When is to soon to start talking about marriage

blessed

How far into your relationships did you and SO start talking about marriage? When is to soon? Please give some bibical references if possible. Can you know if thats your future spouse early in your relationship?

I'm not sure that there is a right or wrong answer to this question. I think it depends on the circumstances. Obviously, I could say that the topic of marriage on a first date or first "getting-to-know-you-phone-call" is too soon, but anything is possible with God. I've always heard that Christians date to marry...meaning we, as Christians, don't just date around out of boredom or loneliness. With that said, my husband and I started talking about marriage early into the relationship. The backstory on that is that we'd known each other for six years and had dated before. We had a lot of history together...good and bad...it was assumed that if we were to start dating again it wouldn't be just for kicks.

To answer your question specifically, I do think that you can know whether or not someone is your spouse early in the relationship. Continue to seek God. Really, really seek God.

I think it also depends on how the topic of marriage is being dicussed. If you stsrt talking about how marriage would be like with each other and what your kids are going to look like in the beginning of the relationship, then that is too early, but if you talk about what your idea of marriage is and how you would want your marriage to be, then I think it is ok. But not on the first date or phone call either.

Before he talks about it...

I will not bring up the topic, even if I thought of it first, until he does..

Back