What's Your Favorite Haircare Books?

PrettyBrownEyes

I don't have a favorite because all of them have helped in some way differently. I am going to post a picture of all of my books in my fotki like you did. I have some of the same ones and some not mentioned.

Sassygoddess

i have Shamboosie and Hair Rules. I also Have an Essential Oil book which i picked up from my local herb store. I love this book because it has great recipes and info on oils that will benefit the hair. both hair books combined with this forum has taught me alot. i'm currently in hair school and all this knowledge has benefitted me.

RainbowCurls

I have only read 2 hair books.
One is 'Andre Talks Hair', which was ok, but Andre seems quite pretentious and gets boring after a while.
The other was 'Curly Girl' which was quite informative, but short.

Zuppy

Beautiful Black Hair: Real Solutions to Real Problems by: Shamboosie

This book made me believe I could have beautiful healthy relaxed hair. I was so fustrated year after year with my hair. It's thick as heck, but it was constantly breaking. I would put braids for 3 months, take them out have nice length, relax my hair and within weeks it would start to break off. Then braids again, length again.. it was a vicisous fustrating cycle. I followed the shamboosies routine for several months then found this hair board. My hair is healthy as ever.. it doesn't grow very fast but it's very healthy I get a lot of compliments. And the best thing is that I hardly ever use heat! I never thought I would see the day I didn't need heat! I credit reading Shamboosie's book starting my healthy hair kick-off!

leleepop

Ultra Black hair growth by Cathy Howse and Black Womans guide to Beautiful ,Healthier Hair in 6 weeks! 2003 edition by Carolyn Gray.Both of these books have very good regiman ideas and flexible choices that compliment each other.

Last edited:

amy1234

The first book I bought when I first joined the hair care boards was by carolyn gray.

I don't remember the title but it gave detailed information on following a regimen that would make your hair healthy again. It really did help me at that time when I had no clue...

Every now and then I still visit her website for inspiration: http:www.blackwomansguide.com

alexstin

Carolyn Gray's book started me on my healthy hair journey. The concepts were "radical" to me but helped me tremendously. Finding this forum opened my eyes to the fact that what she had to say wasn't radical at all for many who take care of their hair.

Cien

Pink is my signature color
I only have one haircare book. The Shamboosie book.

It was helpful, but I've learned a WHOLE lot more from the ladies on this board!! Had I found this board before that book, I could have saved myself a few dollahs!

Mom23

My favorite book that I was actually reading again last night is The Black Womans Guide to Beautiful Hair by Lisa Akbari. I found it really helpful.

Healthb4Length

Cathy Howse's Ultra Black Hair is one of my favorites because she gives practical advice that are effective. I've read plenty others but this one so far is my favorite.

ctcks

Zuppy:
What an encouraging reply. It's so true that in our hair journey it's common to have times of set-back. Now there's this community where we can share what works for us and well, I wish we had this "back-in-the-day" when I had some 'rough' stuff:D . Now it's thinned out quite a bit. Anyway, let's all just keep going on our progress.

missvi

God is Good!!
:) Healthy Black Hair: Step-By-Step Instructions for Growing Longer, Stronger Hair.(paper back) BY:Nicole Elizabeth Smith
Very Good

zoj2

Alli77 said:
Cathy Howse's Ultra Black Hair is one of my favorites because she gives practical advice that are effective. I've read plenty others but this one so far is my favorite.

I am currently reading this, so far so good!