• Pin Curl

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Rollerset

Votes: 33 48.5%
  • Both - rollerset first then pincurl for maintenance

Votes: 33 48.5%

• Total voters

Bublin

I have a lot of questions with regards to curls as my hair is collar length and i'm rollersetting from wet about twice a week. My hair loves it but the curls are just sitting on my head, i want them to drop a bit around my face. When i finger comb it looks messy after a couple of days. I also want to reduce my wet-setting to once a week.

Do you Pin Curl or rollerset or both?

Pin Curls -
Do you rollerset first on wash day and then maintain with pin curls or
Do you blowdry hair straight and pin curl overnight?
What products are you using before you pin?

Rollersets -
How do you maintain the curls at night?
How are you styling your hair during the day?
Do you blow the roots or just leave the curls as is?
What products are you using to keep her moisturised?

candiel

When my hair was longer, I rollerset first and then pincurled for maintenance. To rollerset, I just used a little water and Givoanni Direct in a spray bottle. For my pincurls, I just used a little water and coconut oil.

Blu217

I'm a weekly rollersetter and have been wearing nothing but rollersets for most of my life. I don't wrap my sets because to me that defeats the purpose of curling my hair. I've begun mostly fingerstyling in lieu of combing them out; I will comb only in the rare hot-mess emergency (like when I've stretched out an old set for too long). I never, ever blowdry my roots and never really understood that practice after a rollerset--I don't own a blowdryer. I dry with my Pibbs 514. I don't airdry, partly because that would take forever and mostly because my heat-dried sets come out smoother.

When I sleep at night, I either tie my hair in a ponytail on top of my head using a scrunchy, wrap large sections around a few Solar curlers if I just need a curly ponytail or I sleep in rollers if I want to wear my hair down. I always use a satin bonnet. My hair doesn't like heavy oils, so I sparingly run only very light moisturizers thru my hair with wet hands and then I MUST reset for the night. If I use too heavy a product or too heavy a hand, I will gum up/grease up my hair and ruin my set.

I don't like pincurls. I find the curls come out imprecise (mainly the ends) and I hate sleeping in bobbypins. I prefer the look of my fresh rollerset with the big, perfectly formed curls.

My fresh sets usually look like this, and I try to main a similar look until it's ponytail time or wash day.

Last edited:

prospurr4

I started at collar bone length. I chose to grow my hair out using spiral sets, mainly because of low manipulation...I simply redid the style once per week. I didn't finger style the curls because I wanted them to last the entire week and endure my 3-4 workouts. I understand what you mean about "the curls are just sitting on my head." That happen to me too, but I kinda got used to the look and eventually my hair grew enough so that the curls would begin to hang.

I do both.

Pin Curls -
I never use direct heat. I rollerset first on wash day, which is once per week, then maintain with pin curls.

Just a little extra virgin coconut oil and water

Rollersets -
I first pincurl then cover with a silk scarf and satin bonnet.

I wear spiral curls.

Since I don't use direct heat, I leave the curls as is or separate them just a little.

Just a little extra virgin coconut oil and water, once daily at bedtime.

Isis

I do both. :) Since I started with LHCF, I have airdried my hair in a rollerset to straighten it, then most of the time wore my hair in braidout, bun or updo.

Pin Curls -

No blowdrying (no heat). I rollerset first and maintain with pincurls.
Before pincurling, I only moisturize my ends using Constant Care for Ends.

Rollersets -

If I wear my hair down, I maintain the rollerset curls at night just as I described, with pincurls. I leave the roots and curls "as is" since I don't use heat. To keep the roots smooth (or smoother), I do wear a silk or satin scarf tied tightly over my dripping wet hair when airdrying, rollersetting the ends only.

Miss*Tress

Both

Pin Curls -
I roller set on wash day and maintain with either pin curls or dry roller sets.

A moisturizer or coconut oil. I've used ORS Carrot Oil, Mizani H2O Rose, and Profectiv Something-or-other (can't remember the name).

Rollersets -
Dry roller set or pincurls.

Finger comb them out.

Leave as is. I pull the roots taut when setting so they dry straight(ish).

See above.

SVT

I like rollersets right now. I'm using the Hype Hair Satin Cover rollers and Annie Silky Satin rollers. I like Hype Hair's better. The construction is not cheapie like Annie's.

Your Cheeziness

Do you Pin Curl or rollerset or both? both

Pin Curls -
Do you rollerset first on wash day and then maintain with pin curls Yes
I spritz lightly with a liquid leave in and pincurl.
Rollersets -
How do you maintain the curls at night? Sleep in a hairnet and satin bonnet with pincurls.
How are you styling your hair during the day? Take down the pincurls, lightly seperate and go.
Do you blow the roots or just leave the curls as is? Depends on how tight my curls. But most times I just wear a cute headband instead of blowing out the roots.
What products are you using to keep her moisturised? Jane Carter Solution leave in conditioner

For me, the key is to not over-seperate the curls. If you finger comb them out too much, it'll be hard to replicate the next day. I usually seperate one rolled section no more than three times. This way, at night, it's easy to put the section back together with a clean pincurl. Also, if your hair is not shaped into some kind of style, the curls may not hang right either. I had that problem before my haircut.

Perfect example in attachment: On the right side, I seperated too much. The left side is perfect for me and easy to repin.

Attachments

• DSCF3320.jpg
    DSCF3320.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 6