When is it time to perm?

cece

I'm at 13 weeks post relaxer. I'm trying to extend my relaxer until at least 18 weeks, or until I can't take it anymore. After all the conditioning washes, deep conditioning w/ heat, and Aphogee treatments, when is it time to give in? I've noticed alot of girls on the forum, say it can be damaging to extend your relaxer for too long.

Will I be damaging my hair trying to go to 18 weeks?
confused.gif

You'll know because your hair will start shedding more than usual. Sometimes it depends on your hair type also. As a 4a/b, 13 weeks is the most I'd rather extend it to. My hair gets way too bushy and unmanagable after that with a lot of shedding.

I have excessive shedding now, but its not due to lack of a relaxer....its due to lack of moisture and prior overstyling it can be hard to tell when you need to relax. Im on my 8th week post relaxer and I get cornrows every week and my hair stopped sheding!! Go as long as it you can handle it...chemicals are not good. Be strong and your hair will benifit as long as you take care of it.

Just a lot of new growth going but I am only 9 weeks post relaxer and I have some weave in my hair as a protective style

[ QUOTE ]
cece said:
I'm at 13 weeks post relaxer. I'm trying to extend my relaxer until at least 18 weeks, or until I can't take it anymore. After all the conditioning washes, deep conditioning w/ heat, and Aphogee treatments, when is it time to give in? I've noticed alot of girls on the forum, say it can be damaging to extend your relaxer for too long.

Will I be damaging my hair trying to go to 18 weeks?
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is an individual thing. When you start to notice any negative effects (shedding, breaking) from prolonging your touch-ups, then it's probably time to give in. For some folks, it isn't damaging at all.

[ QUOTE ]
jean said:
I have excessive shedding now, but its not due to lack of a relaxer....its due to lack of moisture and prior overstyling it can be hard to tell when you need to relax. Im on my 8th week post relaxer and I get cornrows every week and my hair stopped sheding!! Go as long as it you can handle it...chemicals are not good. Be strong and your hair will benifit as long as you take care of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. I am trying to be strong. The shedding isn't so bad since I've been doing Aphogee treatments. I think my problem is in detangling. I try to be patient while combing, but those knots are sooooo fustrating.

13 weeks. Wow I wish I could extend it that long. I can only go to the 10th or 11th week. Beyond that I am begging for breakage and frustration.

Right now, I'm at 14 weeks. I'm having no breakage, and minimal shedding and I'm conditioner washing ALOT. I feel like I could go longer if I keep my hair in buns, but I feeling like being cute and wearing my hair down and there's no way I can do that with all this new growth. That's really the only reason why I'll be retouching next week.

Everyone's hair is different, some women can only go 6-8 weeks and other can go beyond 14 weeks. For myself, anything past 9-10 week, I start shedding and breaking. Just pay attention to your hair to see how it reacts week by week.

Back