What's the deal with yogurt?

charmtreese

I like to mix my own pre-treatments. Normally I just do a hot oil treatment or an egg treatment (if I need protein) before washing, however this time I used yogurt, (1) egg, grape seed oil and grapefruit eo. I really liked the way my hair came out and would like to use the yogurt without the egg the next time however, is the yogurt protein for my hair? I would like to use yogurt more often however if its protein my hair may act up since it’s a little protein sensitive.

What are the benefits of yogurt? Does it moisturize, strengthen or both? My hair feels nice but I’m sure why???

JustKiya

Ahhh yogurt - it's great, isn't it? :lol:

I personally consider yogurt a light protien, and use it accordingly in my protien sensitive hair. I don't consider it moisturizing at all - pure protien. If I add honey, or something along those lines, I can 'add' moisture to it, but I think of straight yogurt as straight protien.

One of the possible reasons for yogurts lovely effects on the hair is the 'lactic acid' in the yogurt - an acid that is a side effect of the curdling process of the yogurt.

Usually, people notice that their hair is softer and smoother, and naturals sometimes find that it's loosened their curl a bit. I've heard good things about using in on NG, too, to make stretches easier.

~~HoneyComb~~

I have a tub of yogurt that's been in my fridge for 2 weeks because I plan on using it but forget every time I wash my hair. I hope it doesn't spoil, I really want to see what results I get from using it.

charmtreese

Thanks ladies...I'll keep the yogurt in my regimen just not every week. I bought a pretty big size thing of it, so I guess I will use it to make smoothies!!!:lick:

JustKiya

:look:

Now, I might be special - but as long as it isn't molded, using past dates yogurt - well, that's how I get rid of my leftover yogurt that's just too old for me to comfortably eat - I figure as long as I'm not ingesting it, it's all good. :look:

charmtreese

:look:

Now, I might be special - but as long as it isn't molded, using past dates yogurt - well, that's how I get rid of my leftover yogurt that's just too old for me to comfortably eat - I figure as long as I'm not ingesting it, it's all good. :look:

Well thats good to know, because I was thinking I had to use it all before the expiration date!!!

luxe.li.

Im glad I found this I have yogurt in my hair right now, its low fat lmao not sure if that makes a difference. I didnt know adding honey to it adds for moisture I thought honey was a protein also.

*Muffin*

I'm going to use yogurt bi-weekly as a protein treatment as well. Today I did it mixed with an egg, but I'm not sure I liked it with the egg :look:. Yogurt seems to have enough protein without the added egg to strengthen hair. I may just use the yolk of the egg next time.

ladybuddafly

Ooooh, I can't wait to try this on my hair Friday. I just used some on my daughter's hair and it was SUPER soft. I actually added it into some cholesterol with a little honey and castor oil. Yum!

shunemite

My former co-worker, who was an Ethiopian, used to do this overnight. She used to mix it in the blender with coconut oil and some other stuff. She had long thick hair, about BSL or MBL. I guess it was the lactic acid. I'd like to try this on my new growth when stretching.

*Muffin*

I want to try yogurt as my light protein treatment. My hair is protein-sensitive. I was wondering if the protein in yogurt gives problems to those who are protein sensitive. I was planning on using plain yogurt mixed with olive oil, avocado oil, and honey for my next protein treatment.

LadyPBC

I looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove using yogurt in my natural type 4 hair. I've read that it is a light protein kinda treatment. I use full fat greek yogurt mixed with honey, AO condish (anyone) and some oil (vatika usually) as a pre poo. I mix it up and it feels so yummy and looks like soft serve ice cream in a jar. I use it weekly because I like the way it loosens and stretches my coils.

bless57

I like to mix my own pre-treatments. Normally I just do a hot oil treatment or an egg treatment (if I need protein) before washing, however this time I used yogurt, (1) egg, grape seed oil and grapefruit eo. I really liked the way my hair came out and would like to use the yogurt without the egg the next time however, is the yogurt protein for my hair? I would like to use yogurt more often however if its protein my hair may act up since it’s a little protein sensitive.

What are the benefits of yogurt? Does it moisturize, strengthen or both? My hair feels nice but I’m sure why???
Yogurt moisturizes and strengthen my hair. I absolutely Love it and my hair just eats it up.

*Muffin*

I looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove using yogurt in my natural type 4 hair. I've read that it is a light protein kinda treatment. I use full fat greek yogurt mixed with honey, AO condish (anyone) and some oil (vatika usually) as a pre poo. I mix it up and it feels so yummy and looks like soft serve ice cream in a jar. I use it weekly because I like the way it loosens and stretches my coils.

Drat! I knew I should have bought that full-fat greek yogurt. I got low-fat plain yogurt instead. My mom likes eating yogurt, and I would never forgive myself if I caused my mother to gain weight. That yogurt is 290 calories a serving!

Yogurt moisturizes and strengthen my hair. I absolutely Love it and my hair just eats it up.

Can't wait to try it :).

belldandy

I love yogurt. I use nonfat or lowfat. I mix it with a couple of other deep conditioners, castor oil and cocnut oil. That is what I have on my head right now, My hair turns out tangle free, feels stronger yet soft.

coolsista-paris

hi. im used to using yogurt. when i see the date has passed i know it'll end up in my hair!

i usually add egg, honey and olive oil.

I have yogurt on my hair right now. I will leave it in for about an hour. I was using egg but I think my hair get used to stuff rather quickly and I had to find me something els to use. So I went back to the yogurt. I think my hair needs strength.