What the Hairs In Your Ponytail Are Trying to Tell You

Dwayne

With this being 'SPRING' and all, I figured I'd give you something to think about b4 you do that hassle free ponytail! Wanted to share some info with all those interested. Let me know your thoughts...:grin:

STOP! Step away from the elastic band! Before you place the hairs on your hair into a strangle hold (ponytail) there are a few things you need to consider…

The ‘PURPOSE’ of the ponytail

Have you ever really thought about why time and time again you put your hair up in a ponytail? Well…I know most of the time it’s a matter of convenience…but simply put, the real reason you put your hair up is to get it out of your face!

The strength of your hair

One big issue people overlook on a regular basis is how strong or weak, it is. If you are a person that wears relaxers, and ponytails on a regular basis, you may experience breakage issues, and be clueless as to why your hair keeps breaking. Let me see if I can help you out here. One reason may be because your hair may not be as strong as it once was (like… when you had no chemicals). The more chemical services you have preformed, the weaker your hair can get. If done incorrectly (meaning by a non professional or at home) far more damage can occur than normal.If you have a dual chemical service (relaxer and color/highlights) and you wear ponytails on a regular basis, over time I’m sure you’ve noticed that ponytail getting thinner and thinner!

The hairs involved

If the hairs on your head could talk, then chances are they would let you know a thing or two. Let me give you an idea of what they might say.
The hairs on your front hairline speak:
“Hey…why in the world do you keep pulling us back as tight as you can, slicking us down, and smothering us until we can’t breathe, with the newest “firm hold “ gel on the market? Maybe you really are clueless…if so you really need to listen up! We are the weakest hairs on your head! So all of that pulling, tugging and tension you put on us, not only weakens us but can lead to breakage and hair loss as well.”

The hairs in the back of your head speak:

“Have you ever really thought about your weapon of choice when you choke the mess out of those innocent hairs trapped behind that rubber band, scrunchie or that elastic band? If you haven’t noticed, those poor guys caught underneath ‘that device’ you use to put them into a ‘submission hold’ (rubber bands, elastic bands, scrunchies) will start breaking off where the ‘band’ and the hair come in contact with one another. If you want to know if this applies to you, it’s simple. Take the hairs on your head and act like you are about to place them in a ponytail. At the point where you would wrap a band around your hair, check to see if you have breakage around those hairs ( the ones that you would have placed that band directly over). If so, then you need to quickly go into defense mode.”

Ok…so now what?

So now that you just got some great feedback from those ‘directly affected’ it’s time you to start applying this information. Use your ponytail as a way to get the hairs out of your face. If you pull your hairs tight, strain them and slick them down with gel, then long term damage will manifest itself in the form of weak hair, breakage and hair loss.If at all possible avoid gelling your hair down, and pulling it as tight as possible for your ponytail.By simply replacing your “band” (elastic or rubber) with a plastic clip you will see a huge difference between the amount of breakage and weakening of your hair as it starts to grow out. So avoid rubber bands, elastic bands and scrunchies at all costs. Thank you for taking the time out to review this information, listening to the different perspectives of ‘those involved’ and applying what you’ve learned.

FindingMe

Thanks! I've started using clips and looser hair accessories to put my hair up for these very reasons...:yep: I also like the relaxed look of my hair when it's not stretched so tight.

prospurr4

Very interesting!:scratchch Thanks for the information. I never use elastics, rubberbands or even scrunchies because I don't want breakage. I thought I was maybe being paranoid...but maybe not.

Last edited:

Dwayne

NP,

I dig that look too! I hate when I see women that wear their ponytails soooo tight that they can't even blink right :lachen: JK, Seriously, I've seen it work wonders for correcting breakage in those areas and helping women grow hair past a 'certain lenght'. Sounds like it's working for you FindingMe take care,

Dwayne

Mandy4610

With this being 'SPRING' and all, I figured I'd give you something to think about b4 you do that hassle free ponytail! Wanted to share some info with all those interested. Let me know your thoughts...:grin:

STOP! Step away from the elastic band! Before you place the hairs on your hair into a strangle hold (ponytail) there are a few things you need to consider…

The ‘PURPOSE’ of the ponytail

Have you ever really thought about why time and time again you put your hair up in a ponytail? Well…I know most of the time it’s a matter of convenience…but simply put, the real reason you put your hair up is to get it out of your face!

The strength of your hair

One big issue people overlook on a regular basis is how strong or weak, it is. If you are a person that wears relaxers, and ponytails on a regular basis, you may experience breakage issues, and be clueless as to why your hair keeps breaking. Let me see if I can help you out here. One reason may be because your hair may not be as strong as it once was (like… when you had no chemicals). The more chemical services you have preformed, the weaker your hair can get. If done incorrectly (meaning by a non professional or at home) far more damage can occur than normal.If you have a dual chemical service (relaxer and color/highlights) and you wear ponytails on a regular basis, over time I’m sure you’ve noticed that ponytail getting thinner and thinner!

The hairs involved

If the hairs on your head could talk, then chances are they would let you know a thing or two. Let me give you an idea of what they might say.
The hairs on your front hairline speak:
“Hey…why in the world do you keep pulling us back as tight as you can, slicking us down, and smothering us until we can’t breathe, with the newest “firm hold “ gel on the market? Maybe you really are clueless…if so you really need to listen up! We are the weakest hairs on your head! So all of that pulling, tugging and tension you put on us, not only weakens us but can lead to breakage and hair loss as well.”

The hairs in the back of your head speak:

“Have you ever really thought about your weapon of choice when you choke the mess out of those innocent hairs trapped behind that rubber band, scrunchie or that elastic band? If you haven’t noticed, those poor guys caught underneath ‘that device’ you use to put them into a ‘submission hold’ (rubber bands, elastic bands, scrunchies) will start breaking off where the ‘band’ and the hair come in contact with one another. If you want to know if this applies to you, it’s simple. Take the hairs on your head and act like you are about to place them in a ponytail. At the point where you would wrap a band around your hair, check to see if you have breakage around those hairs ( the ones that you would have placed that band directly over). If so, then you need to quickly go into defense mode.”

Ok…so now what?

So now that you just got some great feedback from those ‘directly affected’ it’s time you to start applying this information. Use your ponytail as a way to get the hairs out of your face. If you pull your hairs tight, strain them and slick them down with gel, then long term damage will manifest itself in the form of weak hair, breakage and hair loss.If at all possible avoid gelling your hair down, and pulling it as tight as possible for your ponytail.By simply replacing your “band” (elastic or rubber) with a plastic clip you will see a huge difference between the amount of breakage and weakening of your hair as it starts to grow out. So avoid rubber bands, elastic bands and scrunchies at all costs. Thank you for taking the time out to review this information, listening to the different perspectives of ‘those involved’ and applying what you’ve learned.
Are you a professional stylist?

daniemoy

I really needed to read this because, I was thinking about my nape yesturday and the damage my ponytail is doing.

FindingMe

NP,

I dig that look too! I hate when I see women that wear their ponytails soooo tight that they can't even blink right :lachen: JK, Seriously, I've seen it work wonders for correcting breakage in those areas and helping women grow hair past a 'certain lenght'. Sounds like it's working for you FindingMe take care,

Dwayne

You are SO right! I know this from experience. :yep: I grew my hair out last year from between chin and shoulder length to a 2 couple of inches above APL by bunning everyday. Problem was, I have courser hair in my crown than the rest of my head, so it was breaking off right at the crown where I was putting the elastic band. :ohwell: I ended up getting long layers to camoflauge and have since grown most of them out and am taking better care of my hair there. It is growing right along with the rest of my hair now...:grin: I threw those bands away...and don't be fooled-even the ones that are "Ouchless" and "no snag or pulling" cause the same issues 'cause that's what I was using thinking I was using something good for my hair...:nono:

charmtreese

Ive stopped wearing ponytails all together. My protective style of chose is a loose bun that is held up by 2 hair pins. If I ever decide to wear a ponytail I will make sure its tension free. Thanks for the advice!

SpiritJunkie

very great advice. i actually pledged to myself that i will not wear as many ponytails anymore because i have noticed a little breakage...

Dwayne

Thanks for the feedback ladies. Hope my threads help you out. I'm livin in the sunshine state and I expect to see ALOT of ponytails real soon (I think the weather just broke, and spring has offically sprung, but we'll see)

God Bless,
Dwayne

NOEChic

I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong.
well im natural and in the military, so i HAVE to wear my hair on ponytail, what should i use?

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Thanks for taking the time out to read it, and I hope it helps you out,

Dwayne

Thanks Dwayne and :welcome4:!
I put away my covered elastics too. I just pin my hair up with Good Days Hair Pins. What other good advice do you have? My best friend is a hair stylist and his care and advice has kept my hair on my head all these years.

vestaluv1

Yep. Unfortunately I had to learn from experience. But now I've gone to the other extreme now and I don't wear any sort of hairbands or scrunchies, etc. I only pin my hair up now.:rolleyes:

ChelzBoo

:blush:i needa stop wearin pony tails. they are soo convenient tho. but i clearly dont want any breakage.
idk what other styles i could do and still get a somewhat polished look:ohwell:

Christina Dior

well im natural and in the military, so i HAVE to wear my hair on ponytail, what should i use?
Girl im in the mil to but im relaxed but look texlax to i cowash daily then pin my hair up with bobby pins and put my silk scarf on to flatten out my hair i cant do buns like most mil chicks so they are annoying as hell no matter how loose i try them i feel as if my hair is breaking:nono:

blkbeauty

Its funny but 90% of the time I wear pony tails. Even as a natural I had received breakage in certain areas. Now, when I wear my pony, I try to wear it very loose.

infojunkie

:blush:i needa stop wearin pony tails. they are soo convenient tho. but i clearly dont want any breakage.
idk what other styles i could do and still get a somewhat polished look:ohwell:

This is such a distressing post. I love me some ponytails, esp. this time of year. But I like the sleek, polished looking ones and was all set to wear them for the duration of the summer and into fall.

(In Houston fall is a long way off.)

I guess I'll be spending the weekend coming up with alternative styles.

...and yes, unfortunately, I do have some breakeage in my temple area. :sad:

imstush

Thanks for your informative post. I keep learning the hard way. I always throw out the elastics and go right back to them. I will try to just use the banana clips and plastic claws. I do have ponytail damage.