What was your stylist reaction when you wanted to go natural?

When you decided to go natural how did your stylist take it?

• My stylist subtly tried to persuade me to relax again

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • My stylist outright told me I was crazy!

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • My stylist was super supportive

Votes: 23 34.3%
  • My stylist wasn't that excited but supported my decision

Votes: 16 23.9%

• Total voters

chebaby

my stylist is like a grandmother to me. after she saw my twa she was stunned. she just kept looking and shaking her head. she said because i am young it will grow back fast. she then said that perms are harsh chemicals but relaxers are not and when my hair grows she may have to put some around the front of my hair so the roots can be straight. i was like noooooooooooooo im using NO chemicals or heat on my hair.

NaturallyGraceful

She was super supportive!!! She had been natural before & actually looks like an LHCF poster girl with extra gorgeous MBL hair. She's a stretcher and only does the "healthy hair" thing for her & her clients. She's the best.

jazzzmoods

Funny! I was frustrated with my hair yesterday and went to a new stylist.....for a consultation on cutting my relaxer of and going natural, she talked me out of it. Said the climate in Arizona would make it near impossible to manage.

ResultsMayVary

I haven't been back to my stylist since I decided to go natural, but I'd love to see what she'd say after reading these responses .. hmm maybe I'll go in for a DC (there's no way she could mess that up ... I hope ... lºl

southernchocolate

Bumping

This is funny because I didn't tell my stylist face to face. I had my sister do it for me. Not because I was afraid of his reaction. I was living in another state at the time and my sister had become a regular of his. Of course he told her that i wouldn't keep it up because he knew how I loved my short cut do's and and my spikes, that I'd come running back begging for him to throw some chemicals and scissors in back in my hair.

Well it's been 13 months chemical free and 9 of those months I've been completely natural. Naw boo boo. No running back for me. Shoot!!! Driving nearly 11 hours round trip every other weekend just so he could do my hair wasn't worth it anyways.:nono:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
My stylist is prepared each year because I go natural one year and relax the next. This is why Sylver 2 1 year stretch is perfect for me.:lachen::yep: That will keep my crazy behind from cutting off my progress every year!:rolleyes::nono:

CarolinaGal

I've had the same hairdresser all my life, she was dissapointed when I relaxed! She loves my natural hair and was happy to hear I was transitioning at the time. Shes relaxed herself but helped convince my mum to go back to her natural hair too :)

that is a beautiful story!

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I had been seeing my stylist for a year when I told her I was going natural--something she had suggested to me at our very first appointment. She and her shampoo person were so happy for me. She did my BC in June and I haven't seen her since. Maybe I'll make an appointment to get a blow dry and trim soon.

PlainJane

I'm not natural but a few years ago I went to my stylist for a wash and flat iron while I was (only) 8 weeks post. She asked if I was going natural. I was considering transitioning at the time so I told her I didn't know yet. She then charged me an extra ten dollars because she said she had to "fight with my head to get it straight" and the price would go back down once I got a relaxer. Smh.

IMFOCSD

Well I'm not natural but when I did talk to my then stylist she was totally against it.. so many excuses.. "ur hair will break off because of ur texture " was what she kept saying tho. I just gave up on the idea & started texlaxing eventually..

wheezy807

I'm not natural yet but she tells me that I should because I have that kinda hair that can be just blowdried and flatironed. All the while i'm thinking to myself, hellz no!! I plan to embrace the napps. I only needed her for relaxers, trims and special occasions. I so look forward to saying good riddens!

crimsonpeach

Master Lurker
Hello Ladies,
Did your stylist try to discourage you from going natural?
I had a friend that has been trying to grow her hair long for the 10 years that I've known her. It seems it would never get past barely touching her shoulders. No matter what it would always get thin at the end and break. We recently met for lunch and I shared with her that my sister and I were going natural. She said that she hadn't relaxed her hair for several months because she was frustrated with relaxers and her hair breaking and not retaining length :wallbash:and that she wanted to see if her hair would grow better if she were natural. So she went to her stylist and told her about it. Her stylist laughed in her face and told her she would look horrible if she went natural because she didn't have the right texture of hair :ohwell:(I think she has mix of 4a 4b hair). So she relaxed her hair and out of frustration cut it really short. I tried to encourage her but I think she has given up going natural and on trying to grow her hair long.I felt so bad for her because she seemed so sad :sad:that she "had" to relax her hair and that it will prob not ever grow long. I'm not surprised that her stylist did this because I have never seen even one natural client in her shop. Plus she would lose money. I think its is probably common practice that hairstylist will discourage there clients from going natural since most of them are used to only working with relaxed hair.
I rarely ever go to hairstylist so I don't have this problem. It's mostly my family who keep telling me my hair is going to fall out if I don't relax soon. I'm just wondering how many people were discouraged by a hairstylist when they decided to go natural.

Faith,hope and love...and the greatest of these is love...

This is my exact STORY! My stylist told me I didn't have the "right" grade of hair and that some people didn't have the texture to achieve long hair.

Instead of accepting her view, I stopped going to her and went natural anyway. After all I had spent years relaxing and being unsatisified, I might as well try going natural and see what happens. If it didn't work out I could go back and get a short relaxed cut that my stylist had recommended. Three years later and my hair is fuller, thicker and longer (right at APL in the back) then it's ever been. Tell your friend to give natural a go. She can always go back. To this day my former stylist goes on FB tirades about people walking around with "slave" hair and has minions supporting it. I make sure to post hair updates every once in a while for the fun of it.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I'm not natural yet but she tells me that I should because I have that kinda hair that can be just blowdried and flatironed. All the while i'm thinking to myself, hellz no!! I plan to embrace the napps. I only needed her for relaxers, trims and special occasions. I so look forward to saying good riddens!

wheezy807 I didn't know you were transitioning!

bellatiamarie

To this day my former stylist goes on FB tirades about people walking around with "slave" hair and has minions supporting it.

Smh.. "slave hair"? Now that has to be one of the most ignorant statements I've heard in a long time... :nono::nono: AND people follow behind her with that foolishness? What does she call a white persons hair growing out of their head naturally.... Master hair? Girl, please have several seats!

wheezy807

@wheezy807 I didn't know you were transitioning!
Yeah, I never officially announced it because I've been going back and forth in my head about it. But earlier this year I got a really big cut....between collarbone and SL. Right before Xmas I plan to do a BC, I thought transitioning was for me but it's not. I'm just too lazy for all that tlc Dayjoy.

Embyra

Never told her she was the reason I turned to this forum

Was tired of her over processing my hair causing breakage

Vowed never to go back that was 4 years ago and don't regret it

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
My stylist has never had a relaxer and she was the one who encouraged me to stop relaxing. I remember I was in the chair complaining that my hair looked shorter since she colored it and she told me to choose which chemical I wanted to keep because being double processed may be the reason that my hair was breaking. She said if the decision were hers, she would give up the relaxer and go natural. I told her I was already "natural" since I didn't have a weave....yeah I thought natural meant no weaves! When she told me what natural really was...I was like oh I've done that growing up when I used to get my hair pressed...sure I'll do it again. Wasn't a big deal to her or me. No difference in price nor level of service. I still rock with her to this day...she has a variety of clients (natural, relaxed, transitioning, white, black, hispanic) and I feel lucky to have someone like her in my hair corner.

Last edited:

kandigyrl

My ex-stylist told me that all of my hair would break off if I tried to transition because she has seen it happen a 100 times. After going to her for about another 2-3 months and feeling super pressured to relax "because your hair is so hard to deal with", I found another stylist. My current stylist is awesome, she well let me know when I haven't been taking care of my hair. She ripped me a new one when I hadn't been for a while and returned with damaged edges.