When I was blowdrying tonight I had a thought...

DMJ's Mom

So this is the first time since early Aug I used heat on my hair and while I was blowdrying it I realized that I am blessed not to of been bald in my younger years. For at least 10 years I blowdried and flat ironed my hair once a week without using ANY heat protection, not to mention the overlapped relaxers, no moisturizing except on wash day, snatching through knots and combing with a fine toothed comb :wallbash:. It wasn't until the summer after high school graduation that I ever began to worry about how my hair looked. Thank goodness I began to learn.

You are a luckier woman than i am, even now if i try to blowdry then flat iron i would be commiting the ultimate hair sin. My hair is extremely fine and back then when i knew nothing about proper hair cair and think i was doing it all right, i was so dead wrong. My hair broke like crazy. DC and protein treatments was never in my book.

i thank god for hair forums like this one that brings so many wonderful ladies together so we can educate each other.

you are lucky and so am i. my hair is healthy now but i used to go to the salon every 2 weeks and get my hair washed (no conditioner) blow dried, pressed and curled. in between that time i would oil my hair with african pride oil but no moisturizer and for the most part nothing on the scalp. sometin=mes i would go months without going to the salon because i thought not washing it would make it grow so in between that time i would flat iron my dirty hair everyday and curl it with a iron almost everyday. my hair was relaxed bone straight and bleached and rinsed. surprisingly enough my hair was really thick and always past sl.

Hey ButterCaramel!
I had a similar experience when I was younger. When I had natural hair, my mom would press it all the time. After she relaxed it when I was 10 or 11 years old, she would overlap relaxers, wash once or twice a month, blowdry and use curling irons with no heat protection, no conditioners, just shampoo and grease. Never had breakage or knots or splits. And my hair thrived and grew to armpit length. Getting hair cuts was the reason why my hair didn't get longer than armpit length. Now that I'm natural again and got another hair cut about 3 months ago, I plan on that being my last hair cut until I reach brastrap length.

Back