When we pray....

BlessedStarlette

Ladies excuse my ignorance, but when we begin to pray what are we to start it off with? I have heard many people say heavenly father, father God, Holyspirit, Our father who art in heaven, Lord, etc. Also how are we to include Jesus in our prayer as well?

As a new believer I find myself confused because I honestly dont know if I am praying correctly.I would like to grow into a stronger prayer life as well as a stronger faith in our Lord, I just want to make sure I am on the right path.

Currently when I pray I say Lord or Heavenly father and go from there but I guess I think to much on things so I just wonder If I am praying correctly.

Thanks Ladies

JinaRicci

Congratulations BlessedStarlette!! The most important thing as you pray to God is praying from your heart.

I can understand how intimidating it can be for someone new to hear those who are gifted with eloquent prayers but there is nothing wrong with how you're praying. You will go stronger in your prayer life & your faith in God as you continue to pray, continue to see Him work in your life and continue to get to know Him better.

May God continue to Bless You. :)

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Ladies excuse my ignorance, but when we begin to pray what are we to start it off with? I have heard many people say heavenly father, father God, Holyspirit, Our father who art in heaven, Lord, etc. Also how are we to include Jesus in our prayer as well?

As a new believer I find myself confused because I honestly dont know if I am praying correctly.I would like to grow into a stronger prayer life as well as a stronger faith in our Lord, I just want to make sure I am on the right path.

Currently when I pray I say Lord or Heavenly father and go from there but I guess I think to much on things so I just wonder If I am praying correctly.

Thanks Ladies
BlessedStarlette, there is absolutely no ignorance in you at all. You are among whom God calls Wise for you are seeking Wisdom which is a cherished gift from God our Father.

I just shared this with another member in a thread above who was asking about prayer as well. The answer I shared with her applies to your question as well.

:Rose: Here is a prayer which will never fail. You can use your 'own' words. It's an invitation welcoming the Holy Spirit into your prayers.

Holy Spirit, please pray through me for this situation. Let my heart, follow your heart. I thank you for your precious Spirit which guides me into all of God's truth. I thank you that no matter what or how I pray, that I am always lead by you. In Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.

From there, relax and rest in God and pray whatever is in your heart. The Holy Spirit will always lead you simply because you asked Him to. With Him, you will never have to wonder, He loves you too much to leave you without the peace of His presence.

You and your prayers are just that precious and special to Him
:Rose:

You are a precious blessing and a Blessed Starlette among the sky of Heaven. :giveheart:

momi

Thanks for asking this - I am not a new believer, however I still have questions about prayer... it is one of the areas I am "praying" to grow in.

Livingmylifetothefullest

I always look up towards the sky, close my eyes, and begin with "Lord"..... It might sound strange but after I'm finished, this real calm feeling goes through me and I feel relaxed. Sometimes I'll even start crying.

discobiscuits

what janaq said. i follow the format that Jesus laid out. why deviate? if i works for Jesus then it is good enough for me.

After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name....

basically, i begin every prayer with Father and some times i may say "Father I come to you in the name of Jesus Christ"

Spongie Bloom

I would describe myself as 'new' at this as well and as a child I used to pray by sayin 'My Lord Jesus' and it has stuck. So I always start my prayers with 'I thank you my Lord Jesus...' I dont know if it is ok :( I also sign off by saying 'In Jesus name I pray, Amen'.

I only pray Dear God when I pray before I read scipture, or when saying grace, and Our Father for the Lord's prayer.

Nonie

I don't think God (who is the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit) minds how we start our prayers. The Bible is replete with prayers by different people that all began in different ways, and God heard each one.

There are just things we need to observe when we approach the throne of grace and the following scriptures share those tidbits about prayer that we need to keep in mind: http://www.clarion-call.org/prayer/scriptur.html#various

Prudent1

Most of the times I find myself praying to God starting off pretty much the same way you do by using one of his names. His many names are broken down for us into bite sixed pieces b/c he is so much more than we can comprehend in this body. If I need him to be Jehovah Rapha, Nissi, Tsidkenu, Jireh, etc then that is the part of his character I appeal to. Other times I am just spending time with him or thanking him for him being who he is so I might address him as Elohim, El Elyon, or Addonai. I often address him as Abba Father (Daddy) too. As so many others here have stated God looks at our hearts. Sometimes we are in so much pain, turmoil, all we can do is moan or groan.Thank God he is able to interpret what we mean then too. I think as many here have said it is important to reverence him in all prayers and at all times but, you don't want to get so stiff/ formal until you don't even know what you are saying. Prayer is one of the believer's most powerful weapons BlessedStarlette. While running this Christian race you will hear many who try to down play it's importance. Do not be deceived. It is such a priviledge to receive an audience with the only living God. He waits for us, longing for our company. Shimmie's prayer asking how to pray is a very good one. Keep praying often- in the car, at home, in the bathroom, at church, wherever, whenever. God's spirit will teach you and guide you. I always end my prayers 'in the name of Jesus-AMEN'. In Jesus' name b/c he is the one who adopted us and finished the work at the cross there-by granting us access to God the Father and to our shared inheritance. And AMEN (which sounds totally different outside of the english language) which has multiple meanings among them, "so be it" and "God is faithful to his promises".
1 Thess. 5:17- Pray without ceasing.

HTH,
Prudent1

BlessedStarlette

I don't think God (who is the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit) minds how we start our prayers. The Bible is replete with prayers by different people that all began in different ways, and God heard each one.

There are just things we need to observe when we approach the throne of grace and the following scriptures share those tidbits about prayer that we need to keep in mind: http://www.clarion-call.org/prayer/scriptur.html#various

Nonie thank You for this site.

BlessedStarlette

Most of the times I find myself praying to God starting off pretty much the same way you do by using one of his names. His many names are broken down for us into bite sixed pieces b/c he is so much more than we can comprehend in this body. If I need him to be Jehovah Rapha, Nissi, Tsidkenu, Jireh, etc then that is the part of his character I appeal to. Other times I am just spending time with him or thanking him for him being who he is so I might address him as Elohim, El Elyon, or Addonai. I often address him as Abba Father (Daddy) too. As so many others here have stated God looks at our hearts. Sometimes we are in so much pain, turmoil, all we can do is moan or groan.Thank God he is able to interpret what we mean then too. I think as many here have said it is important to reverence him in all prayers and at all times but, you don't want to get so stiff/ formal until you don't even know what you are saying. Prayer is one of the believer's most powerful weapons BlessedStarlette. While running this Christian race you will hear many who try to down play it's importance. Do not be deceived. It is such a priviledge to receive an audience with the only living God. He waits for us, longing for our company. Shimmie's prayer asking how to pray is a very good one. Keep praying often- in the car, at home, in the bathroom, at church, wherever, whenever. God's spirit will teach you and guide you. I always end my prayers 'in the name of Jesus-AMEN'. In Jesus' name b/c he is the one who adopted us and finished the work at the cross there-by granting us access to God the Father and to our shared inheritance. And AMEN (which sounds totally different outside of the english language) which has multiple meanings among them, "so be it" and "God is faithful to his promises".
1 Thess. 5:17- Pray without ceasing.

HTH,
Prudent1

Yes! prayer is a powerful weapon.