What's Your Worst Hair Experience as a Child?

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
What\'s Your Worst Hair Experience as a Child?

Another thread has me wondering if anyone has a good story to tell about their child hair experience. Mine is rather amusing. When Mom first put in our relaxers, she never did a touchup! Months passed and she was wondering why her kids' hair was shedding excessively, leaving patches and breakage. It was so bad I had to wear hats to church! Well, come to find out she literally thought since the box said "permanent" the application was just that, permanent!

That made us girls /images/graemlins/mad.gif back then, but it gives me something to /images/graemlins/rofl.gif at now...

MissJ

Re: What\'s Your Worst Hair Experience as a Child?

Well, mine was when I went bald in the 4th grade!

Laela

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
MissJ said:
Well, mine was when I went bald in the 4th grade!

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif How did that happen?? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

hairfanatic

It would definately have to have been my mother constantly burning my ear with the straigtening comb. If I had instant reflexes I would have backhand her but know that she on the other hand would have put her fist in my mouth. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pumpkin

When I was in the 5th grade, my mother's friend used to do my relaxers from her kitchen. Once, my mother decided to use another brand which required mixing oil with creme and something like that. Well the lady did not know what she was doing and failed to follow the proper directions. All I know is that within 3 mintues my hair was on FIRE /images/graemlins/shocked.gif She washed it out but no amount of water could have saved me from what I call 3rd degree burns. And this was just the beginning. For the next two weeks my hair was literally stuck to my scalp as if I had fallen into a bucket of crazy glue. It couldn't be combed or anything and my scalp was too sensitive to wash. I had to put Pink Hair Moisturizer in sections day to day just so I could unstick my hair from my scalp. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Justice4alw

This is an EASY question for me to answer. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I will never forget. I was about four or five and my mother was hot combing my hair in the kitchen. Some way, I never figured out how, the hot comb slipped out of her hand and down inside my shirt. Once I felt the heat of the comb, my four to five-year-old mind recalled everything that I had heard about what one should do if her clothes caught on fire.

I jumped up with my mother in hot pursuit, took off running and, rolling on the floor with the hot comb still inside my shirt. The pain was excruciating. My mother kept screaming and trying to make me stop, but I was so sure that I had to keep rolling to keep from going up in flames.

Needless to say, rolling was the worst thing to do in this situation. I still have a huge scar on my back from the imprint of the pressing comb. /images/graemlins/cry3.gif

Laela

hairfanatic said:
It would definately have to have been my mother constantly burning my ear with the straigtening comb. If I had instant reflexes I would have backhand her but know that she on the other hand would have put her fist in my mouth. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif That hot comb (and momma) was no joke, huh? Thanks for sharing that. I got a good laugh...

Laela

Pumpkin said:
All I know is that within 3 mintues my hair was on FIRE /images/graemlins/shocked.gif She washed it out but no amount of water could have saved me from what I call 3rd degree burns. And this was just the beginning. For the next two weeks my hair was literally stuck to my scalp as if I had fallen into a bucket of crazy glue. It couldn't be combed or anything and my scalp was too sensitive to wash. I had to put Pink Hair Moisturizer in sections day to day just so I could unstick my hair from my scalp. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OMIGOD! That must've been traumatic. Did you ever find out if that relaxer was Creme of Nature?

Laela

Justice4alw said:

Needless to say, rolling was the worst thing to do in this situation. I still have a huge scar on my back from the imprint of the pressing comb. /images/graemlins/cry3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Justice,

I 'm sorry to hear you went through that a child, esp. so young.. that has got to be the worst hair experience I've heard yet. At 4 you knew to do that? VERY smart! I know at that age, I'd not have been that quick-thinking /images/graemlins/nono.gif

Justice4alw

Thank you for your kind words, Laela. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Leshia

Justice4alw said:
This is an EASY question for me to answer. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I will never forget. I was about four or five and my mother was hot combing my hair in the kitchen. Some way, I never figured out how, the hot comb slipped out of her hand and down inside my shirt. Once I felt the heat of the comb, my four to five-year-old mind recalled everything that I had heard about what one should do if her clothes caught on fire.

I jumped up with my mother in hot pursuit, took off running and, rolling on the floor with the hot comb still inside my shirt. The pain was excruciating. My mother kept screaming and trying to make me stop, but I was so sure that I had to keep rolling to keep from going up in flames.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

luvhair

Beauty and Fashion Junkie

I was in fifth grade and my hair was in this wet perm-- not a jheri curl but almost. Anyways I went to the hairdresser to get a touvh up and she left it on for too long because she was trying to do too many heads at once and it burned the back of my head. I got about 10 to fifteen quarter sized water blisters on my scalp and

for a year after whenever I sweated-- i live in southern california mind you and it happened in the summer-- it would burn like someone poured acid on my head. My family didnt have a car at the time so sometimes we would be walking and i would start sweating and my mom would have to run me home and rinse my scalp with ice cold water to get me to quit screaming.

To this day the area that burns grows 3 times slower than the rest of my head. I will never forget it.

Lindy

Justice4alw said: I still have a huge scar on my back from the imprint of the pressing comb. /images/graemlins/cry3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG!!! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif That is awful!!!

I have a story, too. When I was about 12 or 13 my mother took me to a salon in our area to get my hair relaxed. Now, in those days it wasn't easy where I live to find a salon which catered to our type of hair. I remember my Mom calling salons on the phone and asking if they did "black" hair... /images/graemlins/shocked.gif and just about all of them actually said no!!! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif Anyway, she decided to take me to this guy who claimed he did relaxers. Well, he was white, needless to say, and she took me there and left me to do her shopping. He put the relaxer in my hair and left to let it sit. I guess he totally forgot about me or something because he left it in for a really long time. About a week later my hair started breaking off really badly and by the time it was all over my hair was about a half inch long in one big patch on the right side of my head!! It was awful because I really had to get creative with styling my hair so it wouldn't be noticeable, and of course, it took forever to grow out. (Looking back now, I guess I was lucky ALL my hair didn't break off!!!) To this day I blame my Mom for leaving me there at a salon that she really knew nothing about!!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Robin41

I have a hot comb story: Once when I was about eight or nine, my mother was trying to get a hot comb through my naps and I was squirming in the chair. She pulled the comb really hard and it snapped back and hit her in the mouth. Well, I was horrified! I thought it was my fault for squirming and I just knew she was gonna wear my behind out but I guess she was just embarrassed and only thinking about this huge burn on her top lip she had to explain to everybody.

We still laugh about that.

Laela

Robin41 said:
I have a hot comb story: Once when I was about eight or nine, my mother was trying to get a hot comb through my naps and I was squirming in the chair. She pulled the comb really hard and it snapped back and hit her in the mouth. Well, I was horrified! I thought it was my fault for squirming and I just knew she was gonna wear my behind out but I guess she was just embarrassed and only thinking about this huge burn on her top lip she had to explain to everybody.

We still laugh about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woooahhh!!! Your mom is cool for not tearing up your behind because of a mistake. I guess she figured you were going through enough at the time?

I'm trying hard NOT to laugh about her lip, though.. I may end up going through that with my own daughter one day! Did it leave a scar?
Thanks for sharing ...

ngaa

O.M.G. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif justice, thats amazin that at 4 u'd remember to do that coz i kno at 17 if i was ever in a situation wen i'd need to roll on the floor, ngaa bein 4getful as she is wud panic and 4get all about that

ngaa /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

Dandy112

My worse hair experience I did myself trying to be grown, my mother braided my hair and I wanted to have the curly look (I had box braids with done with synthetic hair), instead of waiting for her to come and do it I boiled the water, I put rollers on the braids and bent backwards to dip the rollers in the back of my head in the water, all I know is the pot of hot water fell on my head, I was all over the floor because it was burning so bad! I cant remember if I had scabs or anything but I am sure I did I just remember being all over the kitchen floor holding my head from the pain! /images/graemlins/frown.gif

adrienne0914

i don't really have any bad hair experiences as a child. my mother never relaxed my hair. that was something i did in my late 20's. she never pressed it either... again something i did. all the pressing comb burns on my ears i made. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

adrienne

alireno

When I was in the 5th grade, I was the only black girl in my class. My hair was really thick. I wanted sonething to slick it down some. My closest friend (a white girl) told me she used this stuff called Dippity Doo. Basically it was a big jar of blue gel. I was so excited I put almost the whole jar in my hair. Needless to say, when I tried to brush or comb it, they would not go through my hair. I had to wash it many times and it was still a while before I got it back to normal. I am sure she meant well! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

Laela, this is not My bad experience but when we were little my sister and I used to comb my Grandma's hair while she slept on the couch, she did'nt mind us playing in her hair. /images/graemlins/think.gif Well one day we were gonna "Grease" her hair the only thing we could find was a blue jar that said "Noxzema" on it.. Well we went to town, slathering and brushing, she jumps up cause she said her head was burnin.

Saw the Noxzema Jar and ran headed for the kitchen sink..

We were like /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif hmm, what went wrong

Needless to say she was /images/graemlins/swearing.gif upset and told us to stay out hair.

I guess that would be her worst experience huh /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ngaa

hey mindymouse is noxzema hair removing creme or a relaxer?
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Laela

Dandy112 said:
I boiled the water, I put rollers on the braids and bent backwards to dip the rollers in the back of my head in the water, all I know is the pot of hot water fell on my head, I was all over the floor because it was burning so bad! I cant remember if I had scabs or anything but I am sure I did I just remember being all over the kitchen floor holding my head from the pain! /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OOOOOOOOOoouch!! Boy, the things we do as youths! I'm sorry you went through that. OK, that's definitely bad experience No. 2.

Laela

Lucky you, Adrienne! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Justice4alw

ngaa said:
O.M.G. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif justice, thats amazin that at 4 u'd remember to do that coz i kno at 17 if i was ever in a situation wen i'd need to roll on the floor, ngaa bein 4getful as she is wud panic and 4get all about that

[/ QUOTE ]

Ngaa, yes, my parents were really big into schooling us on what to do when different emergency situations occurred. The only thing that I could think of when the hot comb hit my back was "fire", and so I instinctively did what we had been taught to do if for some reason some part of our clothing caught on fire.

Unfortunately my young mind didn't know to process the hot comb as being just that, a hot comb. All it knew was "fire".

Allandra

ngaa said:
hey mindymouse is noxzema hair removing creme or a relaxer?
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a creamy facial cleanser.

Laela

Mindy, all I can say to that is:

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif!!!!!

Allandra

I bet that stuff can cause quite a bit of scalp tingling. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

ngaa

thanx allandra. lol mindymouse now i know y she asked u to stay the hell outa her hair
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

It's a facial scrub for Acne and Pimples /images/graemlins/blush.gifoo: