weave tracks. This is so sad, but I was googling how to blend weave hair and discovered BHM, I weaved for about 2 months while learning all I could about growth. I have been weave free since and shortly after that I found this site.

vestaluv1

My journey was prompted 3 months ago, after going to my stylist 1/week for the past 5 years, my hair started breaking around the crown, nape about 6 months ago. After pointing this out to my stylist on several different occasions, no solutions/suggestions were given to me. I felt that while I'd made tremendous hair progress under her(no blowdrying, strictly rollersets), I couldn't continue to pay for breakage! After searching the internet, I wound up on lhcf and quickly realized the 1st rule of thumb is moisture, moisture, moisture and that I hadn't had a deep condition in 5 years:nono:!! After reading all of the info here, I just couldn't continue to go to her weekly and have been trying to incorporate all that I've learned here into my haircare plan. The only thing is that my rollersets look so awful that sometimes I want to give in and schedule an appointment with her!

Em, *COUGH, COUGH*...Don't worry, I had not deep conditioned my hair ever in my life up until March this year :look:.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
My hair was jacked up and I just thought it is what it is. Then I had a daughter and I knew that I didn't want her hair to be like mine so I started looking for a better way......I found LHCF....It was a godsend!:grin:
The bolded led me here too. I took DD to the salon at her request for her 5th BDay. I was so disappointed with the way her hair was cared for that I came home and googled a product my mother used on me when I was little. LHCF popped up and I joined a week later. I was always into hair, but had become dependent on my stylist and had no idea how to get past SL and really didn't think it was possible. Now it's not some far fetched notion, it's a plan.

lurkersincejan

I stumbled upon this site looking for a cure to my damaged hair, something went wrong after I apply a semi perm color and just not being knowledgeable about my hair care period. It turn into more than just a quick fix and me wanting to continue the journey in having healthy hair. Glad I found it :yep::yep:

audacity.

I had "buyers" remorse after a hair cut that I wanted and was looking for ways to grow my hair back quickly...and the rest is history...

skyborn09

I would see girls with long hair and i wanted some too. So I went on my quest and still am for healthy long midback hair by Dec 08:grin: