What's your Favorite Scarf??

colemtd

What material is your scarf? Silk, satin, etc..??

Or do you just sleep on satin pillowcases??

And for those who have really long hair, do you find it hard for your hair to breathe if you leave it on at night AND during the day if you have nowhere to go??

camellia

I just sleep on silk or satin pillowcases. I don't have any breakage from doing this and my hair is not dried out.

Honestly, the idea of wearing a scarf, cap, covering to bed was totally foreign to me until I came to this board. My mother and aunts have very long hair and they've never worn anything to bed. Sometimes we'll tie our hair up if we're doing something messy like painting, but not just to sleep.

RosesBlack

My day wear scarf (because I don't really know how to style my hair well) is a big black satin one. My nighttime scarf is a purple Christina scarf. it had a treatment of some sort on it but I didn't like the way it smelled so I left it out. It's a little stretchy and the only one I've ever found that will stay on my head when I sleep. And they are cheap I got mine at Sally's for something like 1.50.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I like that magic grow scarf (I can't remember the name) that Wal-Mart sells. It's supposed to have "magic stuff in it to make your hair grow":lol: .....but I don't buy it for that though:look: , it's actually a good scarf and it's cheap.

Your hair is very pretty.

ariesgirl

My large black silk scarf is my favorite. It is large enough for me to tie it behind and then bring it around to the front to tie it as well. If a silk scarf is not big enough for me to double-tie it, then it would just slide right off of my head.

God's Anointed

I guess i'm the odd-ball. I use to wear scarves to sleep at night but it broke my hair off where the knot was. So now, i'm using a durag as my favorite scarf. It's the same material as the other scarves i use and i found out it's the only thing that stays on my head while i sleep at night.

SohoHair

I was using a satin scarf that I got from a BSS but I felt it was doing more harm than good, the weave was so big that I could feel little peices of my hair poking through.

I am now using a 100% silk scarf that we got on vacation to Indonesia years ago. My mom sometimes gets irritated that I use something that nice on my head at night but she'll just have to get over that!!:lachen: It's super smooth, never dries out or snags my hair, and generally stays put. I still sleep on a satin pillowcase for those lazy days when I just can't wait to crawl into bed.

DSP

I use plain white silk scarves that I order from an online craft place — they're inexpensive and you can paint or dye them if you like. I even painted some and gave them as Christmas gifts: http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3273-AA.shtml

I use the lightweight Habotai silk scarves (30"x30" for $2.50) for sleeping and heavier satin silk scarves (30"x30" for $3.69) to wear under my wool hats.

They also have plain white silk Charmeuse pillowcases for $9.95:
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1384272-AA.shtml?lnav=clothing.html

I'm sure it would be even less expensive to sew my own scarves using silk fabric, but I'm self-employed and time is money.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I have a large silk scarf that I bought from the Liz Claiborne outlet for about $3.00. I looooooooove that scarf. It's great... very durable and a pretty light blue. I also sleep on some satin pillow cases that I got at Biglots and the Dollar Tree. (Ain't nothin' wrong with being frugal. Shoot a sista's on a budget lol :lol: )

HoneyDew

I use a satin wrapping scarf. It is by Christina. I wrap it all down, but it falls off during the night. To prevent that, I secure it down with a cotton batik scarf that is really thin and light. I own about 4 of them that I bought from an EBay seller. I know many are against cotton, but this has worked wonders for me. I don't think it's bad since it is just holding down the satin one and my hair never comes undone overnight.

I just unwrap, finger comb and go. :)

Isis

colemtd said:
What material is your scarf? Silk, satin, etc..??

Or do you just sleep on satin pillowcases??

And for those who have really long hair, do you find it hard for your hair to breathe if you leave it on at night AND during the day if you have nowhere to go??

I have silk and satin scarves and a silk over-sized bonnet. I also sleep on a silk pillowcase. :)

About leaving my scarf on, silk and satin scarves keep one's hair moisturized. It's very good for the hair and protects it. Wearing such a scarf is like wearing a protective style.

Buttercreme

Thanks to the board, I now use only silk scarves with a satin bonnett over it, even though it doesn't need it.

I use to wear satin scarfs, but had to re-adjust them frequently through out the nite. I also put a silk scarf over daughters head after I moisturize her good. She now wakes up every morning with it still on her head.

Another excellent quality: I no longer have to tie a knot anywhere. just wrap it around and tuck the ends for secure fit.

cutiebe2

I use a satin drawstring bonnet that I got at the BSS. Along my hair line I put a satin headband to protect my hair from any rubbing the satin may cause.