What to do? Grow longer arms???

naturalmanenyc

Ladies who are BSL and rollerset, how do you do it?

I just realized tonight after doing a rollerset that if my hair gets much longer, I will need longer arms to do my own sets. I have some APL length (a few strands almost at BSL) and then layers. How in the world am I to rollerset on my own once my hair gets longer?

ravenmerlita

Here's one way to do it: hold the roller mid-way up the length of the hair section with one hand, with the other hand wind the hair from the end around the roller and then roll down to the scalp.

Hopefully that makes sense. It's hard to explain without a visual.

Evazhair

You just have to take your time,work carefully , have water to rewet sections and bring the back length around to your sides/front then have to be careful not to retangle it up once you bring the section back around.(if that makes sense). You will feel what ways are easiest for you as your hair gets longer.Clipping any hair away that I am not working on is also a must for me.

prospurr4

Here's one way to do it: hold the roller mid-way up the length of the hair section with one hand, with the other hand wind the hair from the end around the roller and then roll down to the scalp.

Exactly! This is what I had to start doing because my arms are only so long.:drunk:

inthepink

I'm going to have to try that. Right now, I just part my hair down the middle b/c my arms weren't long enough but I want to experiment with the mohawk method, too.

naturalmanenyc

Thanks ladies. I guess practice is going to do the trick. I had a difficult time with a few rollers tonight but it turned out pretty well. Anything is better than sleeping in magnetic rollers for one more night.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
This is why i do my ponytail rollersets. I just can't reach back that far, lol. My hair is very curly and between trying to stretch back there and keep the curls smooth and taut on the roller it was too much strain on my arms.

shtow

Lately I have not been using the mohawk method. I have always parted my hair in 4 sections, no matter what I do to my hair. So now I part my hair in 4 sections and set the rollers in horizontally and roll up one section at a time. I finish in half the time this way in comparison to the mohak. I think the reason why people do the mohak is because there is more space under the dryer.

Allandra

This is what I've been doing for a while since my hair is waist length. It works well for me. I just hold the roller up as high as I can get it, then I wind the hair around.

Traycee

Ladies who are BSL and rollerset, how do you do it?

I just realized tonight after doing a rollerset that if my hair gets much longer, I will need longer arms to do my own sets. I have some APL length (a few strands almost at BSL) and then layers. How in the world am I to rollerset on my own once my hair gets longer?

Thanks......
I needed this thread...I did one and only one rollerset and It took for ever and my arms hurt so bad....Loved how it turned out but, it made me make up my mind right then that this was going to be a special occasion type of thing or a alternative for blow drying and flat-ironing at the Salon. But now :clap:I think I will try Pokahontas Ponytail Rollerset!!!

PureSilver

I think my hair is APL, i will know as soon as i relax tomorrow, but gir l i've wondered the same thing. If i'm have a lil trouble now, how in the world will i manage wheN i reach BSL

naturalmanenyc

This is why i do my ponytail rollersets. I just can't reach back that far, lol. My hair is very curly and between trying to stretch back there and keep the curls smooth and taut on the roller it was too much strain on my arms.

Good tip.
I tried the ponytail set this month. I had no dryer so it did not come out all that well and I had little crinkles from the ponytail holders. I need to try this method again now that I have a dryer.

Eisani

This is very helpful. I think I'm going to try the 4 sections next time instead of the mohawk because once I get the to middle and back, my arms get so tired trying to wrap my hair around the roller! For those who do ponytail sets, how do you keep your hair from waving up? I don't think I could ever pull my hair tight enough to keep it from busting waves.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Good tip.
I tried the ponytail set this month. I had no dryer so it did not come out all that well and I had little crinkles from the ponytail holders. I need to try this method again now that I have a dryer.

Yeah, I get crinkles too but it dosen't matter much because I brush out the curls anyway. If I brush out the curls and put m y hair back in a ponytail with a scarf or wrap it that takes care of the curls completely. The ponytails really get the roots straight and with regular sets my roots are curlier.

ajoyfuljoy

I hope to have this problem one day! But I have wondered that also. I've tried to guestimate and I think I might have to do creative rollersets in a year or so.

Isis

Good tip.
If I do a ponytail method (which I learned shortly after discovering LHCF), I get the crinkles but I would braid my hair for a braidout and it blended right in. Also, wearing a silk or satin scarf after removing the ponytail holders for about 30 minutes or so, smoothes out the crinkles.