What role does oil play in moisturizing your hair?

Glib Gurl

I know you seal with it . . . but does it have any moisturizing properties?
Does it depend on the type of oil maybe?

I feel like I'm spending a grip on all these different types of oils . . . but if they're not really moisturizing my hair (just sealing the moisture) then I'm like, "What am I doing???"

Not sure if this makes much sense, but I'd appreciate any feedback.

Oil can be moisturizing and penetrate the hair shaft it just depends on the type of oil

Sent from my HTC Glacier using HTC Glacier

Oil can be moisturizing and penetrate the hair shaft it just depends on the type of oil

Sent from my HTC Glacier using HTC Glacier

Which oils do you find that "moisturize"?

To OP, you've been around long enough to see the ongoing debate on whether oils moisturize or not :lachen:. In my opinion I don't think they do. But they do play a critical role in conditioning. If you need moisture try water...its the ultimate moisturizer...then comes your water based leave in's and such....

The oils that seem to "moisturize" my hair are jojoba and apricot. Perhaps they can give you the feel you're looking for :yep: :lick:

Also, just because they penetrate the hair shaft doesn't mean it's providing moisture...I think penetration = better conditioning qualities.

Last edited:
To OP, you've been around long enough to see the ongoing debate on whether oils moisturize or not :lachen:.

Actually I spend the least amount of time in the hair part of the board :look: But I will never forget - the thing that brought me to LHCF was that I couldn't understand why my hair was still "dry" and brittle even though I'd drenched it in olive oil (my grandmother's sure-thing hair remedy). Everyone kept telling me it was only good for sealing purposes . . . .

I'm tinkering with my regimen so I am trying to pop in here more often!

I don't use the word moisturize regarding my hair. I lubricate my hair with oils. They are my only leave ins. I use coconut oil or an oil mix after I wash my hair and throughout the week I lubricate my hair with more oil to create a barrier on my strands and protect from the environment or fabric. The only time my hair needs water is when I need to manipulate my hair into an entirely different style. If you don't think your hair is benefitting from oils, then stop using it. No harm done if it's not helping to begin with.

Actually I spend the least amount of time in the hair part of the board :look: But I will never forget - the thing that brought me to LHCF was that I couldn't understand why my hair was still "dry" and brittle even though I'd drenched it in olive oil (my grandmother's sure-thing hair remedy). Everyone kept telling me it was only good for sealing purposes . . . .

I'm tinkering with my regimen so I am trying to pop in here more often!

Same exact thing that brought me here :yep:.

My oils are multipurpse. That way if they don't work for their intended purpose, I can always use them for something else.

Can oils moisturise hair?

This depends on your definition of moisturise. If your regard it in the strict sense of amount of water content, then no oil is for you as oil films do slow water uptake. If you regard it as a substance that can penetrate the cortex of hair and contribute to pliability (meaning hair can move without feeling stiff) and manageability then coconut oil is for you.

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/07/reader-questions-coconut-oil-and.html

It conditions my hair. It does not moisturize it. keyawarren explained it perfectly.

u know I wanted to ask the same question, the only oil i use is camellia oil, and I read it contribute to hair growth, so I use it on my scalp or mix it with my ovation cell therapy, that's the only oil I use.

I think a few oils 'moisturise' either because they actually penetrate the hair OR act as humectants e.g EVOO, coconut, avocado

I primarily use Oil to Lock in Moisture from my Water Based Moisturizers or Hair Creams and to Seal Ends.

Oh yeah, and for Hot Oil Treatments and things like that.

I find that Vatika oil makes my hair feel moisturized to a certain extent. I know it's not actually moisturizing but I can apply this oil alone (no moisturizer) and my hair feels soft after as opposed to straight oily

I can't say b/c the products I use have oil in them and my hair work just fine.. So I guess it depends b/c I don't use coconut oil or any kind that ladies rave about but some of my staple products that I use have mineral oil in them which use for various purposes..

I believe oils seal in moisture and condition hair. That being said all oils don't perform the same so it make take awhile to find oils that give each person the optimum results they may be looking for.

Back