What to put on your ENDS....PLEASE HELP!!!!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I am confused about something else...what to put on your ends to protect them from dryness, frizziness, and breakage:

1. oils?
2. lotions?
3. vaseline?
4. water?
5. conditioner?
6. Other suggestions?

How often should ends be moisturized? Please help!
confused.gif

sweetie you can use any of the above, seperately or even together if you like.

i used grease for years (which is petroleum and mineral oil), the supposed big no no's. but my hair did fine. i also used and still do use a wet (watery type leave in) in place of water, because for me water was more drying. now i use oils and butters. others use vaseline , i dont think so much for moisture , but more for protection...nothin can penetrate it (like air which they say is drying) you will be fine, just finding what works for you...like some like products with glycerine (curl activators) i dont..i cant stand them as a matter of fact. you have so much to choose from to give your ends moisture, and you are not limited to just one method...try them all and see what works for you and what you like. like you said one says air is drying another says it need to breathe...its crazy. the only real answer is finding what works for you. sorry but its true.

cool.gif
Irresistible, thanks for your input...I think I just need the encouraging words you have given in my threads even though I already know everything is trial and error...I just probably need to hear it more often so I wont worry...I think its because Im impatient
crazy.gif
...Im just looking for a commonality from the forum to see what I can decide from...thanks again!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
cool.gif
Irresistible, thanks for your input...I think I just need the encouraging words you have given in my threads even though I already know everything is trial and error...I just probably need to hear it more often so I wont worry...I think its because Im impatient
crazy.gif
...Im just looking for a commonality from the forum to see what I can decide from...thanks again!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

gurl i was just thinking when i came on this board i had already grew out my hair right? i coudlnt even imagin how overwhelmed i would be if i came here with damage and desperate for growth and quick answers.i would be seriously losing my mind reading all this info....

lets see i would probably
1. conditioner washed everyday (which would have my hair a hot mess)
2 slabbed some vaseline on my ends
3. be scared to death to wear my hair up ..or down
4. would not trim when i read posts against it..would run for the scissors if i saw a post about how good it is
5 would have used surge
6. would of started washing my hair everyday with shampoo too
7. would of started eating eggs and drinkin carrot juice (wait i did do those for a minute
laugh.gif
)
8. would of bougth tons of products that would end up just sitting on my shelf (wait i kinda did that one too:D )
9. would be in shere panic over what was right and wrong due to all the conflicting information on here
10. just from a post today i would of put cooking oil on my hair
11. i would want braids one day, and be scared of them the next, as soon as somoene posted about damage (i grew my hair out with braids a
while too)
12. would of tried a product that others said was kewl and jacked up my hair (dang did that one too with Aveda anti humectant)
the conflict comes from different things working for different people , it can get pretty scurry up in here lol

Yeah but I havent tried all those things. There are somethings I refuse to try and even with the products people mention, I'm not going to waste my money on all those products. I'm just picking and choosing
smile.gif

You have to find what works best for YOU. Experiment, and then do whatever works best for YOU...
wink.gif

Poohbear, simplicity has always worked for me, once I found out what worked for me, I stuck with it. I choose specific methods from this site that appeared to be beneficial, just a few of them, if i used all of them conjointly, I would probably have no hair!!! Choose wisely....

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
Yeah but I havent tried all those things. There are somethings I refuse to try and even with the products people mention, I'm not going to waste my money on all those products. I'm just picking and choosing
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ] thats good ,and i saw the thread you were talking about , it does get confusing...like Isis said on one thread some talk about every day washing , while others say dont wash....in the end you really do have to pick and choose

I have to agree with everyone else. It's all trail and error until you find what works for your hair and as someone said simplicity is the key, don't do anymore then is needed.

Now to answer your orginal question, right now EQ Mango Butter is working great on my ends. I put a little on my ends each night before I roll set my har and it seems to be working great. It doesn't weight my hair down and I still have some bounce

I'm using the same stuff I used before I came to the hair boards on my ends because it was the one thing that was working for me. I use Constant Care for Ends, keeping it in the fridge to make it last a long time. It goes on very light and does the job very well. I use it in the morning and before I go to bed. Vaseline also worked great for me when I was wearing in buns all of the time, too greasy for my loose hair though.

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:

gurl i was just thinking when i came on this board i had already grew out my hair right? i coudlnt even imagin how overwhelmed i would be if i came here with damage and desperate for growth and quick answers.i would be seriously losing my mind reading all this info....

4. would not trim when i read posts against it..would run for the scissors if i saw a post about how good it is
5 would have used surge
7. would of started eating eggs and drinkin carrot juice (wait i did do those for a minute
laugh.gif
)
8. would of bougth tons of products that would end up just sitting on my shelf (wait i kinda did that one too:D )
9. would be in shere panic over what was right and wrong due to all the conflicting information on here
11. i would want braids one day, and be scared of them the next, as soon as somoene posted about damage (i grew my hair out with braids a
while too)
12. would of tried a product that others said was kewl and jacked up my hair (dang did that one too with Aveda anti humectant)
the conflict comes from different things working for different people , it can get pretty scurry up in here lol

[/ QUOTE ]

lachen70.gif
So so true!

It's kind of hard trying to find the information thats right for you, but once you find it, it's smooth sailing.

I have been spraying my ends with evoo/distilled water mix and sealing with evoo or hot 6 oil. Sometimes I spray the ends with a leave in and seal with the same oils.

I moisturize twice a day. I use 3 things for my ends... distilled water...coconut oil and Tigi Bed Head Ego Boost. I use the Ego Boost after my conditioner wash in the evenings...then I seal my ends with the coconut oil.

In the mornings I mist my hair with distilled water..and seal with coconout oil.

I can't say enough good things about using coconut oil. It's very moisturizing...and I love it.
smile.gif

Thanks for your input! I was just trying to decide whether I should use my mixture of oils, vaseline, water, or hair lotion OR all of them...I decide sooner or later...right now, Im putting the oils and lotion on them. I also use Silk Elements Glossing Polish.

I wanna respond to Irresistible's list. It looks like fun.
laugh.gif

1. conditioner washed everyday
I did that my first few months here. My soaking wet hair doesn't agree with the Jilbere shower comb, so I'm down to washing every 1-2 weeks and combing my hair just damp with detangler spray.

Vaseline preserved my ends like a DREAM, but I got tired of the bunned hair being all gooped up when I took it down. I need to be able to detangle, section, and braid it before the next wash, so I'm not using the vaseline on my braided bun lately (xtra conditioner instead).

Naw, hasn't happened yet.

I've been steadily anti-trim. Supergirl has taught me well.

5 would have used surge
Crazy concept # next: mix my surge with garlic oil to increase growth and reduce shedding SIMULTANEOUSLY. *sniff* What's that smell?

uh-uh

7. would of started eating eggs and drinkin carrot juice
Well, yall got me over here eating extra protein and drinking juice with MSM...

8. would of bought tons of products that would end up just sitting on my shelf
I done did it. I have so many products, and I don't even do my hair that often anymore! Just when I was slowing down with the product purchasing, I found a beauty supply store that Jada referred to in Jamaica Plain. It's not over yet.

When I get panicky, I go back to the salon and let my stylist "fix it."

I hate having oily residue on my hand after touching my hair. Worse when a friend touches my hair and then wipes his hand on his pants leg. Oil is out.

11. i would want braids one day, and be scared of them the next, as soon as somoene posted about damage
I wore latch hook braids on and off 1996-2003. That's thoroughly out of my system.
smile.gif

12. would of tried a product that others said was kewl and jacked up my hair
This was me and the Motions line. This was me under the Dominican blowdryer/blowtorch. This was me in the shower with the Jilbere.

*sigh* OK, I'm done. It's been an interesting 1st year relaxed...

I moisturize my ends everyday, either with a moisturizer or EVOO. I seal my ends with EVOO after I wash it.

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:gurl i was just thinking when i came on this board i had already grew out my hair right? i coudlnt even imagin how overwhelmed i would be if i came here with damage and desperate for growth and quick answers.i would be seriously losing my mind reading all this info....

5 would have used surge
laugh.gif
)
while too)

[/ QUOTE ]

lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif

Good point! My hair was already long, before I ever thought about looking into hair care. I know what works for me, and I know what makes my hair grow and remain healthy. (Just wondered if it could grow even faster
grin.gif
) Who knows what I would have tried if I had discovered this board not knowing what works for me.

Fortunately, there is so much helpful information here, and wonderful ladies who take the time to share what works for them.
smile.gif
Take what you can use, and disregard everything else.
smile.gif

When I get my hair professionally done and after a re-touch I put a little bit of Kera Care's Essential Oils on my ends every 3 days or so. Anything heavier than this light essential oil formula would weigh my hair down.

When I wash my hair myself I still use the Kera Care oil or Design Essentials Botanical Oils and also spray a watery leave-in conditioner on my ends every day.

I moisturize more when I wash my own hair because I'll wash it at least once a week if not more, so I don't worry about weighing my hair down then. I wait a little longer between washes when I go to the salon so I moisturize less to maintain the style a little longer. :)

Back