Whats the difference between coarse and thick hair?

keluric

I think it's opinion-based but in my humble opinion, coarse refers to the texture of the hair (more so how it feels which is probably 'rough' in terms of coarse hair) while thick hair means that the strands are thicker. I distinguish thick hair from dense hair.

People assume my hair is thick because it is dense, there is a lot of it. However, I have medium-fine individual strands.

Hope that makes some sense.

AfroKink

Thickness has to do with density.
Coarseness has to do with strand density

If you had thick hair, but fine strands, it would be like a forest packed with skinny trees.

If you had thick hair and coarse(fat) strands, it would be like a forest packed with wide/fat/thick/ trees.

Thin hair would be like a forest with few trees per square meter.

... there is also medium thickness and medium strand diameter.

To determine the thickness of your strands I heard you can compare a single strand to thread.
Coarse: strand is as thick or thicker than a piece of thread
Medium: strand is about as thick as half a piece of thread (like if you unravel the thread into two equal sections)
Fine: strand is about as thick as a quarter of a piece of thread... or thinner.

I hope that helps, I'm sure someone else will be able to add more
Lys

glamazon386

I think it's opinion-based but in my humble opinion, coarse refers to the texture of the hair (more so how it feels which is probably 'rough' in terms of coarse hair) while thick hair means that the strands are thicker. I distinguish thick hair from dense hair.

People assume my hair is thick because it is dense, there is a lot of it. However, I have medium-fine individual strands.

Hope that makes some sense.

I agree with what Keluric said.

Softresses

If you had thick hair, but fine strands, it would be like a forest packed with skinny trees.

If you had thick hair and coarse(fat) strands, it would be like a forest packed with wide/fat/thick/ trees.

To determine the thickness of your strands I heard you can compare a single strand to thread.
Medium: strand is about as thick as half a piece of thread (like if you unravel the thread into two equal sections)

Lys

I agree with this post.:yep: I have very fine (thin) individual strands, but I have a gazillion of them. So while I have a thick head of hair it has fine strands as opposed to coarse strands.

ETA: kind of like comparing a fine silk thread to a coarse woolen yarn thread.

Here is a link that explains it pretty good.

http://www.hairfinder.com/hairquestions/hairtexture.htm

HTH

Softresses

Last edited:

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83

Lys

I like that!:yep: