What's the scariest thing that happened to your hair?

Xerxes

Re: What\'s the scariest thing that happened to your hair?

Your hair started to smoke??!! /images/graemlins/confused.gif My goodness, and I thought my recent hair experience was bad enough! My hair was always nice until I moved from Miami to LA! The change in atmosphere or a run in with two too many stylists in LA who were poorly trained in giving relaxers tortured my hair. Basically LA is dry and arid, whileas Miami is sultry and humid. So when my hair started to look dry and lifeless I thought after my body adjusted to the move and after using more moisturizers and deep conditioners, everything would be fine. That didn't happen! Over the course of 2 years, my hair kept growing, but in a patch on the nape of my neck, for some reason kept breaking off and eventually I had a gap in the back of my head! One side was almost 5 inches longer than the other! So I knew that it wasn't just the dryness because that would affect all of my scalp the same, so it really came down to these stylists putting my mild relaxer on my already straightened hair in the back and weakening it. So I cut off almost half of my relaxed hair thinking that would suffice, but still, damage was present and the only advice my last third stylist could give me was to get a short Halle Berry type pixie cut and regrow my hair. The short ear length cut I had then was too much for me, so I ended up saying the heck with relaxers! Everyone's trying to convince me to start pressing my hair like everyone else out here, but I work out too much to keep my scalp from getting wet. I wish I had stayed on the east coast or just worn braids, but the good thing is that I now get to embrace my authentic self.
<crossing my fingers and praying that I look like Lauryn Hill when this is all done> LOL

hOnii

once when i was like.. 14, i had taken out my singles that i left in for a month. my hair was A MESS and i needed a perm. it was sooo knotted, so tangled, that we thought washing would make it better. but it didnt. it got even harder in place. then we did the ultimate relaxer no-no and permed my hair the day after a wash. i started burning the second she put the relaxer on my hair, and i had to sit through it until she was done! by that time my head felt numb with pain. we washed and i had burns alll over. when we blowdried and everything my hair was deathly thin and the hair at the back and both sides of my head was gone. thankfully it grew back fast, until then i had to cover them with clips...

Lorraine

Six years ago I applied a very strong relaxer (African Pride) to my hair after removing a sewn in weave. Long strands of hair came out at the root in clumps. I was in tears!!!

Islandgirl

I've had three hair disasters. When I was 12 my sister and her friend hot combed my hair (u know the comb that you put on the stove) and my hair came out in clumps and I had patches. 2nd disaster occurred when I was in the 9th grade, i was visiting my father in Antigua, and his girlfriend took me to relax my hair, did you know that beeyotch took me to a deaf person to relax my hair. needless to say, my hair was overproccessed and came out in clumps on the sink. She did that on purpose, cause my hair was looking better than hers. Thank goodness he got rid of that witch. I got a haircut to my ears four months later.

3rd disaster occurred in college, and that is what brought me to this board. My sophomore year, a stylist at a salon called admirations on 20th and chestnut overprocessed me. Month later, I got a haircut again to my ears.

never again!

Nonie

Mine was when I discovered bald patches on my head. /images/graemlins/ill.gif I was going through a lot of stress...but I also think diet had sth to do with it coz the spots would itch after I ate. Changed my diet and started massaging a concoction of oils into the patches, and I'm pleased to say that the patches are filling in nicely. This experience changed my priorities big time. Now my focus isn't on length but on pampering my hair, especially those newbies, and being more sensitive to any changes in the health of my hair. When I get organized, I'll post this story with the pics...in case it may be of help to anyone.

jainygirl

in the fall of '96 I used Bigen to dye my hair Oriental Black. I wasnt into "time between relaxing and coloring" (/images/graemlins/huh.gif what's that???) i was in a dark period of my life and wanted black hair. It broke off to just fuzz in a few areas. That plus the texture of my hair changed -- My hair "looked" really good but i had to WORK to make it look that way. After a year i got a big chop and sported a 'halle' do and loved it LOL ... so i guess all wasnt lost after all /images/graemlins/grin.gif

AudraChanell

In the 8th grade (my early hair experimenting days), I dyed my hair 3 times in one week trying to get the right color. My hair would be all over the pillow when I'd wake in the morning, and it shedded and broke off for months! It took cutting off most of the damaged hair (got a page boy just above my ear w/a tapered back) and a black rinse to finally make me appear normal! CAN YOU SAY NEVER EVAH 'GIN!

KAddy

[ QUOTE ]
Mine was letting this phony *** Dominican out here in Timbucktoo put a relaxer in my hair. I should have taken a hint when she started plowing through my hair with the comb. Hair was snapping, popping everywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

I too had this same thing happen. I was probably 10 weeks post relaxer and the crazy lady to a RATTAIL comb all through my head prior to putting in my relaxer. /images/graemlins/angry2.gif Needless to say I am will NEVER get a relaxer there again. It has been 5 weeks since this happened and I am still trying to figure out how to hide all the broken hairs sticking up everywhere. /images/graemlins/antlers.gif