Which order would you do these treatments?

Maayen

So I took down my sew-in today and have a ton of grey hairs. Also my hair is somewhat dry and shedding. (Although I might be unduly worried about the shedding given that my hair hasn't seen a comb in about 6-8 weeks.......)

I plan to do the following treatments but I am not sure in which order to do them to get the best results:

1. Heavy protein treatment - Any recommendations? (which I will follow with a moisturising DC)

2. Henna-Indigo to cover my grey hairs

3. BKT on my leave out hair. I use kinky-straight weave hair which matches my BKT'd leave out hair very well, which I then roller-set to keep straight thereby minimising heat.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated by you lovely ladies as always x

:cheers:

Jazala

Not sure you need all three. Henna binds to the hair and strengthens. The BKT is a protein treatment (keratin). Adding a third heavy protein treatment doesn't sound like a good idea

Does your BKT treatment instructions indicate if you should color before or after?

Tyra

I'm not sure. It seems to me that using all three will leave your hair crunchy and snapping. I would skip the heavy protein treatment. Seriously.

addaboutmyhair

Why heavy protein?

I would shampoo (clarify if you had a lot of product build up). DC.

You need to color before BKT. So then the henna indigo. But if you henna, I don't think you need a protein.

Maayen

Jazala Tyra addaboutmyhair Thanks ladies.

Re the heavy protein my hair has been in a sew in since the beginning of the year and I usually do a heavy protein after each takedown which can be anything from 6-8 weeks. But maybe the henna might suffice with say a few 2x medium proteins over the next 2 weeks and then just BKT over the leave out hair.

ETA: BKT is to be applied after hair color.

jerseygurl

Not a new member
I would skip the protein because henna acts like a protein. If you're still feeling iffy about the protein, I would suggest a light protein like aphogee 2 minute protein. Use a very good moisturizing DC before the henna treatment.

I have no experience with the BKT. Good luck.

Maayen

mayeen

I'm so sorry not trying to high jack but how do you rollerset to keep it straight? I'm wearing kinky straight too.

growinghealthyhair I probably remember to BKT my leave out about 2-3x a year and then will use a flat-iron when I put the sew-in in and then about 1x a month thereafter.

I started doing this after I realised that with BKT and mesh rollers I could get my hair pretty straight on their own. I then bump my hair during the week with Caruso rollers which I have been told is a much kinder heat and keeps my hair pretty straight (but not bone straight).

However, hands down roller-setting the traditional way with mesh rollers will get BKT hair pretty straight. I treat myself to a salon roller-set every two weeks or so. I do my own DC then go to my local salon with my hair still wet for a set and sit under their dryer for 40 mins. Doing my own DC also cuts down the cost and waiting time considerably. She uses the Lottabody Olive oil setting lotion and nothing else on the KS hair and I add leave ins and Mizani H2O intense and Lottabody to my leave out hair. The bounciest curls ever which easily last a week on EPRT and Kinky straight hair.

Maayen

Just picked up the following from another thread:

Everyone is going to have a different experience and opinion of course but the primary difference that I have noticed is that I reap the strengthening benefits of henna with long term use over time, and the strengthening benefits that I receive from a protein treatment are immediate. I henna once per month, use a light protein once per month, and use a heavier protein once per month, so henna does not replace protein for me!