Where are you in your hair journey, are you making any progress?

Bmm

Hi ladies,

Where are you in your hair care journey?

Are you at a place where you are satisfied

Are you experiencing anything you may need others to offer advice for?

I was just thinking this would help some of us that may need it… to vent our hair frustations if there are any…and the best part share good news. I know some of us have issues from time to time.( myself included)

Porsche19

Today I felt bad about my hair :(

I tried a half puff and it was a pathetic little thing, I don't know why :( Do I have thin hair or something?!?!

Also, I'm getting frustrated with my tangles and I combed too roughly for the last two days :(

Still, my hair is healthy and split end free. It is growing.

I'm not really satisfied, but I'm still going to continue taking care of it until I am.

sweetpeadst

Where are you in your hair care journey? Not close enough (But I should be a little closer after my relaxer today)

Are you at a place where you are satisfied NO give me about 5 ore inches!!

I need haelp staying consistent and help with finding staples for my 4b snappy nappy texture! All my 4B ladies whre you at????

Stormy

I suffered a setback when I started going back to the salon getting my hair relaxed. So, I'm making a comeback and it will be awhile before I'm satisfied. I'm getting there though, a lot quicker than I expected.

I only have one problem. It seems like once my hair gets close to shoulder length in the back, the ends start getting thin. This has been going on for years. This time it's only on one side, but I think that's due to that relaxer the stylist put on back in May. I cut the back last night to help with this. If it continues to thin out like this as it gets longer, then I'm just gonna keep it just above shoulder length, or I'll just start wearing a chin length bob. The rest of my hair doesn't thin out like this.

Any of you ladies experience thin ends as your hair grows longer?

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Well I'm closer to my goal than I was last year. Protective styling helped loads but its boring. Its because I'm so close that I'm forcing myself stick with the protective styling. If I'm lucky I may reach my goal of mid back by early 2006.

I'm satisfied with the overall health and appearance of my hair. I'd be even more satisfied if I had another 4 inches.

I pretty much have my regimen, staple products and styling down pat.

Last edited:

dhill830

I have only gotten back into taking care of my hair for the last two months...things have been going well.. my only problem is, is that I want gowth to happen much faster than it is possible to happen. I see other peoples pictures on this hair board and I always get depressed with how long and beautiful and healthy their hair is compared to mine. :crying3:

Which is ridiculous of course considering how much longer they have been at it compared to me! but that is my problem.. I started taking care of my hair a year ago and then stopped and fell back into my old ways after about 4 months.. so now I'm mad at myself:mad: because I am sure I could have been well on my way to Bra strap length by now if I had stuck with the program.

Oh well, not point crying over spilt milk! I am going to stick with no matter what!:) but who knew that trying to grow long healthy hair could be so engulfing:confused:

locabouthair

Where are you in your hair care journey? My hair is basically the same length as before. I havent made any progress.

Are you at a place where you are satisfied No i am not satisfied because it seems like my styling options are limited. i see a lot of hair when i take out my cornrows and im not sure if its because i wasnt combing it for that week or it its just breakage. I have been natural for 4 months i havent seen any changes in length. i really want the front to grow because it broke off a lot when i tired to hot comb it myself. in conclusion a relaxer is very tempting right now. im thinking about buy MTG but im a little skeptical. I really feel like giving up on this whole hair thing.

Are you experiencing anything you may need others to offer advice for? maybe styling options.

Last edited:

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Stormy said:
Any of you ladies experience thin ends as your hair grows longer?

I almost didn't answer this for fear that the 'anti protective styling' ladies would beat me :lol: but here goes.....

I did have the same problem and couldn't figure out why my hair did this. I thught my only solutuion would be to keep my hair cut above my shoulders. A waist length acquaintance suggested I clip my hair up to keep my ends from rubbing against my clothes. She suggested I do it long enough for my hair to grow past shoulder legnth. I honestly did not believe her until I started doing that. I began wearing claw clips, french rolls, tucked under ponytails, etc in aneffort to save my precious ends. It worked for me.

Also, do you wrap your hair? If so are you making sure to alternate to which side you wrap? This was another problem that I had with my ends appearing thinner. The very last time I cut my thin ends I started alternating which side I wrap to and it helped alot.

Just a few suggestions....

Sosoothing

simplycee said:
I almost didn't answer this for fear that the 'anti protective styling' ladies would beat me :lol: but here goes.....

I did have the same problem and couldn't figure out why my hair did this. I thught my only solutuion would be to keep my hair cut above my shoulders. A waist length acquaintance suggested I clip my hair up to keep my ends from rubbing against my clothes. She suggested I do it long enough for my hair to grow past shoulder legnth. I honestly did not believe her until I started doing that. I began wearing claw clips, french rolls, tucked under ponytails, etc in aneffort to save my precious ends. It worked for me.

Also, do you wrap your hair? If so are you making sure to alternate to which side you wrap? This was another problem that I had with my ends appearing thinner. The very last time I cut my thin ends I started alternating which side I wrap to and it helped alot.

Does that mean after you passed the shoulder-length "growth hump" you wore protective styles less?
My hair is about 2in past my shoulders so its at this stage. I wear protective styles but sometimes Im tempted to wear it down. I just dont want to over do it (wearing it down).
I think Im making progress and Im satisfied, for now:look: .

Bmm

Porsche19- Be patient with your hair. Maybe you can try a condtioner that adds volume?

Natural ladies, what do you do for volume?

sweetpeadst- I know what you mean when you say not close enough. I know you love yoru phyto. Have you tried their shampoo & conditioner?

simplycee, it is hella boring. :lol: I want to know how you bun experts stay focused.

dhill830, you sound like me...girl you will get there. Just keep up all the good work. I think the key is not to watch your hair so closely.

Experts I know you all are out there...chime in anytime.

Last edited:

kizzylonghair

I have stretched to 11 weeks post- relaxer. Cant say i am happy right now. Boring buns for da past 3 weeks.
But that aside I am looking forward to tommorow as I am relaxing. Any length I will retain will be THE LONGEST MY HAIR HAS EVER BEEN IN MY LIFE__YEAH :smile

I may be after I relax tommorow!!!!

I seem to loose my ends after about week 7 post relax. Not breakage, But as I gain roots my ends look thin,stringy and dont look flat.

Kizzy x

Last edited:

Stormy

simplycee said:

Thanks simplycee. No I don't wrap, but I wear buns. I know sometimes when you wear them for too long, your hair will break off and/or start thinning in places in the back. Maybe if I switch up more and wear my hair in the french rolls or tucks like you do that will help, instead of wearing the buns so much.

Last edited:

SqrpioQutie

well, i'm nowhere near my first goal (shoulder length) but i'm happy with the progress that i'm making... now if i could just get consistent with my nighttime regimine, i'll be happy... but my journey pretty much started 5 months ago and i bc'd errthang in june... so having said all of that, i think i've had pretty good growth since then and it's definitely much thicker... thanks LHCF!!!

nicki6

I'll say that I'm halfway there. I have been actively trying to grow my hair for the past 15 months, but I have weeks where I don't care AT ALL :rolleyes:

Are you at a place where you are satisfied?
HELL TO THE NAW!!! I want 6-8 more inches, but I don't set timetables because it just depresses me if I don't succeed :sad:

Right now my hair is very dry and tangles easily even though I am only 4 weeks post relaxer. It loves the Silicon Mix, so I'll be using that 2x weekly. I am shedding a bit more than usual, too.

I will NOT be revisiting the salon anytime soon. During my last 2 relaxers, she ran the cream through my ENTIRE length:eek: That's My fault for not speaking up :wallbash: But the last time, she was way too rough while wrapping it and I saw broken off pieces on my shoulders:mad:

I CAN JACK MY OWN HAIR UP FOR FREE!!

Deniece

Natural Beauty
Where are you in your hair care journey? Well I am close to my 1st goal which is to narrow down the right products for my hair...I've got the moisturizer part down...still having trouble w/ shampoo & conditioner.

Are you at a place where you are satisfied?...I am satisfied w/ the overall health of my hair..cause w/out touching it to see how soft it is you can literally look at it and see the health and I am so happy about that. I am satisfied w/ my regimen which is shampoo & deep condition once a week, and I change my hairstyle once a week too. Have recently learned how to flat-twist and that opened up doors for me on styles...I'm satisfied w/ what I can do w/ my hair..just not satisfied w/ products and I want more length...but every weekend I be like damn...what am I gonna do when my hair gets past my shoulders....cause not to mention the thickness...oh my goodness.. my hair is no joke....it already takes me up to 4 hours to do it...but hey gotta love it

Are you experiencing anything you may need others to offer advice for? Good shampoo & conditioner and I like natural paraben free products.

sweetcakes14

i'm on my way to armpit length. It's amazing how my hair is growing. Right now I'm 8 weeks post relaxer and have another 4 weeks to go.

While my hair is growing, I have been experiencing shedding and some breakage during the past 2-3 weeks. I had to pull out my Good ole Sta-Sof Fro this morning, cause my ends were poofy. Once I sprayed it on, the comb glided through my hair.

Yes, my ends. Because of the shedding/breakage, my ends seem a little brittle and I really don't want to do a trim. I've been doing a lite dusting every few weeks, but now I'm afraid that due to the breakage, I'm going to have to trim. Also, I airdry my hair and I'm wondering if that's what's causing my ends to be soo brittle sometimes. I don't experience that when I rollerset. I take extra care to moisturize the hell out of my ends daily and after I wash I add my leave in and coconut oil to the ends as well.

I don't know.

MissYocairis

Bmm said:
Hi ladies,

I am sad about my current point. :( I started out good. Grew my neck length hair to a solid shoulder length.

I've been bunning since January and have significantly reduced heat styling to near nothing. I've also switched to phyto, started stretching out to 9 wks, and used MTG (though I have slacked off since July). My hair did AWESOME. :D I gained about 4.5 inches betw. Jan-July.

Then, at the end of July, I stopped MTG (got tired of it messing up my jewelry) :swearing :and I had been swimming about 3x / week & didn't want MTG and Chlorine both in my hair like that. Though I've "wet" it daily and bunned it daily, I still feel like I am at the same length as end of July. :angry2: I am disgusted that I slacked on my MTG and stopped my vits and water altogether. :spank: My hair seems stunted to me. :nono:

Either way, I am getting back on the horse :bud: with an updated regimen now that I know what works and what doesn't.

I guess my advice would be to determine a regimen that makes your hair "happy" and stick with it like your life depends on it. :bookworm: I have both seen results from dedication and I have seen the results from slacking. I prefer what I saw when I was more dedicated. :scratchch

karezone

Bmm said:
Hi ladies,

I was just thinking this would help some of us that may need it… to vent our hair frustations if there are any…and the best part share good news. I know some of us have issues from time to time.( myself included)

I am back at the begining. I am actually happy with my hair. No. I have fresh relaxer, great roller set, and a good wrap. Life is good. :D

Victorian

old head
Bmm said:
Hi ladies,

I'm at sort of an anxious, anticipatory phase, but in a good way. I'm not at my goal yet but I'm working towards it and seeing progress. Technique-wise I know what works for me, but product-wise I have a couple more Jason products that I just gotta try :lol: I DO have my staples in order, though, which is a relief after spending a lot of my early LHCF days searching.

I believe CantBeCopied's advice to stick with your regimen really is key. Finding that regimen may take you a while depending on the state of your hair, your goal, and chance (which products/techniques you happen to try first). You just gotta keep going, respond immediately to any clues your hair gives you, and be diligent.

And be optimistic! This is should be a fun and exciting journey, not a depressing burden. Do what you have to do to make it fun; Take pictures, keep a journal (something I think is a good idea anyway so you can remember things--You WILL forget), have a hair buddy--whatever you have to do to keep your spirits high.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Lkaysgirl said:
Does that mean after you passed the shoulder-length "growth hump" you wore protective styles less?

Uh nope! :lol: I'm bsl and I still wear protective styles, mostly cause I'm really trying to make it to mid back (27 inches) by spring 06. But I do wear my hair out more now than I did then. :)

chocolate01

I have been on my healthy hair journey for almost two years now and I know how to get and keep my hair healthy. I did the BC about three months ago so I am in a new stage..caring for my natural hair.

Am I satisfied?

I am satisfied with the progress I have made in the last three months. I added some new pics to my album and it's amazing to see how much my hair has progressed in just three months. I won't however be ultimetly satisfied until I reach my goal of shoulder length unstretched natural hair, but since that is a long way off I am happy with where I am at. I finally have a regimen that I stick too, I gave away all the products that I do not use or don't work. I now have maybe a handful of products in my house. I am ecxited to see what my hair is going to do in the coming months.

Healthb4Length

so far it's going ok, My goal is to reach bra length this year, I think I'm close but I can't tell because of shrinkage. I really hope to get there this year cause my goal for next is waist length or close. If I don't hit that goal this year then I'm doing a major overhaul on my regime.

CurliDiva

I'm brand new to my hair quest (September 1. 2005 was my start date), but I have already learned so MUCH from this website.

My new hair routine is not complex, but it just never clicked with me before that I could make small changes to reap HUGE results.

It is truly inspiring to share this experience with other like-minded women- had such a great time at the DC meeting- and saw living proof that our hair can be Gorgeous!

I'm looking forward to reach my first goal of healthier, full hair (Dec 2005) and the length will follow (BSL by Dec 06).

:) THANKS LHCF!

Where are you in your hair care journey? I've got a ways to go. My goal is armpit length, but with the breakage I suffered in the back I've got to wait for that to catch up with the rest of my hair which is just past my shoulders. I plan to cut the rest of my hair as my breakage area grows to even things up.

Are you at a place where you are satisfied? My breakage area is doing better and I'm satisfied with that. I'll be getting braids soon to help retain some length in that area.

Are you experiencing anything you may need others to offer advice for? Not really.

cocowhite

I am slowly but surely moving along to bra-strap. I thought that I would be there by the end of the year, but I don't think that was a realistic goal for me, so I believe I am about 4" away since back in July.
Are you at a place where you are satisfied? Nope, not yet.

Are you experiencing anything you may need others to offer advice for? Not yet.

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
I am doing great on my road to brastrap. I haven't flat-ironed my hair in over a month and have been doing my CO washes 3-4 times a week. I need to get back on my regimne and make that I do my weekly deep conditioning treatments/light protein since the colder months are ahead.

Right now I wish I had a good five more inches of new growth to be completely satsified but , hopefully I can make it until Dec 14 when stretching. My hair grows faster in all the seasons except summertime. Fall/Winter growth here I come. I already have 3/4 NG since relaxing almost 5 weeks ago. Hopefully 3 inches by Dec should suffice.:D

Whisper

Where are you in your hair care journey
My hair is mid blade in some places and close to my neck in others :mad: back to crown and glorying it!

Absolutely not!! I'm not sure what happened over the summer, but my hair broke off badly , mostly in the middle. I can't proudly wear my hair out! My hair would ALL be mid blade (which was my first goal) if it weren't for the set back needless to say I am :crying3:

[B]Are you experiencing anything you may need others to offer advice for?/B]
Yes, with the breakage I need encouragement!

LeNghtyDreAms

Well for the most part im 2 inches closer to my first goal. But im getting discouraged because i always wear my hair in buns and in the middle of where i put my bun the hair has broken off. It looks like someone took scissors to the middle part of my hair! i dunno how it happen but it's really upseting.

Plus im 10 weeks post relaxer and my hair is uber thick so it hard for me to come through the new growth. Also im trying so hard not to dye my hair again but the roots are showing really badly.

Im discouraged all around, but im trying mtg,and a new vitamin and exercise regime, hopefully this will help me grow out my short area of hair.

do any of you ladies know why my hair could hair broken off in the middle?

Thanx!

CarLiTa

where are you in your hair care journey? right now i'm basically at brastrap in my favorite bra, and about 1/2" away in some of my other bras... i am at about 4 inches from my original ultimate goal of 3" past brastrap

are you at a place where you're satisfied? well basically, i sort of am, because that's where i expected to be right now, so i'm not disappointed... i'm unsatisfied with the shedding i get, but i'm working to cure that... I will be FULLY satisfied when I get to 26 or 27" ... i can imagine how long and thick my hair will look, i hope! as of right now though, i'm just looking forward to at least 2 more inches by December 05

Advice? yes please, i need all the shedding to go away!! i just started oiling my scalp but i only have a little bit of oil left and i dont wanna use too much of it, although i think my scalp needs it to stay moisturized. So, i decided to resort to cowashing more often, to stop my scalp from drying after band practice. I will cowash 2x a week and wash once a week.

Sosoothing

simplycee said:
Uh nope! :lol: I'm bsl and I still wear protective styles, mostly cause I'm really trying to make it to mid back (27 inches) by spring 06. But I do wear my hair out more now than I did then. :)

Thanks for responding. Protective styles, particularly buns, have helped me retain so much length so far. I just need to resist the urge to show it off my as often as I have been lately:D .