What the Korean lady said to me today

sweetcashew

Your hair is beautiful. Really, I rarely see someone with beautiful, healthy and long hair....most have only one or two of those qualities...lol. Some have long hair but it doesn't look healthy...(dry looking, rough ends, just bad looking). Some have beautiful hair but it may be very short and some have healthy hair but they don't do anything with it. So yeah, white, black , Korean or whatever...Your hair --with all three qualities---is not common...lol.
That woman is in the business of selling hair and most of the hair she sales is probably to black women looking to have hair that looks like YOUR real hair. So it's no surprise that she (the Korean lady) may believe--in her ignorance--that no black women with such beautiful, long and healthy that is ALL of their own..exist.

Take it as a compliment. Some just don't know any better....:nono:.

Now my head is officially swollen.:yep: Thanks! I just thought it was funny. She was a really pleasant woman.

JamericanGurl

At the BSS today, a Korean woman leaned over and touched my hair. She grabbed a fist full and tugged it a little, then she ran her fingers up and down it.:ohwell: Then she rubbed it between her fingertips and said "Nice! great quality and so soft. What brand is it?" :grin:

Just had to share. And no I didn't give her a beat down.:look:
There's another member that gets asked the same thing quite often by Koreans...It's funny as hell to me? She says damn girl they asked me that ish again:lachen: It's mind boggling to them that one of us don't require weeeve & goo...aka...weave & glue.:lachen:

trini_rican

She told the truth, your hair is Gorgeous. I don't care for the hair touching but I like that you were polite. As someone else said you can go back and ask her to allow you to sell some of your hair oils next to the cash register and offer her 5% of sales profits or whatever you deem to be fair as incentive. It's a great idea and could get your product out there in a big way, I'd put a photo of your hair somewhere on the packaging though or on the display that holds the products - it's your hair that's going to make people buy. Good luck on that.

lisana

You response was so great :)Your hair is so gorgeous, i can understand why so many would think its fake. You really have the kind of hair women of EVERY ethnicity/race would want :yep:

the_UnPrettiest_pretty

Beauty IS skin deep.
I would have told her "It's my brand dammit, au natural, courtesy of sweetcashew. Now take your dirty ol' mitts off of my hair or get slapped":lachen:

I'm just being retarded. But seriously, you handled that well, even though she was rude as all get out. You truly have some of the most beautiful hair I have ever seen and I can understand why a lot of people would think your hair is fake.............it's just surreal!!! Unbelieveably amazing:yep:

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I wish I could get away with running my fingers through your hair hoping that it may rub off on my hair!!!!:grin:

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
At the BSS today, a Korean woman leaned over and touched my hair. She grabbed a fist full and tugged it a little, then she ran her fingers up and down it.:ohwell: Then she rubbed it between her fingertips and said "Nice! great quality and so soft. What brand is it?" :grin:

You should have responded to "great quality" with it's the quality I was born with

AND

"What brand is it?" It's whatever brand God gave me when He made me!

envybeauty

Y'all tripping....y'all know plenty of sistas on here just licking their chops to get that kinda compliment.

They just wish someone would ...............:lachen:

Energee

Now my head is officially swollen.:yep: Thanks! I just thought it was funny. She was a really pleasant woman.

LOL...I was just showing my mother your hair! She's here visiting with us for 2 weeks and she thinks your hair is amazing. Lot's of beautiful hair in our family--including my mother's and she's still amazed by yours. So you can have a big head.....LOL:yep:.

Barbara

Princess
There is a popular myth that African American hair will not grow. That's why it’s prevalent to see beauty supply stores in African American neighborhoods saturated with floor to ceiling, wall to wall hair weaves, extensions, wigs, etc., especially in beauty supply stores owned by Asians. The majority of their customers are African Americans, so what else are they suppose to believe? We as a whole were never taught how to take care of our hair. Thank God for hair salons, because my hair would never receive compliments from friends, workmates, relatives and strangers. Years later, I learned about Wanakee Verifen Complex products and realized that a lot of things I was doing was beneficial to my hair—even though I wasn’t aware of it. I applied new techniques that Wanakee recommended; then it really took off to the surprise of my stylist. My stylist doesn’t recommend daily washing for African Americans. He feels that once a week is fine, though, because he said years ago: “Our hair is too fragile, and it is the weakest of all nationalities. African American women as a whole don’t know how to take care of their hair.” Incidentally, his customers have the longest hair than any of the other customers in the salon.

The Asians that I work with and the ones in my beauty salon know that some of us don't need to add hair to our head to make it long. They are astonished to see our hair gradually grow to bra clasp or waist length. I have even had my hair washed and detangled by my Vietnamese manicurist several times when my stylist gets backed up. So some of them know, but even Whites say the same thing: “African American hair just don’t grow.” This is what they were taught.

Last edited:

Isis

There is a popular myth that African American hair will not grow. That's why it’s prevalent to see beauty supply stores in African American neighborhoods saturated with floor to ceiling, wall to wall hair weaves, extensions, wigs, etc., especially in beauty supply stores owned by Asians. The majority of their customers are African Americans, so what else are they suppose to believe? We as a whole were never taught how to take care of our hair. Thank God for hair salons, because my hair would never receive compliments from friends, workmates, relatives and strangers. Years later, I learned about Wanakee Verifen Complex products and realized that a lot of things I was doing was beneficial to my hair—even though I wasn’t aware of it. I applied new techniques that Wanakee recommended; then it really took off to the surprise of my stylist. My stylist doesn’t recommend daily washing for African Americans. He feels that once a week is fine, though, because he said yeas ago: “Our hair is too fragile, and it is the weakest of all nationalities. African American women as a whole don’t know how to take care of their hair.” Incidentally, his customers have the longest hair than any of the other customers in the salon.

The Asians that I work with and the ones in my beauty salon know that some of us don't need to add hair to our head to make it long. They are astonished to see our hair gradually grow to bra clasp or waist length. I have even had my hair washed and detangled by my Vietnamese manicurist several times when my stylist gets backed up. So some of them know, but even Whites say the same thing: “African American hair just don’t grow.” This is what they were taught.
This is a good post. :up:

Doesn't it feel good to be one of the growing number of people teaching other races the truth, by example?! That's part of why I appreciate LHCF and all I have learned.

Yellowflowers

OH NO SHE DIDN'T. Probably wanted to know what brand so she could order it and sell it.

Wonder what went thru her mind when she found out it was real. I wish there was a way this could have been taped.:lachen:

Last edited:

rosie

I hear you. I walked around the store for a while and didn't buy anything but some conditioning caps. I just keep reading products and putting in back down. They're not appealing to me anymore.
At least they compliment you. You do have beautiful hair.

Now you know with that gorgeous hair of yours, you had people following you around to see what you were looking at. :lachen:Probably a dozen people bought every product that you picked up that day.

Hek, the Korean lady probably moved them up to the register counter and has been pushing them as the new growth products.

sweetcashew

I've stopped being nasty to people who want to touch my hair. I used to get so mad before but I guess I just gave up.

Funny thing is, just minutes before that woman touched my hair, a man selling hair pomade on the street told me I need to buy his stuff so I won't have to wear that ridiculous weave(his words exactly). Yep, insulting me while trying to sell me stuff and get my number :grin:

imstush

I've stopped being nasty to people who want to touch my hair. I used to get so mad before but I guess I just gave up.

Funny thing is, just minutes before that woman touched my hair, a man selling hair pomade on the street told me I need to buy his stuff so I won't have to wear that ridiculous weave(his words exactly). Yep, insulting me while trying to sell me stuff and get my number :grin:

:blush:
I can't believe how brazen people are. My biggest issue is with this and the Korean lady...and not to make it a race issue/thread, but would these same people have the gall to run their hands and tug a white woman's hair? And we all know many of them wear "pieces".

Energee

OMG..now that was TRULY rude! Ignorant and rude...was he a black man??:rolleyes: *SMH

sweetcashew

:blush:
I can't believe how brazen people are. My biggest issue is with this and the Korean lady...and not to make it a race issue/thread, but would these same people have the gall to run their hands and tug a white woman's hair? And we all know many of them wear "pieces".

You're right about that. I guess it's because they see it so much. I was downtown Brooklyn so you know no matter what time of the day you go to the BSS there are always black women buying weaves.

I thought that was funny.

I would have also taken it as a compliment too :yep:

Hopefully times will change enough so that she will know that Black women can have long hair too NATURAL hair too.

pazyamor

I can't blame her, your hair is sooo beautiful. I am in awe, I would kill for hair like that! But on the real, I would have leaned over, inspected hers and asked her the same question!:lachen:

2Cute!

Sweetcashew, I admire the way you handle these types of situations. Your hair is gorgeous, so it is a conversation piece.

I remember once someone asking me who did my quick weave. It happens a lot more when I dye it oriental black.

BrooklynSouth

Sweetcashew...you are truly sweet!! Handle situations well..Kudos to your calm nature. I love the idea of returning the "favor" by 10 fingering right back!!!:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

***Toy-Pisces***

Ummm... She did a little to much! You are good b/c I wish someone would touch my hair! That doesn't mean I would put my hands on her/him tho! (Well it depends on what mood I'm in that day!)

This idiot did something similar at work talking about is that your hair??? He was all up in my head. I was like why are you concerned??? Is your girl friend looking jacked up??? Are you trying to help b/c she look like a HAM???
I told him if he touch my hair one more time I was going to hit him!!!!!!(It wasn't my hair tho:lachen::look:)

Last edited: