When is enough a enough - cost of hair stylist increasing

naturalmanenyc

When is it time to say goodbye to a stylist when they keep raising the prices?

Say you have been paying $30 for years for the same style. Then it increases to $40 (after say 5 years), then $60 the next year, then $80 the next year - all for the same style that takes the same amount of time and same amount of product?

Would you find a new stylist or keep going to the stylist?

This is DH's stylist. The reason given for the increase is longer hair.....although they only twist the roots of his locks (mostly they use Sebastian molding mud but DH often times brings his own).

Last edited:

ms.blue

I will find a new stylist but before that I would discuss with the old stylist about the price increase and see it can be reduced. If the stylist refuses then I would let she/he know I'm going some where else.

Solitude

I would have left with the first price increase. I *might* pay $5 more, but that's it. Before I became a DIYer I used to go back to my old stylist from high school occasionally. Even though she moved to a new salon and raised her prices, she always gave me the old price. Like, she would charge me $30 when it was $40 for everyone else. It was just an understanding...I mean, she did my hair for prom, graduation, probate, and so forth...we went way back.

...if I went back to her now after being away for many years, I would expect to pay her new prices, but I wouldn't tolerate a price hike of more than $5 if I was regular customer. And even then, I would have to have adequate notice of the increase.

ETA: for example, I've never been to Reniece, but I noticed that the prices don't go up for returning customers. From her site.....

It's been a while since you've done my hair, am I considered a new client?

No, you're not considered a new client but you may not necessarily receive first-priority scheduling rights.

Since you've done my hair a while ago, will I be able to pay the same price that I paid before?
You can receive the same price as long as you have been to the salon within 6 months. After 6 months, you will be required to pay the current price for services.

Last edited:

MizzBrown

What are the reasons for the increase? Her booth rent went up?

She's using the state of the economy as her reason to increase? She took some extra classes and is now the top stylist in the salon or something?

BostonMaria

$80 is very steep. Is that for just a wash and set? How often do you have to go?

I don't frequent salons, but the first price increase would've been it for me

MrsMe

Do they wash his hair, dry it, twist and style it? If they do any less than that, them they have no reason to charge $80 no matter how long his locks are.
I'm a DIY too, so I can't fathom being charged $80 for one salon visit...maybe for my wedding day.
Would you like to do it for him? Would he like you to do it for him? If he twists them, it shouldn't be too hard to do at home.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Long Hair Care Forum App

my prices went lower. with people losing their jobs all over the place, i wanted them to know that they still could come and their hair done. and with other stylist charging next to nothing, i had to go down.

naturalmanenyc

They do wash his hair but DH rarely gets his hair "styled". He just gets his new growth twisted.

I offered to do his hair for him a few times and he always said no. I plan to offer again though. $80 is just ridiculous for twisting his roots.

I found 2 local places that I will have him check out soon. Hopefully the prices are more reasonable and the results will be the same/better.

southerncitygirl

i think that people treat good stylists so wrong.....as you gain more experience and the cost of things go up...folks should charge more no matter what goods or services they offer. its the same as you getting a raise every year, would you want your boss to scale you back and give you a paycut? its interesting to me that people think folks with small businesses should charge the same price forever....the point of having a business is providing a quality good or service and over time the price may go up for any number of reasons. however, those cost increases should be gradual not doubled or tripled every year.
is the dh getting extra stuff when his locs are re-done? some folks i know get their's washed,steamed, dc'ed and oiled in addition to the twisting. if this extra stuff is not included maybe he could search for a stylist who does more or not get his hair re-done as often.
my stylist has went up over they years and though i may see her less often i will always be a loyal customer. she transitioned me out of my relaxer and guided me with healthy hair tips and understood my budget constraints though the yrs that we have known each other.

Charz

Sinister Minister
it's called inflation and supply and demand. If people are willing to pay higher places, why shouldn't the hairdresser raise her prices. She/he is hustling. I wouldn't say no to a raise if my boss offered one, would you?

kmn1980

Emoticons don't affect me
If he's brining his own styling cream most of the time, I don't see how they justify it. I have a friend who bought a tool to tighten locs. She took it to the salon once to show the guy who used to do her hair and he tried to steal it. She does hers on her own now. Have they justified it (besides the length explanation)?

My Friend

I wonder if her health insurance, products, water, electricity, booth rent, insurance, taxes, marketing materials, or anything at all has increased in her life?

Does anyone know of any companies that lay off employees who have 15+ years of service so they can hire in new people and pay them much less to do the same job?

I'm sure someone else is willing to tighten his locs for the price your willing to pay, you just have to find them. It's about what your willing to pay and not about what the stylist is charging:yep:

TamedTresses

Obviously some people are willing to pay the price or it wouldn't have kept increasing. He should find another stylist if the price seems to high for him. I would probably do the same if it increased that much in such a short period of time. The increase after 5 years wasn't bad. The 2nd and 3rd increase seemed like a bit much (and too frequent) IMO.

Vashti

$30 or $40 sounds cheap to me. In fact many years ago when I was getting my hair permed regularly I was paying about $30 each visit. But then I don't have locs so I don't know how much work that is for the stylist.

$80 seems steep to me. Especially if he brings his own products with him.