When Dusting cut all ends or only split ends?

Researching

Hi Ladies,

I just dusted my hair and I only cut the split ends. Should I have cut the ends of every piece of hair sticking out? If yes I was wondering how this is helpful.

Nonie

I say dust all ends.

All your hair strands endure the same things be it washing, combing, styling, so why would anyone believe that some strands would split and not others? And I'm sure someone will argue that they have looked at their ends and seen some split and some not split. Well how can you tell that what you're looking isn't a post-split end--meaning the split already ripped off and the single end you're seeing is actually half a strand basically on its last legs? (How do you think thin ends come to be?) Also I do not believe it's possible to carefully examine all 100,000+ strands and not miss some, at least not in the time I've seen folks demonstrate in YT. I think it'd take several days and perhaps a magnifying glass to get it right. And what's the point if you're not going to be that thorough and examine all...if you will miss some that will continue to deteriorate?

So Search & Destroy seems to be such a waste of time and a complete joke to me.

Last edited:

BlackMasterPiece

When I S&D I only clip the ends that need it...I don't clip all over
In total agreement with this. I only trim ends that are clearly damaged, split or thin at the ends. When you do this regularly....you never accumulate much of them and you're able to retain more of your progress because you're eliminating them before they can compromise any significant part of your progress. I love Traycees video on dusting and S&D. I saw that video and it really got me to thinking......then when I saw pinkskates swears by this method as well.....I was sold.

I will be doing search and destroys exclusively for the next few years and even my hair out when I feel necessary....and I will be doing it all myself.

Wgen I S&D I only clip the ends that need it...I don't clip all over
The first time I did it...clipped only the ends that needed it...some parts needed more some needed less....
Which is the why the back of my head ended up in a layer like result...but now .... need less trim/cut/s&d whatever as each week goes by cuz keeping up with it better.
Think the longer ones hair gets, the easier it becomes....for/to me.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Dusting is cutting all ends....it's the same process as a trim but only taking off the slightest dusting.

Search and Destroy is only cutting splits.

Nonie

Dusting is cutting all ends....it's the same process as a trim but only taking off the slightest dusting.

:yep: Except my definition goes more like:
Search and Destroy is only cutting the splits that you are able to find. The ones that hide get left behind, as do the ones that already tore off and are pretending to be whole which have no business being left behind.

Last edited:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I say dust all ends.

All your hair strands endure the same things be it washing, combing, styling, so why would anyone believe that some strands would split and not others? And I'm sure someone will argue that they have looked at their ends and seen some split and some not split. Well how can you tell that what you're looking isn't a post-split end--meaning the split already ripped off and the single end you're seeing is actually half a strand basically on its last legs? (How do you think thin ends come to be?) Also I do not believe it's possible to carefully examine all 100,000+ strands and not miss some, at least not in the time I've seen folks demonstrate in YT. I think it'd take several days and perhaps a magnifying glass to get it right. And what's the point if you're not going to be that thorough and examine all...if you will miss some that will continue to deteriorate?

So Search & Destroy seems to be such a waste of time and a complete joke to me.
I combine S&D's with regular trims and dustings. I need everything, lol. I couldn't or wouldn't want to get away with just S&D's. I like fresh ends and I feel that all ends need a fresh start sometime. I have to do S&D's because I get splits on those shorter strands that are no where near the bottom so I could never get them with a trim. Splits are so frustrating.:wallbash:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Hey yall!:wave: here's Traycee's vid on how she does S&D and Dusting:yep: her method of dusting doesn't involve cutting all her ends either....I love it.:grin: It sho is workin for her!
I use Traycee's method....love it! But dosen't she cut good ends too? I remember her saying that in the vid....she likes to give even good ends a fresh start, which i agree with. Or do you mean the ends/bottom length of her hair?

Nonie

I use Traycee's method....love it! But dosen't she cut good ends too? I remember her saying that in the vid....she likes to give even good ends a fresh start, which i agree with. Or do you mean the ends/bottom length of her hair?

I believe she does cut good ends. When you twist, all the hairs that are at different lengths stick out. So if you're cutting those, then you're probably skipping split ends and cutting good ends away. The hairs tucked in the middle of that twisted bunch could be full of splits and then strands that stick out could be whole strands that just happen to be in middle of their growth cycle hence why they are short and able to stick out when you twist.

I don't understand how this method could ever be a split-end cutting method, unless y'all have split ends that are HUGE. None of the hairs that stick out look like a "split" to me. They just look like shorter strands. But to each his own. *shrug*

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I believe she does cut good ends. When you twist, all the hairs that are at different lengths stick out. So if you're cutting those, then you're probably skipping split ends and cutting good ends away. The hairs tucked in the middle of that twisted bunch could be full of splits and then strands that stick out could be whole strands that just happen to be in middle of their growth cycle hence why they are short and able to stick out when you twist.

I don't understand how this method could ever be a split-end cutting method, unless y'all have split ends that are HUGE. None of the hairs that stick out look like a "split" to me. They just look like shorter strands. But to each his own. *shrug*
I agree with you on the twisting method. I don't use that one because it's not thorough enough for me. There's too much hair hiding in that twist. What I do is use her method of taking a small section and sliding down it, clipping all ends that stick out on the way down. I use this only to "freshen" my ends that are farther up. Along with that I do regular dustings and S&D's where I examine and clip all bad ends that I find. With all these methods I have my ends covered pretty well for once *fingers crossed*. It's a lot of work though.

MrsHdrLe

Yeah, I looked at her video, but didn't have the courage to follow through b/c I know that not all hairs that stick out of a twist are necessarily bad, some are just shorter or at a different point in the growth cycle.
What do you all do if your hair is not long enough to see it? It seems this method only works for those who are at least mbl or more. Also, the mirror doesn't seem to give accurate perspective and I tend to cut the wrong hair b/c everything is backwards/opposite.

Nonie

I agree with you on the twisting method. I don't use that one because it's not thorough enough for me. There's too much hair hiding in that twist. What I do is use her method of taking a small section and sliding down it, clipping all ends that stick out on the way down. I use this only to "freshen" my ends that are farther up. Along with that I do regular dustings and S&D's where I examine and clip all bad ends that I find. With all these methods I have my ends covered pretty well for once *fingers crossed*. It's a lot of work though.

I wish I could see a video of what you mean. I think what I'm having difficulty understanding is because curly hair bends this way and that at different points along its length, how can you be sure what is sticking out isn't a full end that just happened to be close to a direction change in your hair's pattern?

I mean, if you look at a split magnified, it looks like this:

What you're looking at there is what you would see if you divided this line _____ 100 times and then looked at one part of those hundred pieces.

So when you see a split, it has to have gone way beyond just that 1/100th of a centimeter damage you see there. If all the parts of the split are intact, it'd look like a fan or frayed or just fuzzy. But how y'all would be able to see that on a strand of hair and know for sure, I don't know.

BTW, sliding your finger down a strand may tell you if your cuticles are raised because the strand would feel rough. But even if it were possible to find a split that way, what is it you cut off? Does that mean you just remove half the damage? Coz a split happens to a whole strand, so if you're only cutting things that stick out, exactly what sort of strand are you leaving behind?

I took a photo of a shed hair at its life size and then magnified it 4 times. (Attached pics) I cannot even tell if that end on the magnified hair is a whole end or whether it has split coz human eyes are not made to see such tiny things and be able to distinguish such tiny changes. Definitely mine aren't coz they felt strained when I tried to examine that single strand. And if the magnified one was even hard for me to see, how could I possibly expect to be able to see a split on the real sized strand? And examine 100,000+ of them? :nono:

Attachments

• A shed hair.jpg
    A shed hair.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 7
  • A shed hair magnified x4.jpg
    A shed hair magnified x4.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 7

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I wish I could see a video of what you mean. I think what I'm having difficulty understanding is because curly hair bends this way and that at different points along its length, how can you be sure what is sticking out isn't a full end that just happened to be close to a direction change in your hair's pattern?

I mean, if you look at a split magnified, it looks like this:

What you're looking at there is what you would see if you divided this line _____ 100 times and then looked at one part of those hundred pieces.

So when you see a split, it has to have gone way beyond just that 1/100th of a centimeter damage you see there. If all the parts of the split are intact, it'd look like a fan or frayed or just fuzzy. But how y'all would be able to see that on a strand of hair and know for sure, I don't know.

BTW, sliding your finger down a strand may tell you if your cuticles are raised because the strand would feel rough. But even if it were possible to find a split that way, what is it you cut off? Does that mean you just remove half the damage? Coz a split happens to a whole strand, so if you're only cutting things that stick out, exactly what sort of strand are you leaving behind?

I took a photo of a shed hair at its life size and then magnified it 4 times. (Attached pics) I cannot even tell if that end on the magnified hair is a whole end or whether it has split coz human eyes are not made to see such tiny things and be able to distinguish such tiny changes. Definitely mine aren't coz they felt strained when I tried to examine that single strand. And if the magnified one was even hard for me to see, how could I possibly expect to be able to see a split on the real sized strand? And examine 100,000+ of them? :nono:
Have you viewed Traycee's vid?

I only do these method on straightened hair. I wouldn't attemt it on a textured style if that helps you understand any better.

I'm not sure if I understand all of what your saying but for S&D's I only cut the splits I can see and they are visible plain as day to me, no magnification needed.:perplexed Sure, there may be some tiny ones that my eyes can't pick up but I don't worry about those. That's what I use the "end freshening" method for....to hopefully get what I can't see and freshen the ends.

When I cut the hairs that stick out that's only part of my process. I don't expect to get all splits that way....mainly just to freshen/dust the ends that are farther up. I rely on S&D's to get rid of all visible splits.

I don't know if i've cleared up anything, lol.

Mz.MoMo5235

this is what i was gonna say. to me there is a difference. i dusting is just a lighter trim. a s&d is clipping just the raggedy ends

Nonie

Have you viewed Traycee's vid?

I only do these method on straightened hair. I wouldn't attemt it on a textured style if that helps you understand any better.

I'm not sure if I understand all of what your saying but for S&D's I only cut the splits I can see and they are visible plain as day to me, no magnification needed.:perplexed Sure, there may be some tiny ones that my eyes can't pick up but I don't worry about those. That's what I use the "end freshening" method for....to hopefully get what I can't see and freshen the ends.

When I cut the hairs that stick out that's only part of my process. I don't expect to get all splits that way....mainly just to freshen/dust the ends that are farther up. I rely on S&D's to get rid of all visible splits.

I don't know if i've cleared up anything, lol.

Poka, because you also do dusting, I think you cross all T's and dot all I's.

My issue is with the fact that people actually believe S&D finds all splits. And even if you press your hair, unless you're examining from root to end to make sure the strand stays thick all through, how can you tell whether the strands that don't look split are no post-split ends? In other words, people will swear they have no splits yet they have see-through ends. How does that happen? It happens when a split goes so far that it tears off while you comb, so by the time you're LOOKING for splits, you can't find them and think all is well.

The images I posted show you that splits happen at such a microscopic level that by the time you are seeing them, the split has gone as far as here:

And since it's so hard to see it before it goes too far, I think just dusting all strands (as you do Poka) is the surest way to keep hair healthy and full. One of my gorgeous ends idols is Spring who doesn't S&D but just dusts regularly. Her hair is so full and thick from base to ends, just like yours Poka. And I can bet my bottom dollar that your ends look so great Poka because you dust, not because you S&D.

JustSimplyTish

I S&D myself often....when I see that my hair needs it.....However I do get regular Trims as I call them every 3-4 months by my SIL who is a stylist.....But I do not "dust" as some of you call it myself ever....I am not good at it and I am sure I can't see things in the back of my head that I may be missing nor do I want my trims uneven....so I trust my SIL to handle it

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Poka, because you also do dusting, I think you cross all T's and dot all I's.

My issue is with the fact that people actually believe S&D finds all splits. And even if you press your hair, unless you're examining from root to end to make sure the strand stays thick all through, how can you tell whether the strands that don't look split are no post-split ends? In other words, people will swear they have no splits yet they have see-through ends. How does that happen? It happens when a split goes so far that it tears off while you comb, so by the time you're LOOKING for splits, you can't find them and think all is well.

The images I posted show you that splits happen at such a microscopic level that by the time you are seeing them, the split has gone as far as here:

And since it's so hard to see it before it goes too far, I think just dusting all strands (as you do Poka) is the surest way to keep hair healthy and full. One of my gorgeous ends idols is Spring who doesn't S&D but just dusts regularly. Her hair is so full and thick from base to ends, just like yours Poka. And I can bet my bottom dollar that your ends look so great Poka because you dust, not because you S&D.
Gotcha, and I totally agree.

Thanks so much for the complement Nonie. It's definitely a struggle and work in progress. Dusting is definitely a must for me to have healthy ends.:yep: