What to do if you are allergic to hair

gymfreak336

I would love to get braids or a nice weave but I am allergic to the chemicals in hair. Even after cleansing the hair with shampoo and acv, my scalp still can't stand it. If I have braids, even for just a week, my scalp starts dropping hair like crazy and my scalp stays sore and red for weeks. I would like to get braids or a weave but I don't think I will ever be able to do it. There is a lady here that does really nice weaves but she orders all of her hair. She doesn't think a product is really "professional" if you can go to the store and get the same things she uses. The hair I would have to get to avoid my allergy problem from her will cost 300 bucks. I really don't want to have to spend that on hair and then have to pay for the work. Any ideas?

JustKiya

Have you considered yarn twists? You don't have to use hair - and the yarn is a heckkkkk of a lot cheaper than 300 bones a pop!!!
And how is she so sure that you won't be allergic to THAT hair too? I'd hate for you to spend all that, and find out it STILL makes you breakout.

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
I have s similar problem, but my reaction was not as severe as yours, gymfreak. My scalp just kind of went crazy and itchy and started flaking like some kind of contact dermatitis. I didn’t last 3 days the last time I put in braids! :( The weird thing is I can wear phony ponies with no problem, so I think it may indeed be certain types of hair that causes the problem. :perplexed

I agree, nappywomyn, that yarn is a good alternative. :yep: My cousin had yarn twists before she started locing her hair, and they looked really nice.

mscounselor

OMG! I was just posting on this...maybe I have the contact dermatitis as well. It even stayed after the ACV rinse. Im glad I read around...Im going to researc yarn braids.