What's so special about a Denman Brush?

Someone please tell me whats so special about this brush? (or even brushes in general!) I have only used a brush once in my life and when I did my hair was wet and it made it so frizzy- so I practically swore off all brushes. What can this brush do that my regular comb can't?

kitchen_tician

For me, a denman is a great detangler. Also, a good blowdrying brush. It also helps your natural texture (waves/curls) "pop".

eta: Actually, it's not a "great" detangler. It just helps my waves clump together, like Pokahontas says.

Last edited:

kitchen_tician

CreoleBelle said:
My denman brush did nothing for my tangles:( .

Actually, I use it after using my shower comb. It also helps gather the hair together. For me, I think it works best on natural hair. If I was completely relaxed, there really wouldn't be a need for it, other than to blow dry with it.

CreoleBelle

kitchen_tician said:
Actually, I use it after using my shower comb. It also helps gather the hair together. For me, I think it works best on natural hair. If I was completely relaxed, there really wouldn't be a need for it, other than to blow dry with it.

My newgrowth is like slavery:eek:, so I have tangles galore. I purchased the D5, which is the heavy version of the D4. Not only is it heavy, it pulled my hair out. But then again, I can't seem to find anything that will detangle my wet hair. There's no sign of slip in sight:ohwell: .

Last edited:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Denman is my precious, lol. I love that thing for real though. It's great for wash n' go's because it makes your curls and waves pop and clump together so there's less frizz. It really amazes me how my hair can be undefined and frizzy and as soon as I run the brush down it there's perfect spirals. It dosen't detangle well for me either. I use it for styling after I've already detangled w/ my shower comb.

kristina

Actually I use a goody denman knock-off that works just as well as the real thing. I wouldn't use it first to detangle (I usually fingercomb first) but I really like the brush because of it's ability to catch all the shed hairs and smooth the hair.

gn1g

Denman massages my scalp and detangles my hair and weaves. But I kinda think it causes split ends.

caligirl

The denman is great for blowdrying natural hair straight. I use it for my sets (braidouts, etc) because it gets my hair smoother than a fine tooth comb without breaking my hair.

Tee

kitchen_tician said:

This brush does the same thing for my relaxed hair and i LOVE it! The only brush I use now. (other than a small boar bristle brush for my edges)

Arcadian

I love my denman brush. I use it to smooth my hair into place (after detangling) sometimes though, my hair and that brush likes to fight with each other, usually around the time i need to relax:perplexed

-A

so1913

As a relaxed head it was a MUST for my blow drying. The best tool for it ever! After time, usage, and constant heat, the teeth can get a little "weak" and less sturdy and more flimsy. You'll "feel" the difference. When you start to feel this it's time to replace it. If you haven't noticed, and have had yours for a while using it to blow dry, buy a new one and I guarantee you will feel/see the difference versus the old used brush.

chayil0427

With the Denmans I say quality quality quality. These things don't snag and pull your hair. My round boar bristle also leaves my hair silky smooth with the blow dryer on cool. And their pin brushes are built to last and the teeth gently penetrate thick hair without damage. I don't brush a lot, but when I do, Denman is where it's at!

Chayil

krissyprissy

I have a Denman knock off that I got at Sally's. I use it to gather my wet hair in a pony and it all so helps smooth my hair before I use my boar brush on the edges.

Cheleigh

carribean_dream said:
You guys got me all excited now! lol
So where can I purchase a denman brush or a good knockoff?

I got my D4 and my D83 at Sallys--they're often on sale there.

MummysGirl

I haven't even tried it on my relaxed hair and I figure it will be a bit of a problem with my new growth already - 2 different textures and I just have this gut feeling it won't work right on my relaxed hair anwyay. I don't blow dry so maybe when I am right in the middle of my year long transition, I might have to try it out while blow drying... I'll see.

I definitely am going to buy a Denman Brush and add it to my "When I'm all natural" stash.

pmichael52172

I haven't even tried it on my relaxed hair and I figure it will be a bit of a problem with my new growth already - 2 different textures and I just have this gut feeling it won't work right on my relaxed hair anwyay. I don't blow dry so maybe when I am right in the middle of my year long transition, I might have to try it out while blow drying... I'll see.

I definitely am going to buy a Denman Brush and add it to my "When I'm all natural" stash.

You have a stash like that too? I thought I was the only one! Right now, in my stash are my Denman Brush, Veggie Glycerine and Rosewater (for my future glycerine sprays), Aloe Vera Gel, Denman D12 comb(s) and a cute headband. I plan to upgrade my ceramic flat iron and hair dryer as a gift to myself once I'm mostly natural but not right now. In my "All Natural" bag are the receipts for all of these products too... in case I don't like them. What else do you have in your stash?

MrJohnsonsRib

I want a denman. I hear it helps with getting rid of shed hair and helps to get hair that's stubborn to be untangled or at least not all packed down...I can't wait to try it out.

Stiletto_Diva

I L-O-V-E my denman!!!! This is the ONLY thing that gets my hair detangled. If I use a wide tooth comb my hair is right back to being tangled but not with my denman. It pulls all of my shed hair out so that also helps with tangles and knots. I only use this brush on soaking wet hair full of condish. It leaves my hair extra silky smooth and the curls are alot more noticable.

I can only reccomend this for naturals though because when I was transitioning it pulled alot of my hair out. I almost returned it but decided to give it one more try on fully natural hair. I'm happy I kept it.

ETA: it also helps my hair not shrink up so much and elongates my curls giving the appearance of longer hair

jaszymeen

is this like an everyday brush thing or only wet hair/detangling thing because it seems like its mostly used on wet hair?

Lava27

Ok...so I know I'm in a minority...but I sorta, kinda HATE my denman! :(

I'm relaxed with very fine strands and I just think this is NOT the brush for my hair type. I think my hair just isn't strong enough to handle this brush. Whenever I tried to use it I felt like I was ripping my hair out, so I just stopped. Still holding on to it in case I find a better use, or way to use it...but right now my fave "detangling instrument" is my glorious shower comb (i heart :)

SimpleKomplexity

I bought this brush for $8 today at Sally's but I'm sort of scared to use it because It just looks like it will rip my hair out. So I'm bumping this up for more comments on the denman brush on relaxed hair