Votes: 8 4.5%
  • oil rinsing

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • pre poo

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Makenzie

Protein conditioners and deep conditioning with my roller sets low maintenance styles coming in third.

Softerlove

1. Pin curl
2. No petroleum
3. No Sulfate
4. Protien
5. Moisture

I didnt notice I was almost/really APL from SL until my hair got straight.

Now, flexi rods and HE LTR + Jojoba and Argan Oil.

Sent from my MyTouch 4G

TLC1020

I voted protective styles.. Which allowed me to retain lots of growth.. Moisture and deep conditions were a given to me b/c that's the easy part...

nerdography

I give credit to...

1. Using no heat whatsoever
2. Low Maintenance styles
3. Pre-Poo
4. Co-Wash
5. Sleeping on a Stain pillow case

I start transitioning in Feb 2009 and now May 2011 my hair is APL stretched.

Lita

Moisture,Ceramides.Weekly Dc's & of COURSE PROTECTIVE STYLING....

Happy Hair Growing!

mEmYSELFaNDj

For me its definitely been protective styling (weaves) and moisture (mainly from Cowashing 2-3/wk alternating between moisture and protein conditioners). If I had to chose which was most important I would say moisture (although I accidentally voted for protective styling before I really thought about it). Oh retiring my blowdryer helped big time. Reducing the amount of heat I use.

Last edited:

LovinCurls

I personally give most credit to regular protein treatment my hair loves protein, I skip this and I see breakage.

BoaterGirlKim

Protective styling a la wet bunning changed my hair life. For the first year of my hair journey, moisturizing DCs helped my hair get back to healthy and it started getting fuller. I discovered wet bunning at the 1-1/2 year mark. Wet bunning got me retaining and that's when I started finally seeing a little length (slow grower).

Anne26

panda
Protective styles, cause they prevent tangles. Less tangles, less mechanical damage (which is the worst in my opinion).

Also less SSK's, if you keep it stretched. My PS (damp buns) also retain moisture, even if I don't use leave-ins or oils that day.

Last edited:

adrienne0914

i wish i was one of those people that wear their hair down all the time, and it still grows. i'm not. so i chose protective styles. even if i do everything else listed but don't wear protective styles, i don't retain length.

growinghealthyhair

It is really hard for me to ONLY say daily moisture. Protective styles and oil rinsing have also played a huge role in this as well!! I'm actually retaining my length , and my hair isn't breaking anymore.

fivetimestwo

I voted 'regular protein treatments'. I once thought that if you don't relax or color that there is no need for regular protein but I found out that my hair actually thrives on a steady diet of protein (and moisture too) and now my hair is stronger than ever. :yep:

Protective styles are running a close second. It makes retaining length pretty much effortless, even though I really get bored with it. :lachen:

wheezy807

I've always given credit to deep conditioning atleast once a week. It's the truth, turned my tresses around!

mango387

I voted for low manipulation styles, because they have helped me retain length.

However, I actually give the most credit to adopting a healthy diet and getting regular exercise. There is a noticeable decline in my hair's health when I slack on these two things, regardless of what I'm doing to my hair externally.

I totally agree with the bolded. I have always stated that I have slow-growing hair. Recently, I have been working out regularly, taking Vitamin D infrequently, and eating better. Can you believe that I cut my hair to chin length at the end of December, and it's already past SL now? For some people, that's just regular hair growth. For me, that's a miracle. I am hoping to return to school with APL hair in August!!! Don't underestimate taking care of your inside first.

snillohsss

From the list it would be Regular moisture. My main reason would be no heat. When I drop the heat my hair thrives.

ScorpioBeauty09

I attribute my retention to DC, though I use conditioners for breakage defense and occasionally clarifying and maintaining a healthy pH balance through using ACV + lavender, peppermint and rosemary oils as a post-poo/pre-con.

ToSelahWithLove

I voted for daily moisture (which to me also includes any DCs or Steam Treatments that might get done).

As much as I know that protective styling can help with retention, I know that if I were to just protective style and not moisturize my own hair underneath, when I take out the braids/wig/weave/whatever then my hair will not have prospered. (yea... it's happened before. Took those twists out and it was dry as a a dang desert and snap snap snap! went my ends). So I really do give moisture the credit.

IMFOCSD

I voted for daily moisture (which to me also includes any DCs or Steam Treatments that might get done).

As much as I know that protective styling can help with retention, I know that if I were to just protective style and not moisturize my own hair underneath, when I take out the braids/wig/weave/whatever then my hair will not have prospered. (yea... it's happened before. Took those twists out and it was dry as a a dang desert and snap snap snap! went my ends). So I really do give moisture the credit.

This makes a lot of sense thats why moisture is my second choice.

The Princess

It is really hard for me to ONLY say daily moisture. Protective styles and oil rinsing have also played a huge role in this as well!! I'm actually retaining my length , and my hair isn't breaking anymore.

I have to Agree.... Moisture help keep the new growth soft and help me stretch longer.

For the last couple of weeks I have been using Sallys Argan Oil styling creme. It's very moisturizing, keep my new growth soft and has a nice scent to it as well.