Votes: 6 3.5%
  • avoiding relaxers

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • prepooing

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • other (oil rinses, etc)

Votes: 13 7.6%

• Total voters
I would definitely have to say DC!! Co-Washing is lovely, M&S is wonderful but I don't think all the co-washing & M&S'g in the world would have fixed my damaged hair when I first started out. Of course I had to do a couple of trims to get rid of some raggedy split ends too. By alternating between my protein & moisturizing DCs I have almost no shedding & the breakage that I had before taking care of my hair is now growing out. DC'g twice a week also keeps my NG in check when I start getting closer to relaxer time. I was able to stretch a little longer this time around. :grin:

-Low/No manipulation via wigs
-Great product regimen (Joico, Sally's GVP detangler, Cantu shea butter)
-Heavy sealing (with Shea butter and Vaseline).
-Regular dustings

I voted other because it was a combination of no more relaxers, using better products (or making my own), and rollersets

Had the best retention with weaves whether relaxed or natural. When my hair is out I end up just doing too dang much to it to get it how I like it. Going back to them for a while until I hit BSL.

My vote was Deep Conditioning.
After that Cowashing and Low Manipulation are most important for me.

Deep conditioning to keep my hair from getting too dry, which saved my ends from needing frequent trimming.

But close seconds are:
moisture/protein balance
low manipulation

My phone won't let me vote. I think that protective styling has helped me retain length.. If you want to get technical, I NEED to DC often, low heat, and have protective styles .

I voted a while ago, but didn't post.

1. Moisturizing and Dcing
2. Protective styling at least 5 days a week
3. Sealing w/ceramide based oils.

Other- keeping it simple

I don't have the patience nor the time to do this and that and this and that to my hair. I let it do what it does, and I retain. My steps are:

1. Keep it clean
2. Leave it alone
3. Keep it moisturized

Last edited:
i have two priority list based on the condition of the hair.

hair that is in good condition:

deep conditioning
trimming regularly
protective or low manipulation styles

hair that is damaged:

protective style - as a RULE
deep conditioning - as a RULE
hard trim to remove damage

I got a lot of growth with protective styling aka sew ins. But when I took that down and between a relaxer and a new install no heat is what really helped me retain length.

Wearing my hair out with no flat ironing or blow drying was great. I learned to roller set my hair and it just grew and grew. I'm bad with heat because I love swing so I sizzle until I get it straight like I want.

Now I roller set and the swing is there without the damage and I bought an edge tamer comb for my roots

Back