what's worse, more moisture with frequent heat or less moisture with less heat?

keola

Hi all, I really need your expertise on this....

I have waist length hair that was natural until last summer when I started relaxing again. Last touch up was Dec 1 06.

If I flatiron my hair, it can last a very long time (4 weeks with only the occaisional curling iron to the new growth surrounding my face). At night I wear my hair in a bun secured with a scrunchie and a wide cloth headband for my new growth. By morning, the ng is straight and my ends are slightly curled like I curled them with a curling iron. That said, all I do is run a brush through and walk out the door. No more heat is needed. When I get itchy I wash and then deep condition for one full weekend then put in a leave in, heat protectant and flat iron again.

I love my hair flat ironed but this means I am only washing/conditioning my hair once every 3 or 4 weeks. That's not much moisture. However, if I wash more frequent than that, I'd also be adding flat ironing sessions as well which I know is not good either.

What do you think would cause the most damage?

Thanks in advance for all input!!
K

Miss*Tress

There's not much that can really counteract frequent use of direct heat. Why not try washing every two weeks for a month or so and see how your hair does? Then if your hair doesn't do well you won't have caused irreparable damage.

Last edited:

Missi

I agree..............more moisture w/ frequent heat is worst...nothing will ever make frequent heat to your hair any good.

Divine Inspiration

There are ladies here who use heat weekly/bi-weekly so it's possible to use heat more frequently without going bald...whether it's healthiest is up for debate.

There are pros and cons to stretching washes that long...on one hand, you have little to no manipulation in between, but I think hair that is cleansed/conditioned frequently fares better in the long run than hair that isn't so I'd definitely say try shampoo/DCing biweekly and see how it goes.

Have you considered rollersets? Also, airdrying then flat ironing would help offset some of the damage since the blowdryer can be ultra harmful if not done carefully and in moderation.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

co signing on this..
Divine Inspiration said:
There are ladies here who use heat weekly/bi-weekly so it's possible to use heat more frequently without going bald...whether it's healthiest is up for debate.

There are pros and cons to stretching washes that long...on one hand, you have little to no manipulation in between, but I think hair that is cleansed/conditioned frequently fares better in the long run than hair that isn't so I'd definitely say try shampoo/DCing biweekly and see how it goes.

Have you considered rollersets? Also, airdrying then flat ironing would help offset some of the damage since the blowdryer can be ultra harmful if not done carefully and in moderation.