Where do Naturals go for a trim?

Cindy70

I just wanted to know if any naturals have gone to any mainstream salons like JcPenney or Hair Cuttery for trims? I know that it varies from salon to salon whether there's a stylist there that can handle black-textured hair, but have any naturals had any experience going to one and was it a good experience. Or is it better to go to a barbershop where most of the clientele is probably going to be natural?

The reason that I want to know is because I cut all of my relaxed hair off at the beginning of March and now have a TWA. I still think that some of the relaxed ends are left even though I've been trying to snip them off whenever I see them. I guess I need to go to a professional and have them give me a light trim. I'm just so afraid that they'll want to cut off what little 'length' I've gained over the last month. I'm not really familiar with how natural hair is cut, will it be possible for the stylist to cut just the straight ends off without removing too much of my natural hair?

Cindy70

I wish that I could find a natural hair salon where I live. Does anyone know of any in the Orlando, Florida area?

loverofnaps71

I am SOOOOOO proud of you ladies for taking the plunge and doing the BC!!! You're going to be very glad you did it. Your hair will grow like wildfire!!! Congrats!

Brittany: I live in the D.C. area. Where did you go for your trim? I'm trying to find a really good natural hair salon for twists, too!

Cindy70

Thanks, loverofnaps.
Hopefully my hair will start growing back quickly. Some of my thinning spots are already starting to fill in.

loverofnaps71

Try using Surge Revitalizer 14 on the thinning spots. Use on the scalp ONLY. I used Surge because the sides of my hair (or the temples) are the thinnest. One terrific thing about being natural is that you are correctly years of damage that relaxers caused by allowing your hair to breathe.

You go, girl. I bet you look absolutely lovely!

hotshot

i get a trim at the dominican salon for about 5 bucks. once i let them blowout my hair for about 15 bucks, and once i blew it out myself before going.

TinyT

Well i cut my own hair, so I am not sure how mainstream places handle highly textured hair. I did get my hair chopped at salon, and the lady used hair cutting shears. However since that time, I have been trimming my own. When it was shorter, I would do twists and trim the ends of each twist. Now that it is longer, I do a roller set, and then trim the hair. My advice would be to go to shops and ask how they would trim your hair. If you like their method, then you could try them.

Ayeshia

I did a DIY for my big chop. Im thinking about going to Fantastic Sams for my first trim to even it out a lil and then trim on my own there after. I think I chopped a lil too much in the front becasue it is about .5 in shorter than the rest of my hair

H

honey_jammz82

I trim my hair myself. I am seriously afraid to go to a salon and get my hair trimmed, I dont trust anyone.

Cindy70

Yeah, I did my BC myself too, and I've been trimming it when I see stray hairs here and there. I actually think that I did a pretty good job of it, and my TWA is a nice shape, but thought that a stylist or barber might be able to help to get rid of the stray hairs for good and give my hair more of a polished look. I was looking in my local yellow pages earlier and think that I found a salon that I'll be going to next week. Thanks for the help, ladies.

brittanynic16

loverofnaps i went to a place called natural shapes. here is the website if you want to check it out natural-shapes.com.

msvaye

I trim my hair myself, I don't trust any 'stylist' with scirrors ~ I know, I have a phobia. So far so good, Natural for 4 years.

Cindy70

brittanynic16, the website for the salon that you went to is really interesting. They have lots of pictures of naturals styles under "clients". The prices for some of their services seems kind of high, except for the hair shaping which was listed at $15. I'd pay that for a trim.

brittanynic16

yeah they are a little high but it is a small thriving business. you will love it though. the people there are wonderful. there is no leaving you alone to sit. when i went i got serviced right way and everyone is really great. i think you will like it. they even have CD hair products.

Cindy70

I wish that I could go there, but I live in Florida. Hopefully I'll be able to find a place as good as that here.

tropicexotic

free @ last
Bump! I need a trim badly, and I have no coordination...I might attempt to trim myself next week and go get it professionally done if it's dissasterous. I'm searching through old threads to see what people's preferences are w/ barbers vs. salons. We've had plenty of naturals join, and people doing the BC since this post. Please share your experiences...thanks :) Any self trimming tips?