? about heat protectors & moisture

Snuckles

I understand that good heat protectors are silicone based. And silicone basically covers the hair strands, not letting moisture or heat get to the hair shaft, protecting it right?

Then, how do we moisturize our hair after using a heat protectant? I'm not talking about wash day but I'm talking about 4 or 5 days later when you need it.

I purchase a heat protectant to use on my natural hair when I blow dry. I used it for the 1st time a couple of weeks ago and HATED it. I felt like I couldn't moisturize my hair. It felt like this silicone stuff was sitting on top preventing moisture from getting to the strand.

I just moisturize with my moisturizer. I've never had a problem with my hair being moisturized after using heat + heat protector. I could see the use of silicone being a problem when you have significant buildup which would cause dryness and you would need to clarify.

Also, I wash and deep condition every 3-4 days and clarify every 2 weeks so that may be another reason why I haven't had any problems.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Snuckles
I understand that good heat protectors are silicone based. And silicone basically covers the hair strands, not letting moisture or heat get to the hair shaft, protecting it right?

Then, how do we moisturize our hair after using a heat protectant? I'm not talking about wash day but I'm talking about 4 or 5 days later when you need it.

I purchase a heat protectant to use on my natural hair when I blow dry. I used it for the 1st time a couple of weeks ago and HATED it. I felt like I couldn't moisturize my hair. It felt like this silicone stuff was sitting on top preventing moisture from getting to the strand.

Okay this is my take on your excellent question.
Heat protectors (Silicone based products) i.e., conditiones and styling products have an incredible capacity to temporarily cling to and spread over, under and around the cuticle. Silicones can and do temporarily protect hair from the damaging heat generated styling tools such as blow dryers, flat irons, hot combs, etc... to some extent. When the hair has a coating of conditioners, silicone serums, or styling lotions (when they contain silicones, glycerin, emollients, or water-binding agents), it can reduce the damage caused by the heat from styling tools. But the silicone protection is in no way absolute or complete. Blow dryers, flat irons, etc. can heat up to well past the boiling point. Silicones only help protect the cuticle to some degree. As seductive as the claims of hair-protecting products sound, they cannot eliminate heat damage 100%. So since they cannot protect our hair 100% then they cannot keep out moisture 100%. So 4 or 5 days after you put silicones on your hair, their cling factor has dissipated. And therefore the hair strand is vunerable to whatever we apply to them. So a few days later is the perfect time to moisture and seal hair all over again. I have done a lot of research on silicones since I put a hot comb to my hair on a regular basis. So after all of my research this what my data summed up.

Thanks Pinkskates for your response :) although I have a hard time believing that the silicone coating is that temporary. I say that because days after applying the heat protector to my hair, it still would not accept the moisturizer. Perhaps I put too much silicone based protector on my hair? Perhaps because I didn't actually flat iron or hot combed my hair? I still dunno. I had to actually wash that stuff out of my hair.

Okay this is my take on your excellent question.
Heat protectors (Silicone based products) i.e., conditiones and styling products have an incredible capacity to temporarily cling to and spread over, under and around the cuticle. Silicones can and do temporarily protect hair from the damaging heat generated styling tools such as blow dryers, flat irons, hot combs, etc... to some extent. When the hair has a coating of conditioners, silicone serums, or styling lotions (when they contain silicones, glycerin, emollients, or water-binding agents), it can reduce the damage caused by the heat from styling tools. But the silicone protection is in no way absolute or complete. Blow dryers, flat irons, etc. can heat up to well past the boiling point. Silicones only help protect the cuticle to some degree. As seductive as the claims of hair-protecting products sound, they cannot eliminate heat damage 100%. So since they cannot protect our hair 100% then they cannot keep out moisture 100%. So 4 or 5 days after you put silicones on your hair, their cling factor has dissipated. And therefore the hair strand is vunerable to whatever we apply to them. So a few days later is the perfect time to moisture and seal hair all over again. I have done a lot of research on silicones since I put a hot comb to my hair on a regular basis. So after all of my research this what my data summed up.

That's essentially what I was going to say, but I would have expressed it so eloquently. :grin: After a few days, the sillicone will not be there.

If i need moisture, i use it first and then the heat serum. I've never had a problem. There are a lot of long haired women here who use heat serums all the time and they have healthy, moisturized hair. I agree with Pinkskates, I don't think the serums coat that strongly to the hair to prevent moisture from getting through

Back