Moisturizing Conundrum

OK, I have a few issues about moisturizing that need clarification.
Firstly, since butters/honeys/glycerine moisturize but oils seal in moisture, but don't moisturize per se, then what is the net effect of mixing oils into your butters/honeys/glycerine?

Next, if I apply a moisturizer to my hair and seal with oil and don't wash the next day, isn't applying moisturizer moot since it won't get in b/c the hair is sealed with the oil?

And, Vaseline....Great for sealing in whatever you have, but wouldn't it have the same effect? The moisture would be "locked in' till your next wash? Also, wouldn't you have to clarify after using it, which would be harsh on your hair so wouldnt' that defeate the purpose?

HoneyDew

bump!

These are all good questions, but I don't know thw answers.

I don't use any moisturizer, per se, but I do use expellar pressed natural oils on my hair only.

I shampoo and deep condition twice a week and I flat iron with silicone. On the other days, I just put oil on my hair and my hair is never dry or weighted down or breaking.

I never understand all the layering and mega moisturizing suggestions, but I guess it depends on the hair styles too.

MeechUK

MeechUK
anatomicallycorrect said:
OK, I have a few issues about moisturizing that need clarification.
Firstly, since butters/honeys/glycerine moisturize but oils seal in moisture, but don't moisturize per se, then what is the net effect of mixing oils into your butters/honeys/glycerine?

1) Butters and natural oils do moisturise your hair, they penetrate your actual hair strands; Honey and glycerin are humectants and attract moisture in the air; I would use butters and natural oils daily to moisture and add honey and glycerin to after shampoo conditioners, to make leave your hair softer, stronger and healthier.

Next, if I apply a moisturizer to my hair and seal with oil and don't wash the next day, isn't applying moisturizer moot since it won't get in b/c the hair is sealed with the oil?

2) No if your hair has the correct amount of moisture you should not need to apply a moisturiser because your hair should have enough. You would only apply a moisturiser if your hair feels dry.

And, Vaseline....Great for sealing in whatever you have, but wouldn't it have the same effect? The moisture would be "locked in' till your next wash? Also, wouldn't you have to clarify after using it, which would be harsh on your hair so wouldnt' that defeate the purpose?

3) Personally I would not use vaseline because it sits on your hair, your hair would feel dry and greasy, lacking moisture. You definitely would need to clarify to remove the vaseline.

HTH,
MeechUK